Skip to main content
Topic: laptop battery vent (they fix themselves?) (Read 1809 times) previous topic - next topic

laptop battery vent (they fix themselves?)

I think i have came across a way to wake up a battery gone bad.

April 07
company sent me a dell laptop and one battery

fall of 07
battery was not taking a charge or simply not holding up more than a half hour.
I put up with this issue for several more months.

spring08
New battery supplied to me.
pulled old battery and sat it to the side.

fall 08
got a 100w Targus power supply because now my second newer battery was doing the same thing only worse. The battey would not take any charge at all.,,none.
I measured the output of the dell power supply and it seemed fine but what the hell,,

Dell power supply spec 11-16vdc , 8A , @100W
New Targus spec 15-24vdc, 6.5A,  @100w

pretty compatable.
I tried the new power supply and not only did it work but it it also charged the old battery which got to the point it was not taking charge as well.
I just tossed my old dell power supply off to the side of my office on a shelf.

This past week spring 09
my old battery (0riginal from 07) started not taking charge.  I installed the spare newer one and it also would not take charge.

I got home, and for the hell of it , I hooked up my original dell power supply.  Both batteries took a charge no problem.

A normal person would think now that the targus power supply is bad, but what does that say for the original Dell power supply that I thought was bad?

I had some discussion with a guy at work and he says that some of these lithium batteries have a charge management circuit in them.  The repeated charge from one power supply finally hit a breaking point where the battery would not recognize nor activate into charge mode.

introducing the other power supply also introduced a totally different power current / voltage level thus the battery was switched back on so to speak and was able to take a new charge.

Basically here is what happened,,,
Tossing something on the shelf for a while let it have time to fix itself.

these darn things drive me nuts.  Thought I would share with you all this info.  Batt goes dead then dont buy a new batt, introduce another power supply and it might wake up the battery.

see pic of batt below.

Reply #1
how do you know howto figure out what a comperable charger would be? I wouldn't want to fry something. But my hp battery won't take a charge.

Reply #2
your power supply says its rating...............

you multiply your output voltage times the output current.

In my case, the dell power supply average dc voltage is about 13V.

13Vdc x 8A = about 100w

My Targus power supply is also about 100w.

You simply go to a best buy or the like,, hunt down a universal power charger.  The new charger made by targus will come with ever adaptor immaginable for any PC.

Slap it on and I bet your battery wakes up.

I am going to use my old dell charger for a while and when the batteries start to act up again, im gonna toss the Targus charger back on.

Reply #3
I think the inrush current from a different power supply triggers the non chargeable battery to take a charge.

Reply #4
confirmed...........

battery packs are all live and well.

when these start acting up, i will introduce my targus power supply.

Reply #5
I cant find a universal charger that has hte connector for my school ibm... :(

Reply #6
The original 90w power supply for my dell 1705 took a  about a year after I got the laptop. It would still power the computer but the computer didnt recognize the power supply, so it throttled down and wouldnt charge my battery. I didnt know it was the power supply at the time so I tore apart my 9 cell battery for nothing. After dealing with a computer in "limp mode" for like a year I bought a 130w power supply for an xps on ebay. No problems with that one at all... except the video card took a  (my fault overclocking) so its been on the shelf for a while.
93 Festiva L, 193k miles, BP+T/G25MR swap, T3 50trim .48/.42, SRT FMIC, Capri electronics/Rocketchip, 2.5" exhaust
bests: ET 12.86, MPH 110.25, 1.92 short
02 Subaru Impreza WRX, 129k miles
97 Subaru Impreza Outback Sport, 236k miles

Reply #7
tried ebay?
http://shop.ebay.com/?_from=R40&_trksid=p3907.m38.l1313&_nkw=universal+laptop+charger&_sacat=See-All-Categories
Quote from: jcassity
I honestly dont think you could exceed the cost of a new car buy installing new *stock* parts everywhere in your coug our tbird. Its just plain impossible. You could revamp the entire drivetrain/engine/suspenstion and still come out ahead.
Hooligans! 
1988 Crown Vic wagon. 120K California car. Wifes grocery getter. (junked)
1987 Ford Thunderbird LX. 5.0. s.o., sn-95 t-5 and an f-150 clutch. Driven daily and going strong.
1986 cougar.
lilsammywasapunkrocker@yahoo.com

Reply #8
try walmart, the sell those targus power supply things there also.
i got mine there for way too much(65bucks) but had to since i had no internet without it.

as for your battery situation i would like to chime in if you checked the socket on the computer which you plug the power supply into?
mine(a dell inspiron 1000) had a similar charging situation happen where the battery wouldnt hold a charge, or more specifically wouldnt charge back up if i let the battery get to a certain point. it would also intermittenly not charge unless the computer was in safemode or bios. it doesnt do that anymore.
eventually the original power supply burned out and i wondered if it was because it seemed to be charging all the time but wouldnt charge the battery up. checked the cells and it showed that it wasnt charging and just assumed it was because the battery was old. real old.
while taking the computer apart to clean it i noticed the plug in socket was a little distorted and dirty looking and when i touched it it moved a little too much. after repairing it i put it back together and it charged the battery right up and the battery still holds a decent amount of time on it(around an hour and a half).

yours is a bit newer than mine :P but just wanted to share.
also, the targus adapter didnt list my model dell, probly the only one that wasnt listed, but has no problem charging it and running it.
"Beating the hell out of other peoples cars since 1999"
1983 Ford Thunderbird Heritage
1984 Ford Mustang GT Turbo Convertible