Skip to main content
Topic: What is this? (Read 1105 times) previous topic - next topic

What is this?

As the title says It came out of a 3.8 engine bay.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

What is this?

Reply #1
fuel tank  purge canister...
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
***** Project "EVOLUTION" 1987 Cougar LS  & 1985 Cougar Convertible *****
[/COLOR]
5.0 HO 306 roller block, machined GT-40P heads, Wiseco dished forged pistons, Eagle forged floating I-beam connecting rods, Lunati pushrods, ARP bolts, Scorpion aluminum 1.6 rockers, Comp Cams Magnum 266HR, Explorer intake, 65mm TB, MAF Conversion, 19# injectors, Ford Racing stainless P-headers, 2-1/2" cat-less exhaust w/ Flowtech Afterburner lers , SC AOD with 2800 BDR torque converter, 3.73 T-Lok rear, CHE rear control arms, full 2-1/2" frame w/1" jacking rails & seat supports, Rear disk brakes, Turbine wheels, All original interior w/ floor shift upgrade .......
Pretty much every panel on my 87 is new, rebuilt, or re constructed. :D
Join us on Facebook

What is this?

Reply #2
Thanks, going to shine it up and put it back where it belongs.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

What is this?

Reply #3
Manual calls it a "Charcoal canister" or an "Evaporative emissions system canister". It hooks up to you fuel tank. It controls the flow of vapor from the canister to the intake manifold.

What is this?

Reply #4
Quote from: 86cougar;401782
Manual calls it a "Charcoal canister" or an "Evaporative emissions system canister". It hooks up to you fuel tank. It controls the flow of vapor from the canister to the intake manifold.

100% Correct
I spend money I don't have, To build  cars I don't need, To impress people I don't know

HAVE YOU DRIVEN A FORD LATELY!!

What is this?

Reply #5
I have tossed mine when I went to a carb but I kept the line from the vent to the tank it's tucked up in the wheel well. Once in a while I'll get a fuel smell and someone will comment on it.  I kept the line becuse I was looking at a road race class and one tech rule was gas tank vents had to go to in front of front wheel or soothing like that.  And I didn't know if I could just cap it.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]:ford:87 Turbo Coupe through the floor sub frame connectors, 5.8 swap Ford racing heads Harland sharp 1.6 rockers BBK shorty swap headers 2 1/2 BBk X pipe magnaflow ler's. Megasquirt 2 with 36lbs injectors on hurricane intake with 4150 throttle body.Tremec TKO 600 Quicktime blowsheild spec stage 3 clutch. 3.73 gears and still not done

What is this?

Reply #6
Not to hijack this thread, but is it bad if I don't have this cap on my canister? It seems like it'll just leak all the vapors under my hood now.

2002 Honda Civic EX

1984 Ford Thunderbird Elan
5.0 CFI, T5, Dual Exhaust

What is this?

Reply #7
Dragon57444,
                  Read the other thread on "Charcoal canister for 1986 Cougar" to see if yours is still good. Mine has both caps, if it were me I would stick a cork in it and just plug it up and put it back (but then I don't like giving my money away needlessly).

What is this?

Reply #8
Thanks 86, I think I'm gonna pull it off my car next week and do some R&D. Might be able to rebuild it as you suggested in your thread.
2002 Honda Civic EX

1984 Ford Thunderbird Elan
5.0 CFI, T5, Dual Exhaust

What is this?

Reply #9
Dragon574444,
                  I went out and bought two disposable in-line fuel filters that will go between the Charcoal canister and the intake manifold per Tom,s suggestion.  I can't seem to find any thing on the web that gives a hint as to how the canister is internally designed, so where to cut will be guess work. I'm guessing the charcoal is on the bottom.