Skip to main content
Topic: I got hijacked! (Read 4037 times) previous topic - next topic

I got hijacked!

Reply #15
restart in safemode and run your virus software.

malewarebytes.com is great,, running it in parallel with spybot

I got hijacked!

Reply #16
I love spybot. It doesn't get everything, but has kept the wifes laptop running with very few issues for about 2 years now. If you have it pop back up, you could always try restoring to a previous date. I would recomend a full system restore if you have any problems in the future. Do not call gateway and buy there garbage. The only thing it will do is put more  on there for you.
Quote from: jcassity
I honestly dont think you could exceed the cost of a new car buy installing new *stock* parts everywhere in your coug our tbird. Its just plain impossible. You could revamp the entire drivetrain/engine/suspenstion and still come out ahead.
Hooligans! 
1988 Crown Vic wagon. 120K California car. Wifes grocery getter. (junked)
1987 Ford Thunderbird LX. 5.0. s.o., sn-95 t-5 and an f-150 clutch. Driven daily and going strong.
1986 cougar.
lilsammywasapunkrocker@yahoo.com

I got hijacked!

Reply #17
i didnt read the rest of the thread... i'd say go into MSconfig, start up tab, and see if you cant get around it starting up when windows starts.  avg is free.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
:america: An American Restoration. :birdsmily:
1987 Ford Thunderbird Sport (resting)
1993 Mazda Miata 1.6l (daily driver)

I got hijacked!

Reply #18
out of curiousity what exactly did you do on hijackthis that didnt work?

even though you put a bandaid on it with your antivirus you should run a destructive recovery to completely remove it and all the other  you downloaded to try and get rid of it.

and fyi if your not sure how to get into safe mode type msconfig into your run command window (win+r), go to boot.ini tab and click on safe boot option. apply and when it asks to restart do so.
once your done toying around there to go back to the standard windows open msconfig again and click in the general tab normal start up.
your done.
"Beating the hell out of other peoples cars since 1999"
1983 Ford Thunderbird Heritage
1984 Ford Mustang GT Turbo Convertible

I got hijacked!

Reply #19
Quote from: Ductape91;285713
out of curiousity what exactly did you do on hijackthis that didnt work?

even though you put a bandaid on it with your antivirus you should run a destructive recovery to completely remove it and all the other  you downloaded to try and get rid of it.

and fyi if your not sure how to get into safe mode type msconfig into your run command window (win+r), go to boot.ini tab and click on safe boot option. apply and when it asks to restart do so.
once your done toying around there to go back to the standard windows open msconfig again and click in the general tab normal start up.
your done.

Are you asking me? If so, the issue was that whatever took over the computer would not allow me to open any programs. Anything that had a .exe file to start was blocked. I tried renaming it but no luck. If there was a way to run the progam remotely I didn't know what that was.

A destructive recovery? I'm not sure what that is... you mean run the recovery disc? Will I have to re-load everything? I did remove all of the stuff I downloaded to combat the virus though.

I got hijacked!

Reply #20
i went and re-read the thread and i missed that part (about the .exe thing) sorry about that i thought it was something you tried on it that didnt work.
ive never had an issue with using hijackthis when ive had to use it i mean.

as for destructive recovery, it is what it sounds like so yes you would basically be setting the computer back to the way you bought it and would lose what is on it that you didnt back up onto something. if you computer doesnt have a recovery partition then you would need the CDs that came with it for that.
if your computer works fine now and your happy with it then disreguard what ive typed here, its irrelevant then.
if your computer was hijacked and even though you use antivirus or whatever its still there, they dont remove them jand ust bandaid your computer around them or quarenteen them. thats not effective enough for me.

and for the ones that recommend programs they never used, dont.

I got hijacked!

Reply #21
Wow what makes you such an authority on what programs to use and what to do? None of what was listed was bad information.
I honestly dont think you could exceed the cost of a new car buy installing new *stock* parts everywhere in your coug our tbird. Its just plain impossible. You could revamp the entire drivetrain/engine/suspenstion and still come out ahead.
Hooligans! 
1987 Ford Thunderbird LX. 5.0. s.o., sn-95 t-5 and an f-150 clutch. Driven daily and going strong.
1986 cougar.

I got hijacked!

Reply #22
authority? what little authority i have is the programs that i would recommend "I" actually use. i use 2 simple programs and thats hijackthis and unlocker, thats it. no antivirus,spyware,bloatware or whatever name i feel like calling it and its been working fine for me for many years, works even better on my new computer. its all i would recommend and didnt waste a post recommending something i dont use.
what good would that advice be if "you" had no experiance with it?

relax:bowdown:. dont take my ignorance for being pen 15y, what i dont know about computers could fill a warehouse but my computers all work like the day i got them so i gotta be doing something right.

I got hijacked!

Reply #23
When things come to this, without having to spend hours doing things manually, installing malewarebytes, renaming the executable, and launching the application can many times fix these problems. Rootkits can be more severe but someone DID make some "program"/script that takes a couple hours to dig through the system and find signs of a rootkit camouflaging itself. Of course, they are above the operating system and can hide from any software if they are programmed well enough. I'll try to remember the name of the only decent rootkit removal utility (only one I've found to actually work now days) for future reference. The program had no GUI - it ran everything in a command prompt window and used vbscript iirc.

It is my experience that normally antivirus programs are useless now days, especially with rootkit malware out there. Spybot and AdAware haven't been helpful in a few years now.

Lastly, system restores, especially those in the more effective Windows Vista and Windows 7, can restore prior to these infections but you may also lose any files that were changed since the restore point.
1988 Thunderbird Sport

I got hijacked!

Reply #24
malewarebytes.com is good but i recommend a sweep of :

Microsoft Windows Malicious Software Removal Tool.

I run AVG every night.

Another tool that is great if you can locate the vicious program but can't get rid of it is:

RemoveOnReboot

GOOGLE them
:america: 1988 Thunderbird Sport, Former 4.6 DOHC T56 conversion project.

Rest of the country, Welcome to Massachusettes. Enjoy your stay.

Halfbreed... Mango Orange Y2K Mustang GT
FRPP complete 2000 Cobra engine swap, T56 n' junk...
~John~

I got hijacked!

Reply #25
Quote from: Seek;285802
When things come to this, without having to spend hours doing things manually, installing malewarebytes, renaming the executable, and launching the application can many times fix these problems. Rootkits can be more severe but someone DID make some "program"/script that takes a couple hours to dig through the system and find signs of a rootkit camouflaging itself. Of course, they are above the operating system and can hide from any software if they are programmed well enough. I'll try to remember the name of the only decent rootkit removal utility (only one I've found to actually work now days) for future reference. The program had no GUI - it ran everything in a command prompt window and used vbscript iirc.

It is my experience that normally antivirus programs are useless now days, especially with rootkit malware out there. Spybot and AdAware haven't been helpful in a few years now.

Lastly, system restores, especially those in the more effective Windows Vista and Windows 7, can restore prior to these infections but you may also lose any files that were changed since the restore point.

Good info. The one on my ex's machine even prevented system restore from operating (XP though).

I had to do safe mode w/ SuperAntiSpyware, then malwarebytes, then went to Hijackthis! to ensure that it was gone, though they claimed that rootkit stuff is virtually impossible to remove without starting over (reformat, reinstall Windows.)
11.96 @ 118 MPH old 306 KB; 428W coming soon.

I got hijacked!

Reply #26
Sorry I didn't mean to sound that harsh. There was sarcasum intended, but doesn't go well online. I was more or less messing with you.
Hooligans! 
1986 cougar.