Skip to main content
Topic: Allow me to introduce myself... (Read 3400 times) previous topic - next topic

Allow me to introduce myself...

General Mayhem has been my nick since I was in the Navy. I'll explain that one to you all some other time. Real name is Martin, though my friends insist on calling me Martin. I live in Columbus, OH. and looking for the local T-bird/Cougar club. I know there's one here, I just can't find them.

Just bought my 3rd Fox chassis a few weeks ago, first V8 I've had in one. Bought a Red Turbo Coupe new in '83, was destroyed 3 months later when and idiot eating a Big Mac and getting diretions on his car phone Swerved from an on ramp to the left hand lane and plowwed into my right rear quarter. That spun me through the median where I hit an overpass abuttment sideways right behind the drivers side door. Ripped the car in half.:mad:

Had a couple other cars before getting a black '86 XR-7 turbo. Had 168k mi on it when the turbo blew a seal. Left a two mile cloud of the thickest smoke I ever saw come out of a street car getting to the next exit. I intended to replace the turbo but ran into some hard times and the cat had to go. I almost cried when they towed it away.

So, no sh|t, there I am, driving out west Broad looking for a Durango (don't ask me why) and as I drive past this buy-here-pay-here lot, I see the nose of this Cougar sticking out. Snow white with a GST ground effects package on it. Made a hard left (sorry lady) and bought it on the spot.

5.0 EFI that sounds like it's had some internal mods, nice growl to the exhaust, but the engine looks stock. Body and interior both in excellent shape except for the dash bezels that were hacked up to install a DVD player. (Motorized screen in the front, two more displays in the head rests) The DVD player and screens are departing soon as I'm not about to watch movies while I'm driving and I don't often have passengers. Putting a Sony CD/MP3 player in its place and some Mustang GT seats.

Next spring it will start its serious transformation. 12" disks with dual piston calipers all the way around, 5 lug conversion, 17" ASA mesh wheels and 245x40x17s on the front, 285x40x17s rear. The 'goddamhokeyslushbox' will come out and a 5speed manual will replace it. HO cam and heads (if that's not what's on it now) and a Mallory ignition system, along with some other tweaks.

Hopefully I can repaint it by next winter. The ground effects will come off and be prepped and painted seperately and a new hood and trunk lid with a different spoiler will go on. still trying to decide whether to do the window trim in euro black or body color but I'm leaning toward black.

I'll keep you updated as I go.

Reply #1
Welcome aboard. Nice XR7 :D

When checking out the domain in your email address I found a website dedicated to a very nice 12-sec Grand Prix. That your car too? If so, very nice :headbang:
2015 Mustang GT Premium - 5.0, 6-speed, Guard Green - too much awesome for one car

1988 5.0 Thunderbird :birdsmily: SOLD SEPT 11 2010: TC front clip/hood ♣ Body & paint completed Oct 2007 ♣ 3.55 TC rear end and front brakes ♣ TC interior ♣ CHE rear control arms (adjustable lowers) ♣ 2001 Bullitt springs ♣ Energy suspension poly busings ♣ Kenne Brown subframe connectors ♣ CWE engine mounts ♣ Thundercat sequential turn signals ♣ Explorer overhead console (temp/compass display) ♣ 2.25" off-road dual exhaust ♣ T-5 transmission swap completed Jan 2009 ♣

Reply #2
Actually that's my friends car. It's officially the quickest street legal front drive four door in the country. His boss owns the quickest front drive car in the country. They work at Intense Racing Products making high performance parts for Pontiac V6s. Poor dumb s...  Pontiacs? Gimme a break. And front drive at that. I keep telling them to get real cars but they won't listen.

Reply #3
nice XR7

the electronics in it look freakin stoneage:pbb:

gotta fix that lol

can ya snag a pic of the 5-0?

welcome aboard

Reply #4
Quote from: *MAYHEM*;104303
I live in Columbus, OH. and looking for the local T-bird/Cougar club. I know there's one here, I just can't find them.

Most of us here attend the Catjam show in Youngstown, OH. If that is the club your talking about.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Reply #5
Quote from: weasle;104320
Most of us here attend the Catjam show in Youngstown, OH. If that is the club your talking about.

May be. I had a friend who was in a T-bird club based in Columbus a few years ago but I haven't heard from him in a few years. He had invited me to join several years ago when I was living in Findlay and I never got the details from him.

