Skip to main content
Topic: Buying a used truck. Suggestions? (Read 2244 times) previous topic - next topic

Buying a used truck. Suggestions?

I am selling my 87 so that I can get a pickup truck, preferably something w/ 4wd.  I was just wondering if anyone else had a preference on what make/model would be the best investment.  My budget is about $1000.  I don't do much towing, just the occasional furniture moving.  I am kind of a ford man (duh) so I have been looking at the F series with the 300, 302, or 351.  Manual or automatic doesn't matter, but gas mileage would be nice.  Ideas? Pointers?  As far as 4wd goes, I don't know much about automatic locking hubs vs. manual ones.  Is one better than the other?
1987 Thunderbird 3.8. Sold :(

1982 Thunderbird - Goodbye 255, Hello 302!

Reply #1
As die hard Ford as I am, I'm digging the C-1500 I have owned for the past four years.

I bought it with 252,XXX miles on it ...Now it has just over 282,000 and not one sign of any sort of issues.

I'd say it's been a good investment for 1800$ (including tax, title, and all that jazz).
If worms had daggers, birds wouldn't f**k with 'em

Reply #2
my specialty, ford trucks lol

your best bet is a 86-96.. 86 was the first year for fuel injection on the 302 and 96 was the last year for that body style. the only major suggestion i'll make it do NOT buy a lifted truck unless you know the parts are 100% correct.. TTB front ends eat ball joints and wheel bearings if the lift isn't 100% correct. any kind of camber is a big no no.

a 302 is your best bet. 351's lack power in the trucks a bit because of low compression and the I6's like to guzzle gas because of their big bore/stroke, but have a lot of torque.

as for the auto locking hubs, they like to slip in and out if worn. but don't let that turn you away. you can simply pull them out and replace them with manual hubs, they should be a direct swap with no modifications needed. if you go that route, i recommend staying away from WARN Supreme hubs, i've gone through a dozen pairs of them. the cheaper WARN hubs are pretty good, but i like Milemarkers.

Reply #3
If you want something that will run forever, the 300 I6 is an animal.
'88 'bird, 10.9:1 306 w/TFS top end, forged rods/pistons, T-5 swap & bunch of other stuff, 1-family owned, had it since ‘98, 5.0tbrd88 on Instagram and YouTube

Reply #4
depends how well the original owner took care of it.. i've seen a lot of them blown up before they make it to 120K

Reply #5
Youre saying youre gonna just be hauling things, like furniture and stuff? Why 4wd then?
You also said MPG is a plus.

4.9L 5sp, 2WD.
93 Festiva L, 193k miles, BP+T/G25MR swap, T3 50trim .48/.42, SRT FMIC, Capri electronics/Rocketchip, 2.5" exhaust
bests: ET 12.86, MPH 110.25, 1.92 short
02 Subaru Impreza WRX, 129k miles
97 Subaru Impreza Outback Sport, 236k miles

Reply #6
for 1000 bucks as your budget i hope its not going to be a daily driver.

Quote from: bhazard;336664
Youre saying youre gonna just be hauling things, like furniture and stuff? Why 4wd then?

4.9L 5sp, 2WD.

x2 with the exception of a shortbed without those flare things this i a combo ive been considering for a decent truck to move stuff around(i dont tow anything), ive heard nothing but good things about the 4.9 I6 and have seen plenty of them with over 200k that run good.

if only i could find one that doesnt have huge dents and rot all over it i might be driving one.
"Beating the hell out of other peoples cars since 1999"
1983 Ford Thunderbird Heritage
1984 Ford Mustang GT Turbo Convertible

Reply #7
Quote from: Ductape91;336667
if only i could find one that doesnt have huge dents and rot all over it i might be driving one.

GOOD LUCK WITH THAT 1! :laughing: almost all of them have rot at this point, especially in fords most notorious of spots, the rear wheel well.. and if they don't, you're spending 2K+.. unless you come across 1 with a blown motor, junk trans, etc, and even then you're lucky if you can get it for less than a grand

Reply #8
I'll trade the 'bird for the Silverado straight up, if the 'bird is daily drivable and doesn't have any hidden demons.
If worms had daggers, birds wouldn't f**k with 'em

Reply #9
I cheated and went the ranchero route. I was getting surprisingly good mpg too with the 302 and 2 bbl, but forget about any sort of power LMAO. The motor is currently out and an 89 GT 5.0 with a 4 bbl going in ;)

I'd go old school f100 with the 300 i6 and a manual trans if I was going to buy a legit truck though.

Reply #10
i got my 90 f150 down south, reg cab short box 4 wheel drive lariat, paid 2400 for her. the money is still kinda good for these trucks. cause they ROCK!

Reply #11
Quote from: turbo_88_XR7;336655
depends how well the original owner took care of it.. i've seen a lot of them blown up before they make it to 120K

That statement applies to basically any engine.  :D
'88 'bird, 10.9:1 306 w/TFS top end, forged rods/pistons, T-5 swap & bunch of other stuff, 1-family owned, had it since ‘98, 5.0tbrd88 on Instagram and YouTube

Reply #12
Quote from: 50tbrd88;336751
That statement applies to basically any engine.  :D

well that i know.. but if you don't keep up on the maintainence on a 4.9 regularly, they aren't so dependable.. a 302 and 351w are a little more lenient when it comes to lack of maintainence

Reply #13
Quote from: bhazard;336664

4.9L 5sp, 2WD.

The weather isn't always agreeable here and I cannot miss work for any reason -including the worst of blizzards. I want 4wd to get me through some serious snow if necessary. The 300's are very common around here, but I am not a fan of the 4 speed manual that they are often bolted to.
1987 Thunderbird 3.8. Sold :(

1982 Thunderbird - Goodbye 255, Hello 302!

Reply #14
the 4 speeds really suck in my opinion.. 1st gear is practically useless unless your run bigger tires without changing gearing