Skip to main content
Topic: broken E-brake (Read 1007 times) previous topic - next topic

broken E-brake

When I went to use my E-brake today, I pressed down and it wouldn't lock down. I didn't even hear the clicking like I use to.
1987 turbo coupe 5speed: Boport stage 3 head/2.5 cam , Precision stage 3 50trim .63 turbo, Tial 38mm wastegate, Jangus gutted/ported intake manifolds, 60mm tb, Jangus open dumptube, Jangus 3" elbow, Perrin boost controller,Esslinger adjustable cam pulley, Esslinger small crank pulley, stinger FMI, RFL BOV, Spec stage 3 clutch, B&M short throw, 140 speedo, Walbo 255lph, BBK fpr, 3G alternator, ARP studs.  Be faster... :poke:

broken E-brake

Reply #1
I am not sure what broke. Any suggestions?
1987 turbo coupe 5speed: Boport stage 3 head/2.5 cam , Precision stage 3 50trim .63 turbo, Tial 38mm wastegate, Jangus gutted/ported intake manifolds, 60mm tb, Jangus open dumptube, Jangus 3" elbow, Perrin boost controller,Esslinger adjustable cam pulley, Esslinger small crank pulley, stinger FMI, RFL BOV, Spec stage 3 clutch, B&M short throw, 140 speedo, Walbo 255lph, BBK fpr, 3G alternator, ARP studs.  Be faster... :poke:

broken E-brake

Reply #2
Check the locking PALL and spring. They sometimes break and then the pedal wont hold. The pedal assembly is very reliable but in a manual tranny car there is a lot of wear on the E BRAKE components. Much more than an auto tranny car. Just from use. Closely inspect it and see what is up with it.
I spend money I don't have, To build  cars I don't need, To impress people I don't know

HAVE YOU DRIVEN A FORD LATELY!!

broken E-brake

Reply #3
Thank you for your help. So it looks like a piece of metal broke off from the bracket that holds the spring. When I press the E-brake i can see the notches for a piece of metal to slide across them to make it stay but I dont see any piece of metal from the bracket that would go into the notches. Where can I find a replacement bracket?

broken E-brake

Reply #4
Recycler or salvage yard.  I would think T-Bird, Cougar, Mark VII, and maybe some of the bid body cars like Towncars, Grand Marquis, or Crown Vics of the 80's vintage might work as well.

Darren

83 351W TKO'd T-Bird on the bottle

93 331 Mustang Coupe - 368 rwhp

broken E-brake

Reply #5
Dang I was hoping my mech could help me find one. No luck... maybe this weekend I can hit the yards....

broken E-brake

Reply #6
Here is something we use. It is great. Because of the caliber of our builds we have no room sometimes for a E BRAKE pedal assembly. So this is the ticket. You can use it and hook up the drivers cable only if you live in a state that does not inspect. Or a hydraulic line locking system. We also use them. Just some thing you might be interested in!!

http://www.hotrodhotline.com/e-stopp-e-brake-system-faqs

http://www.mico.com/products/lever-lock
I spend money I don't have, To build  cars I don't need, To impress people I don't know

HAVE YOU DRIVEN A FORD LATELY!!