Skip to main content
Topic: signal light help (Read 1993 times) previous topic - next topic

signal light help

Alright, so about a week ago I noticed my signal would come on but not flash. I went to canadian tire (my regular place was closed :( ) grabbed another flasher, popped it in, and it done the same thing. I checked my bulbs (heh heh) and found one burned out, replaced it and now it will flash most of the time but sometimes it will not. Now I'm outta ideas what else should I check?
1980 birds X 3, 1982 bird, 1984 XR7, 1988 TC

Re: signal light help

Reply #1
Contacts in the sockets could be corroded.  I found a faulty socket on my car.  Some J-O tried to replace the stock one with a cheap-ass Autozone part.  I splliced in a junkyard factory socket and have had no more intermettent blinker problems.

Reply #2
He is right....
Check for Broken wire and bad socket...
The flasher relay wont work if there is no load on it

Reply #3
Also check to make sure the bulbs are installed properly.  Appearantly, there is a right way and a wrong way to install the bulbs, at least that's what I learned from jcassity when he was having blinker problems....

Reply #4
Well I figured it out! the problem is with the trailer wiring, something must be crossed or shorted out and it was actually quite cool :cool: whenever I signaled to one side or the other (when it would actually work) they would flash like this

OOooooOO

OOooooOO

And when I turned on the four ways it done like so

OOooooOO

OOooooOO

Then I gave the trailer plug a good twist and it started working normal, I also felt about a dozen crimp on conectors under the electrical tape  :disappoin  why do old men think they can do wiring??? I had the same problem with my alternator wiring in which I fornd a slew of those cheap connectors and all the fuseable links were melted and wrapped in black tape :screwy: my EVTM paid for itself there.

So tomorrow morning (afternoon, heh) I am going out and cutting out the trailer plug and who knows maybe my back-up lights will start working again :dunno:
1980 birds X 3, 1982 bird, 1984 XR7, 1988 TC

Reply #5
When i worked at a Saturn dealership I had a customer bring a car in with a non-working headlight. I traced the problem to the wiring between the headlights (one was getting power, the other wasn't). There is a wiring harness conatining about two dozen wires that runs just under the plastic nose piece, so I removed the nose piece. Under that I found a ball of electrical tape about 4" in diameter. When I opened it up I found that every single wire had been severed and put back together with crimp connectors! It turned out the car had been wrecked, written off, rebuilt (very poorly) and resold by a used car lot. Needless to say, when I showed the customer he was less than happy about it...
2015 Mustang GT Premium - 5.0, 6-speed, Guard Green - too much awesome for one car

1988 5.0 Thunderbird :birdsmily: SOLD SEPT 11 2010: TC front clip/hood ♣ Body & paint completed Oct 2007 ♣ 3.55 TC rear end and front brakes ♣ TC interior ♣ CHE rear control arms (adjustable lowers) ♣ 2001 Bullitt springs ♣ Energy suspension poly busings ♣ Kenne Brown subframe connectors ♣ CWE engine mounts ♣ Thundercat sequential turn signals ♣ Explorer overhead console (temp/compass display) ♣ 2.25" off-road dual exhaust ♣ T-5 transmission swap completed Jan 2009 ♣