Skip to main content
Topic: MM Steering Shaft (Read 1334 times) previous topic - next topic

MM Steering Shaft

I'm thinking about going with a Maximum Motorsports steering shaft . My question is do I get the Fox or SN95 for my 87 Cougar? If you've installed one how big of a change in steering feel did you notice? Thanks.

MM Steering Shaft

Reply #1
By the way the question is phrased, can't tell if you'd like to know if someone has installed a steering shaft or swapped to a SN95 rack.

I've changed the steering shaft on the Mustang and as claimed, steering is more responsive and header clearance is better.

I've considered the SN95 steering rack swap, not completed it.  From the research I've done (google it and you'll find a few walk throughs), it supposed to be the best rack upgrade for a Fox.

If you swap in an SN95 rack, you have to use the adapter shaft from MM. 

If you need a rack and you're already planning on buying a steering shaft, the SN95 unit is a no brainer.  The rack is cheaper than the shaft...  Probably tie up $350-$400 in parts for everything, plus an alignment.

MM Steering Shaft

Reply #2
I already swapped in an aftermarket 15 to 1 Fox power rack(AGR-712581) and pump(AGR 808102) . Since I installed 99+ spindles and brakes I had to switch the tie rod ends to sn95 units. I just wanted to be sure the fox shaft would fit length wise. By the way I love the steering with the AGR components and would recomend them  to you .

MM Steering Shaft

Reply #3
Thanks for the suggestion.  I have a 15:1 Fox rack on it.  If I sprung for a steering shaft, I'd do the SN95 rack.  Not this year...

MM Steering Shaft

Reply #4
Quote from: ricktjr;390056
I'm thinking about going with a Maximum Motorsports steering shaft . My question is do I get the Fox or SN95 for my 87 Cougar? If you've installed one how big of a change in steering feel did you notice? Thanks.

When I did my Flamming river manual conversion on my 87 Bird, I used the Fox rack and steering shaft, but the tie rods were for the SN95 and everything bolted right up with no issues. If I remember correctly, years ago( back in the 90's ) when I did some some checking, the actual rack for a 5.0 Mustang and a Sport T-Bird were the same but the tie rods were different.
Donnie
10 Second NA TBird
Fredericksburg Va

MM Steering Shaft

Reply #5
Thanks alot I think I'll get a Fox shaft.

MM Steering Shaft

Reply #6
I have the SN95 rack and MM conversion shaft in both of my cars.  Both cars have the 96+ SN95 spindles as well.  The conversion is easy and the over boosted feel from the Fox rack is long gone.  There is a pretty good thread on it here:

http://www.foxtbirdcougarforums.com/showthread.php?30351

Darren

83 351W TKO'd T-Bird on the bottle

93 331 Mustang Coupe - 368 rwhp