Skip to main content
Topic: Fuel pump pin? (Read 2410 times) previous topic - next topic

Fuel pump pin?

Hi all. I got the 302 in and am now working on the wiring issues.  My thunderbird EVTM for  '86 shows pin 22 as fuel pump relay activation, which corresponds to the location in the 87-88 harness I'm using. However, here it says mustang uses the same pin, 22, to activate the relay, and it says in the cool cats article for converting to mass air, that the tbird/cougar use a different pin than the mustang, and a new wire must be run. Is some info wrong or am I just missing something?
-Jerrod

1986 Tbird, former 3.8L, 302 SO shortblock, TW heads, TFS Stage 1 cam, Crane Gold Rockers, BBK ceramic shorties, T5, SPEC stage 1, pro-m, 24# injectors, other odds 'n ends.

Re: Fuel pump pin?

Reply #1
Pin 22 is fuel pump relay output on virtually every Ford EEC. Pin 19 is a feed back circuit the Mass Air EECs have that the Speed Densetys do not. Doesn't really have to be wired , but will set a code if you do not.

Reply #2
Probably will not apply here, but I thought I mension the ECC III (79-83?) is an exception to Tc50's the pin 22 rule.

Reply #3
Thanks. Thats what I figured, just wanted to make sure.
-Jerrod

1986 Tbird, former 3.8L, 302 SO shortblock, TW heads, TFS Stage 1 cam, Crane Gold Rockers, BBK ceramic shorties, T5, SPEC stage 1, pro-m, 24# injectors, other odds 'n ends.

Fuel pump pin?

Reply #4
so if you want to get rid of the code you hook a wire from pin 19 to the pink/black wire on the fuel relay??

Fuel pump pin?

Reply #5
Quote from: mac_55;298903
so if you want to get rid of the code you hook a wire from pin 19 to the pink/black wire on the fuel relay??

Yup...

Fuel pump pin?

Reply #6
I had an easier fix.  I removed the light bulb for the check engine from the cluster.
My car is a gravity hybrid.  The gasoline engine gets me up the hills, and gravity gets me down.

Fuel pump pin?

Reply #7
nice, gives me something to do today. ill keep the bulb in incase something lights up and i don't notice it

Fuel pump pin?

Reply #8
alright put pin in #19 and ran it to the fuel relay (trunk) hooked it up and check light is still on.
 will check tomorrow for another code but would the code need to be reset like the newer cars ? because the computer was out of the car all night and the battery was disconnected????

Fuel pump pin?

Reply #9
I don't think the fuel pump monitor circuit being disconnected will cause a check engine light... Yes it causes a code, but not all codes cause a CEL...If code is still there, something isn't connected correctly...

Codes can be cleared by disconnecting the battery for about 15 min...