Skip to main content
Topic: v6 owner please help (Read 1008 times) previous topic - next topic

v6 owner please help

i need to know the length of which spark plug wires go where from the distributor to the engine of a 3.8?
84 el camino ss-daily driver(efi mild sbc,2004r, posi 3:42 rear.)
84 mercury cougar v6- was a v6/ nitrous drag car, going back to mostly stock
81 chevy malibu-protouring/  drag car.( efi sbc supercharged 283 that will rev to the moon, 2004r, 4:11 posi rear)

v6 owner please help

Reply #1
the question running along side a sig like yours makes me have to ask the obvious...

why with so much talent should such a non issue be so urgent?:D

I dont have the lengths memorized, sorry.

v6 owner please help

Reply #2
I would make the pass side 1-3 approx 2' and the drivers side about 3' ea if your guessing.

v6 owner please help

Reply #3
Do some cut to fits. They seem intimidating, but it's an easy job. It makes for a much cleaner install.
It's Gumby's fault.

v6 owner please help

Reply #4
the reason i needed the lengths were i removed all my wires from the distributor and put a performance distributor. but i am just trying to make sure i put the right length wire in the right spot.
81 chevy malibu-protouring/  drag car.( efi sbc supercharged 283 that will rev to the moon, 2004r, 4:11 posi rear)

v6 owner please help

Reply #5
Hmm, the longest to #6, next longest to #3, ........
:birdsmily:
(X2) '86 Thunderbird, 3.8L CFI, C5 Tranny

'92 F-150, 5.0L EFI (SD), M5OD Tranny, 3.08 Dif

'70 VW Beetle, 1780cc, twin Solex 43's.

v6 owner please help

Reply #6
do you have a build thread on that motor? i'm thinking about picking up a 3.8 powered fox mustang for a DD and that motor sounds interesting
Currently Birdless but never Foxless

86 Mustang GT

v6 owner please help

Reply #7
no not yet i havent found all the pictures and information on the engine. all i know is its a 4.2 stroker kit with mild port and polish, mac longtube headers and mac underdrive pulleys, some nitrous.

v6 owner please help

Reply #8
Quote from: blackcougar71;291801
the reason i needed the lengths were i removed all my wires from the distributor and put a performance distributor. but i am just trying to make sure i put the right length wire in the right spot.

i dont get it,, if your standing right there infront of your motor, just shorten any given wire thats too long. 

all you have to do is take one end apart.

you lost me,, sorry

v6 owner please help

Reply #9
i took all the wires off the distributor cap/ and engine when changing the distributor. now i dont know which length wire goes to which part of the engine. do you understand?

v6 owner please help

Reply #10
check the firing order...

It has coil packs in the picture, but if you just bring the numbers into the 5.0 one and kill the last two, it will be right.
Quote from: jcassity
I honestly dont think you could exceed the cost of a new car buy installing new *stock* parts everywhere in your coug our tbird. Its just plain impossible. You could revamp the entire drivetrain/engine/suspenstion and still come out ahead.
Hooligans! 
1988 Crown Vic wagon. 120K California car. Wifes grocery getter. (junked)
1987 Ford Thunderbird LX. 5.0. s.o., sn-95 t-5 and an f-150 clutch. Driven daily and going strong.
1986 cougar.
lilsammywasapunkrocker@yahoo.com

v6 owner please help

Reply #11
my car doesnt have a coil pack its a distributer. but i figured it out from some of my old sparks since marked them where they should go.