Skip to main content
Topic: 2.3L Turbo to 5.0L (Read 2034 times) previous topic - next topic

2.3L Turbo to 5.0L

Let me start by saying " Hi. My name is Shawn and I'm a Fox Body addict."

I'm getting ready to swap 2.3L Turbo out of my 86 XR-7 for an 88 5.0L out of a T-Bird. I got the harness and computer out of the T-Bird along with some misc vacuum hoses, etc. The Cougar is a 5spd. and the Bird was an auto if that matters

I have read and bookmarked Dominators post on the 5.0 swap. I was just wondering what kind of issues I might run into by using mixed year stuff.

ps. once I get the swap done I will probably sell the turbo related stuff.
1986 Mercury Cougar XR-7 5-Spd 5.0 HO Engine Swap swap.
:burnout:  this thing is fun to drive now.:burnout:

2.3L Turbo to 5.0L

Reply #1
Welcome and I wish you luck my friend!

2.3L Turbo to 5.0L

Reply #2
Use the harness, ditch the eec, grab an HO speed density eec from a STang, and convert that 5.0 to HO before you slap it in, you'll be much happier when you whack the go pedal. lol ;)

I'd probably try to locate a V8 T5, as the 2.3 spec T5 has a lower first gear, if you have say, a 3.55 rear gear, the V8's torque will make first gear rather unusable...course, this may be moot if you have like 2.73 gears or the like.
'84 Mustang
'98 Explorer 5.0
'03 Focus, dropped a valve seat. yay. freakin' split port engines...
'06 Explorer EB 4.6

2.3L Turbo to 5.0L

Reply #3
"I was just wondering what kind of issues I might run into". Well you can expect a load of harrassp00get from the dedicated, fanatical, rabid 2.3Turbo enthusiasts. Like me.
Turbo cougars are relatively uncommon anymore.  I can't talk you out of swapping in a 5.0, but I will ask you why?
My son has a 5.0 Stang we're going to swap a 2.3T into. Not that we have any problem with the 5.0, we just like the idea of the 2.3T better.
88 TC 5speed, 168000+ miles, stock 2.3T long block, ported RFE6 exhaust, Evergreen T3 running 15#'s.
Up next: FMIC, fresh air intake, ported intakes, ported big valve head.

2.3L Turbo to 5.0L

Reply #4
Do it. But the 2.3 can be built up and what not what have you. However, its your car. Do what you want.
Quote from: jcassity
I honestly dont think you could exceed the cost of a new car buy installing new *stock* parts everywhere in your coug our tbird. Its just plain impossible. You could revamp the entire drivetrain/engine/suspenstion and still come out ahead.
Hooligans! 
1988 Crown Vic wagon. 120K California car. Wifes grocery getter. (junked)
1987 Ford Thunderbird LX. 5.0. s.o., sn-95 t-5 and an f-150 clutch. Driven daily and going strong.
1986 cougar.
lilsammywasapunkrocker@yahoo.com

2.3L Turbo to 5.0L

Reply #5
Well for starters the 2.3 is shot and I don't have the cash to rebuild it. The 5.0 stuff was free I just had to pull it. May end up storing the 2.3 stuff and rebuilding it as the budget will allow. For now I will use the 5.0 'cause I need the car.
1986 Mercury Cougar XR-7 5-Spd 5.0 HO Engine Swap swap.
:burnout:  this thing is fun to drive now.:burnout:

2.3L Turbo to 5.0L

Reply #6
In that case, just do not cut up anything from the 2.3T Cougar. They were not that highly desireable in the 80's. I saw two get sent to a crusher cause no one wanted to pay $200 for them in the early 90's. I agree that they are more sought after today and could end up being some high dollar rides cause of the low production numbers to begin with.

2.3L Turbo to 5.0L

Reply #7
Thanks for the recognition and using my writeup.
Make sure you have a 5.0l HO and not the SO before you begin, otherwise you'll be very disappointed.

2.3L Turbo to 5.0L

Reply #8
For a successful swap try to locate a '86 5.0 Bird/Coug computer harness... The '87 may be similar enoug to not require many, if any changes, but the '88 is different and will require some repining of the connectors... Unless you locate a 5.0 T5 bellhousing and clutch components, plan on swapping to the automatic, cause none of the half motor stuff is going to fit... The automatic presents issues, cause unless the '88 is a Sport with floor shift you'll have to find one of those shifters(rare), or go to a aftermarket setup... At any rate the shift levers are reversed on a column vs floor shift AOD transmission...

As far as increasing in value, maybe in another 15-20 years, but don't plan to retire on the profit...