Skip to main content
Topic: I need Advice. (Read 2501 times) previous topic - next topic

I need Advice.

I didn't know where else to put this so i hope its in the right place.

I have been seriously thinking about getting into autocross racing, i found my local scca and they have a couple of events going and i really want to go and run my tbird, but before i do anything rash i was wanting to get advice from some of you who have done autocross events before. I was wanting some driving tips and how does the tbird handle, does it want to roll or understeer heavily etc., as far as my cars specs are it is pretty much completely stock sport with the 5.0 and aod other than that i've got a 15:1 mustang rack and pinion and pump coming and i'm thinking about getting steeda springs like 50tbrd88 has.

Any help for a novice would be appreciated.
1987 Thunderbird Sport (soon to be GT edition) - In shop getting new paint job and interior work. (put on hold as of 11/2/2010, Resumed and going at it slowly its hard to be poor nowadays...)

I need Advice.

Reply #1
I'd probably get a set of decent tires you don't care about for track use...as far as roll and understeer...yes, to both, especially with stock stuff.

If you change springs, swaybars and whatnot, always do front and rear together. I put TC springs and the big bar in the back of an '88 3.8 car...the back tires seemed to be planted, and wanted to stay that way, while the front was still sloppy...on rough roads it was almost a PITA to deal with.
'84 Mustang
'98 Explorer 5.0
'03 Focus, dropped a valve seat. yay. freakin' split port engines...
'06 Explorer EB 4.6

I need Advice.

Reply #2
I would start with frame , stiff it up. Go from there.
Old Grey Cat to this.88 Cat, 5.0 HO, CW mounts, mass air, CI custom cam, afr165's, Tmoss worked cobra intake, BBK shorty's,off road h pipe, magnaflow ex. T-5,spec stage 2 clutch, 8.8 373 TC trac loc, che ajustables with bullits on the rear. 11" brakes up front. +

I need Advice.

Reply #3
If you keep those 14" tires hooked up, you will have alot of body roll. Ethan will be along shortly with pics of body roll, haha

Other than that, make sure the car is mechanically sound to pass tech, air the tires up good, and just go. If you enjoy it, sit down with a rule book and decide what class you want to run. Once you are comfortable with driving the car and stop going faster, choose mods that fit your class. If you start throwing parts at it, you could easily end up in a class you may not want to be in
gumby - beauty may fade, but stupid is forever!

I need Advice.

Reply #4
Quote from: gumby;357384
If you keep those 14" tires hooked up, you will have alot of body roll. Ethan will be along shortly with pics of body roll, haha

Other than that, make sure the car is mechanically sound to pass tech, air the tires up good, and just go. If you enjoy it, sit down with a rule book and decide what class you want to run. Once you are comfortable with driving the car and stop going faster, choose mods that fit your class. If you start throwing parts at it, you could easily end up in a class you may not want to be in

You mean these gumby? lol

This gives you an idea of what stock springs, strange shocks/struts, poly bushings, bigger front swaybar, no rear swaybar, and 295/35/17 Hoosier A6's do.

I started off with my car with just a couple engine mods, and grew from there.  I got thrown in street mod right off the bat due to the boost controller and stock everything else.  Just go out and have fun the first couple of times!

88 t-bird tc - 14.97 @ 90  IHI 18 psi + k+n filter...so far - NOW HX-35 @25psi - 12.75@112    348rwhp/395rwtq
78 F-150 - 11.61@120 on 175shot N20 - 12.55@110 on motor - 5200# race weight:hick:

I need Advice.

Reply #5
Where did you you get the bigger front sway bar from and why no rear one?
1987 Thunderbird Sport (soon to be GT edition) - In shop getting new paint job and interior work. (put on hold as of 11/2/2010, Resumed and going at it slowly its hard to be poor nowadays...)

I need Advice.

Reply #6
Mustang sway bar from suspension techniques, but I actually dont think its a great bar.  Should be stiffer for its size I think.  As for the rear, I had a upgraded mustang bar back there too, but I just couldnt get it to work right.  I tried an event with it off, and drove so much better because it kept the rear on the ground.  It sort of offset it with the poly bushings in the arms(spherical bearings at axle on top).  All mustang interchangeable.

88 t-bird tc - 14.97 @ 90  IHI 18 psi + k+n filter...so far - NOW HX-35 @25psi - 12.75@112    348rwhp/395rwtq
78 F-150 - 11.61@120 on 175shot N20 - 12.55@110 on motor - 5200# race weight:hick: