Skip to main content
Topic: Bird emblem removal? (Read 935 times) previous topic - next topic

Bird emblem removal?

How does the side Bird emblems come off on an 86 TC?(behind side glass) I tried to razor blade it off but it would not budge. Trunk emblems use two way tape. The side emblems seem to be bolted on. thanks in advance

John
John

Bird emblem removal?

Reply #1
there are studs on the back of those emblems that go through the quarter panel. The nuts can only be accessed from inside the car after you take out the plastic panels.

Bird emblem removal?

Reply #2
you'll have to fill the holes somehow or water will leak in there when it rains.Not a good thing.
'88 Sport--T-5,MGW shifter,Trick Flow R intake,Ed Curtis cam,Trick Flow heads,Scorpion rockers,75mm Accufab t-body,3G,mini starter,Taurus fan,BBK long tube headers,O/R H-Pipe, Flowamaster Super 44's, deep and deeper Cobra R wheels, Mass Air and 24's,8.8 with 3.73's,140 mph speedo,Mach 1 chin spoiler,SN-95 springs,CHE control arms,aluminum drive shaft and a lot more..

Bird emblem removal?

Reply #3
I'm glad he asked that question. Now I know what I gotta do to get 'em off when I prep the blue one for paint. Very similar to the one on the grille, then, eh? Are the studs in the same place so that they're interchangeable with the grill?

I'll probably do all the trim removal, and gut the interior with the exception of the driver's seat, but I'm no painter. I can handle some of the body work to get it close, but then I gotta turn it over to the pros if I want it to look good. But, no point in paying for expensive labor to R&R trim parts.  Same story goes for the two small fillers between the QP's and the roof, right? Wouldn't hurt my feelings to make sure that seam gets a good coat too.
:birdsmily:
(X2) '86 Thunderbird, 3.8L CFI, C5 Tranny

'92 F-150, 5.0L EFI (SD), M5OD Tranny, 3.08 Dif

'70 VW Beetle, 1780cc, twin Solex 43's.

Bird emblem removal?

Reply #4
I'll bet that you will drop at least 1 nut in the wheelwell on each side. It always happens. lol.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
***** Project "EVOLUTION" 1987 Cougar LS  & 1985 Cougar Convertible *****
[/COLOR]
5.0 HO 306 roller block, machined GT-40P heads, Wiseco dished forged pistons, Eagle forged floating I-beam connecting rods, Lunati pushrods, ARP bolts, Scorpion aluminum 1.6 rockers, Comp Cams Magnum 266HR, Explorer intake, 65mm TB, MAF Conversion, 19# injectors, Ford Racing stainless P-headers, 2-1/2" cat-less exhaust w/ Flowtech Afterburner lers , SC AOD with 2800 BDR torque converter, 3.73 T-Lok rear, CHE rear control arms, full 2-1/2" frame w/1" jacking rails & seat supports, Rear disk brakes, Turbine wheels, All original interior w/ floor shift upgrade .......
Pretty much every panel on my 87 is new, rebuilt, or re constructed. :D
Join us on Facebook

Bird emblem removal?

Reply #5
Oh man, I was taking coach lamps off a car in the JY and I dropped my friggin' Snap-On socket!! I guess I got lucky though, because there was so much insulation that I just reached in from a different spot and picked it up before it made it all the way down.

Whew! That would have really bothered me, losing a $15 socket to that POS. Especially for lamps that almost worked. But not quite.
1983 Tbird with '03 Split Port V6 motor swap done! Headers, dual exhaust, 500CFM Edelbrock, 3G upgrade, Electric fan. 3.73 Gears and an FRPP Limited Slip. Five lug complete! 5-Speed conversion complete! Standalone Fuel Injection in progress...

Bird emblem removal?

Reply #6
Quote from: daminc;291107
I'll bet that you will drop at least 1 nut in the wheelwell on each side. It always happens. lol.

I dropped a couple of the nuts taking mine off. However not too hard to retrieve since I have the interior gutted to begin with.

Oh yeah I did put pieces of duct tape on the inside of the holes in the quarter panel until I am ready to put the emblems back on.

Bird emblem removal?

Reply #7
I have the most wonderful tool for that. I have a nice speaker magnet with 2 inch diameter hole. Stick it to the sheet metal around what I'm taking off, and bingo, it grabs it. Frickin strong magnet too. Of course, that only works on ferrous (iron or steel) parts, but won't work well for stainless, and not at all for brass/aluminum.

Another good approach is to stuff something down in the side before starting so if a nut does get dropped, it bounces back out into the car. Wadded up newspaper works wonders for preventing things from going into places you don't want 'em to go. I keep bits of styrofoam packaging around just for such purposes. I'm always working on something that likes to steal and hide objects for eternity.

I learned some pretty good tricks building control panels with false backs in them.
:birdsmily:
(X2) '86 Thunderbird, 3.8L CFI, C5 Tranny

'92 F-150, 5.0L EFI (SD), M5OD Tranny, 3.08 Dif

'70 VW Beetle, 1780cc, twin Solex 43's.