Skip to main content
Topic: Hefty went faster (Read 1788 times) previous topic - next topic

Hefty went faster

So my 3700lb (3550 - me according to the track scale) T-bird decided that the new heads were a good thing. The car picked up almost 4 mph and .4 over the best time it had with the GT40Ps. 14.2@ 96.5 sure beats 14.65@ 93 the old combo ran. I'm sure it's got more in it with a better intake and bigger throttle body. I was figuring somewhere between 98-100 mph trap so I'm not far off as is. Temp was 72* and sunny when I made the run. I'll probably go back on a cooler fall day and see what happens. The track is a 75 mile drive for me as the closer track has closed up for the season for test and tune runs. I did have fun beating up on a couple of new automatic V6 Camaros. The best run either of them had was a 14.9@92 mph. I could have taken the 2012 Mustang to the track and beat the piss out of them :D.
88 Thunderbird LX: 306, Edelbrock Performer heads, Comp 266HR cam, Edelbrock Performer RPM intake, bunch of other stuff.

Hefty went faster

Reply #1
Glad to the improvement!  If you're able to hook a little and trim .2 on the 60ft, 13's are there.  Just a little practice.

Bit of a time commitment at 75 miles away...

Hefty went faster

Reply #2
GOT GOOD TIRES!!! 

Money spent on motor upgrades are good but without good rubber you are wasting your time going to the track.  My stock  5.0L HO motor with only an Explorer intake and 70mm TB goes 14.0 at 97mph.  I was launching it too low (3K) and shifting too high (5800) and still went 14.0.  Launching hotter (5K) and shifting at 5200 will surely get me into the 13's.  Look for a used set of 26x10.50 ET Streets or something similar......you'll be glad you did!
1988 T-Bird Sport Coupe--5.0 HO, MAF swap, 1-5/8" shorties, BBK/Flowmaster exhaust, Explorer intake, 70mm Edelbrock TB, T5, B&M short throw, Centerforce clutch and PP, disc brake TC rear w/ 3.55's, TC front brakes, '98 Cobra springs, DIY SFC's, other misc .  14.05 @ 98mph with launching too low and shifting too high.

Hefty went faster

Reply #3
I'm not too far off. Someone on here had the same heads, E303, GT40 intake, 70mm TB, 3.73s and a T5 and went 13.89@100 on drag radials. I have a smaller TB, smaller cam, ran on street tires, an AOD, and about 100lbs or so more weight. My car was off by about .4 and 3 mph. I'm pretty sure that with a 70mm TB, drag radials, and playing with the timing I'll get into the 13s at 100 mph. I don't know if I'll make it back to the track this year as that 150+ round trip is kinda long. Then again it's all highway miles so it only takes about an hour and ten minutes to get to the track.
88 Thunderbird LX: 306, Edelbrock Performer heads, Comp 266HR cam, Edelbrock Performer RPM intake, bunch of other stuff.

Hefty went faster

Reply #4
Quote from: thunderjet302;398576
it's all highway miles so it only takes about an hour and ten minutes to get to the track.

If your only driving 60 mph.:evilgrin:
Mike

Hefty went faster

Reply #5
Quote from: mcb82gt;398620
If your only driving 60 mph.:evilgrin:

I had to drive under 60 mph at points due to road construction. When the road construction ended I, ahem, exceeded 60 mph by a little bit ;).