BTW: Nice ride. I'm looking for a similar visual effect from mine, but Ill be keeping a low hood, possibly a TC hood, and she'll be BRIGHT monochrome red. :D

Reply #6
Alot of us are from the central ohio area.  I'm from Lancaster.  It's good to have you around.
84 TC 302 -5.0L/t5/7.5 locking rear and a 3.45 gear, Edelbrock Intake, Aluminum Heads, Edlebrock 65mm Throttlebody, Edlebrock Cam, 24lb injectors & MAS Air Sensor calibrated via chip,  BBK headers, Catback H pipe, Magnaflow lers :evilgrin:
:pics-stfu:

Project Thread with pics

Reply #7
nice....sweet car, rarely do you find them these days like that.
:america: 1988 Thunderbird Sport, Former 4.6 DOHC T56 conversion project.

Rest of the country, Welcome to Massachusettes. Enjoy your stay.

Halfbreed... Mango Orange Y2K Mustang GT
FRPP complete 2000 Cobra engine swap, T56 n' junk...
~John~

Reply #8
Aother Ohio Guy, Sweet. great lookin car

Reply #9
Ha, who installed those electronics?

"Man, this monitor won't fit...get me the angle ginder!"

Garrett H.
'94 F250 XLT- 4x4, 5 speed, 7.3 IDI Turbo Diesel, 4" intake, 4" exhaust, 5" turnout stacks, manual hubs, etc.
'87 Thunderbird Turbo Coupe
Engine, wheels, tires, etc!
Exhaust sound clip
Another clip

Reply #10
Quote from: Red_LX;104356
Ha, who installed those electronics?

"Man, this monitor won't fit...get me the angle ginder!"

Yeah, that's what I said.

No biggie. I'll get new bezels from a junk yard (and maybe some Mustang GT seats) and it'll be good as new.

Actually I think he used a chainsaw.

Here's a pic with the monitor up. Has a high coolness factor but not something I need and it's just a big bullseye screaming, "BUST A WINDOW AND RIP ME OFF!!"

Reply #11
OOps. Forgot the pic.

Reply #12
Looks like you have a nice project car. I like it!
Welcome to the forums.

I've never understood the fascination with TVs in cars. To me, it makes as much sense as custom wheels larger than 18" on a passenger car. It's all flash.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Reply #13
Quote from: cougarcragar;104361
Looks like you have a nice project car. I like it!
Welcome to the forums.

I've never understood the fascination with TVs in cars. To me, it makes as much sense as custom wheels larger than 18" on a passenger car. It's all flash.
:iagree:

I'd like to have a small touch screen monitor controlling a computer so I could have all my MP3's in the car, but now that stereos are finally coming out with USB ports in em I wouldn't even have a use for that. I had been holding off building a car computer until I could get a solid-state storage solution (including the OS) so I wouldn't have to expose a hard drive to extreme vibration, hot & cold, but now it's moot (or it will be on my next stereo upgrade). Of course I'd have to open the stereo and make a USB extension cord so I could mount the socket in the glove box so it wouldn't be hanging out of the dash, but once it's done it'll be great - Plug a thumb drive into the hidden USB port and voila :shakeass:

I've never been able to understand the fascination with nav systems either. The few times I'm somewhere where I don't know where I am would never justify the cost.
2015 Mustang GT Premium - 5.0, 6-speed, Guard Green - too much awesome for one car

1988 5.0 Thunderbird :birdsmily: SOLD SEPT 11 2010: TC front clip/hood ♣ Body & paint completed Oct 2007 ♣ 3.55 TC rear end and front brakes ♣ TC interior ♣ CHE rear control arms (adjustable lowers) ♣ 2001 Bullitt springs ♣ Energy suspension poly busings ♣ Kenne Brown subframe connectors ♣ CWE engine mounts ♣ Thundercat sequential turn signals ♣ Explorer overhead console (temp/compass display) ♣ 2.25" off-road dual exhaust ♣ T-5 transmission swap completed Jan 2009 ♣

Reply #14
Quote from: Thunder Chicken;104366
:iagree:

I'd like to have a small touch screen monitor controlling a computer so I could have all my MP3's in the car, but now that stereos are finally coming out with USB ports in em I wouldn't even have a use for that. I had been holding off building a car computer until I could get a solid-state storage solution (including the OS) so I wouldn't have to expose a hard drive to extreme vibration, hot & cold, but now it's moot (or it will be on my next stereo upgrade). Of course I'd have to open the stereo and make a USB extension cord so I could mount the socket in the glove box so it wouldn't be hanging out of the dash, but once it's done it'll be great - Plug a thumb drive into the hidden USB port and voila :shakeass:

I've never been able to understand the fascination with nav systems either. The few times I'm somewhere where I don't know where I am would never justify the cost.

I have a laptop with a GPS unit and Mappoint 2006. Trust me, it's been well worth the cost of the GPS and software.

The DVD has a jack (RCA) to plug video into it and the lappy has video out, so I could plug it into the DVD, but I'd be looking at a smaller screen.