Skip to main content
Topic: What's the going price for a GT-40 Tubular intake? (Read 2064 times) previous topic - next topic

What's the going price for a GT-40 Tubular intake?

I see them on ebay, sometimes they're $400, sometimes they're $1000.  There's one being sold locally for $600, but that seems like a lot for an intake.

P.S. - If anyone wants to sell me one, I'm very interested!
1988 Cougar LS - Cinnabar/Rose Quartz Metallic two tone - 3.8 V6 - Rescue
1988 Cougar LS - Cinnabar/Rose Quartz Metallic two tone - 5.0 V8 - Survivor

Reply #1
those prices are in range... be careful what they include with the price, though.  Some of the smaller items and pieces are hard to find and can add significantly to the overall price if purchased by themselves.

Reply #2
Like what parts?  Vacuum hoses and bolts?  I'm not a pro motor builder so I don't know all the little bits and bobs that go on it lol

Reply #3
I've seen them as low as $150 a few times...

id say $400 is the going rate, unless your looking for the 351 gt-40 lightning lower. those go for a good bit for some reason.
Quote from: jcassity
I honestly dont think you could exceed the cost of a new car buy installing new *stock* parts everywhere in your coug our tbird. Its just plain impossible. You could revamp the entire drivetrain/engine/suspenstion and still come out ahead.
Hooligans! 
1988 Crown Vic wagon. 120K California car. Wifes grocery getter. (junked)
1987 Ford Thunderbird LX. 5.0. s.o., sn-95 t-5 and an f-150 clutch. Driven daily and going strong.
1986 cougar.
lilsammywasapunkrocker@yahoo.com

Reply #5
Unless you really, really have to have a tubular GT40 the Explorer GT40 flows exactly the same and can be had for $100-150 for the upper and lower. Yes the tubular GT40 looks awesome but the Explorer GT40 flows the same and makes the same power ;).
88 Thunderbird LX: 306, Edelbrock Performer heads, Comp 266HR cam, Edelbrock Performer RPM intake, bunch of other stuff.

Reply #6
Is the lower gt-40 intake the same as a stock 5.0, or a 5.0 HO?

Reply #7
Quote from: Driverguy;436250

Its not the same because the runners are different shaped coming into it.  Not sure if it flows more or not.
Mike

Reply #8
Quote from: Driverguy;436250

Not at all. The GT40 lower will only bolt to a tubular GT40 upper, Cobra upper, or Explorer upper. All those intakes are the same. They all flow about 40-50cfm more than a HO intake.
88 Thunderbird LX: 306, Edelbrock Performer heads, Comp 266HR cam, Edelbrock Performer RPM intake, bunch of other stuff.

Reply #9
Driverguy.  Tried to reply to your PM, but your inbox is full!
T-Birds can't fly.  Ask how I know...

Reply #10
The Cobra or Explorer can be made to flow more than the GT40 upper by a quite a bit.  As stated above the lower for these three intakes is the same.  TMoss on the Corral is the guy I sent my Cobra lower to to get it ported.  He said that the upper was not that big of a restriction for my old combo (306 with pretty much stock heads).  With my current 331 he could have worked them over to make the power I wanted but the $$$ outweighed just selling the Cobra setup and buying and Edelbrock Performer RPM II upper and lower.

Anyhow, the GT40 upper looks pretty cool but as far as performance it is what it is as it cannot be ported.

Darren

83 351W TKO'd T-Bird on the bottle

93 331 Mustang Coupe - 368 rwhp