Skip to main content
Topic: Couple tech Qs. Engine and drivetrain (Read 5652 times) previous topic - next topic

Couple tech Qs. Engine and drivetrain

Reply #15
Quote from: massCougarxr7;431334
Ok other than some odds and end stuff can anyone think of anything else worth saving?

If you have room to store it, anything that's good, and in demand. Swaybars, control arms (front) wheels, doors if no rust, glass, etc.

Don't overburden yourself with stuff though...I recently sped a shiznit-ton of Tbird stuff that I couldn't get rid of. Still have some more uncommon pieces and door glass though.
'84 Mustang
'98 Explorer 5.0
'03 Focus, dropped a valve seat. yay. freakin' split port engines...
'06 Explorer EB 4.6

Reply #16
Ok. The way I'm looking at this whole situation is I have 3 94 f150s a 94 Chevy 1500 with a blown motor, my cougar and my bird. And the Lincoln mark.. I'm building one really nice f150 5spd and my cougar. So it's time to use what I need and get rid of the junk. I'm running out of room fast!! My cougar was my first car so obv it's the one I want to save. The only thing left of the bird will be interior and motor.. I was thinkin of saving the doors hood am fenders also.. So I think year down will start this weekend and sry to any of you bird lovers out there..
[/IMG]
Just enjoyin the ride!!!!

Reply #17
Do the hard stuff first. Stay focused, one thing at a time. And always do something, even if it's nothing more than getting ALL the parts gathered for a swap. Nothing sucks as bad as having to clean up in the middle of an engine swap because you lost or don't have exhaust bolts, for example.

I got too strung out when I took my Sport apart, I took it down to a shell, and once I got to the point of reassembly, I was overwhelmed, and had forgotten where some of my parts were at, and it ended up becoming a pain in the ass.

I've got some issues with the dash wiring and the heater setup, and I'm leaning towards just swapping a Mustang harness(es) into it and using the basics of the wiring for the engine controls, and dash/hvac. Integrating the body harness into that for the lights.

May strip it and junk it, who knows. I'm like you..I've got too many other more exciting projects than to work on a car that needs an engine, transmission, and rear because the ones in it now are worn out junk.

If I were you, I'd swap a good engine into the chevy truck if it's in good shape otherwise, and sell it for a bit of profit.

About the only good stuff from the Mark VII is the rear, the engine, and the EEC. Pull the engine complete, makes it a lot easier. See what's shakin on the Lincoln boards..you might be able to nickel and dime some parts there.

That's what I'd do, anyway. ;)
'84 Mustang
'98 Explorer 5.0
'06 Explorer EB 4.6

Reply #18
Lol thanks. The Chevy is Definately gonna be sped or sold as is.. It was a freebie from a friend that went to jail. I def agree with having the other projects goin on. Right now priority is the cougar. I was hoping one of the pickup motors would've been a better option.. But the h.o. Is something I was thinking of for a while.. If all goes well the cougar will get done in like two weeks.. And then by next winter I'll have the f150 done so I can park and preserve the cat. Man have I missed all you guys!! Is mercury man still around? And dmainc? Hell who am I kidding!! There's so many good guys on this site I'd be here all night trying to call them all out!!! Thanks for the input everyone!
[/IMG]

Reply #19
Quote from: thunderjet302;431296
The transmission is a different story. The Lincoln Mark VII AOD is about an inch or so longer than the AOD in your Cougar. To use it you would have to have the driveshaft in your Cougar shortened.

Or simply swap the tailshaft housing.  This is where the difference in length is.  Cheaper and quicker than swapping in a custom length one-off drive shaft.

And I was thinking I might just use the front spindles from the bird too? So that way there I'll have all tc brakes and rear..

Use the T-bird spindles.  The larger brakes up front will help immensely.  You could even go so far as to use The Lincoln calipers as they are 73 mm as opposed to the TC's 60 mm.

I'm not sure if there are any differences with regards to the stock brake prop blocks between the 3 vehicles.  If they ARE different, I'd use the TC one.
-- 05 Mustang GT-Whipplecharged !!
--87 5.0 Trick Flow Heads & Intake - Custom Cam - Many other goodies...3100Lbs...Low12's!

Reply #20
Tailshaft housing swap would work. Don't use the Mark VII spindles, use the ones from the Turbo Coupe. The Mark VII spindles need a larger balljoint.
88 Thunderbird LX: 306, Edelbrock Performer heads, Comp 266HR cam, Edelbrock Performer RPM intake, bunch of other stuff.

Reply #21
Sweet. So tc rear , tc spindles.. Mark calipers.. Tc booster and master.. Mark H.O.  Motor and Trans.. Mark computer... I'm relally excited to do this swap!  How  about springs? I know a lot of guys say this will work and that will work.. But I've also noticed a lot of guys have problems.. Anyone have a guaranteed spring swap that'll lower the front just a little? How about the mark springs? And I know there's probably a write up.. I'm not lazy.. It's easier to talk to someone than read thru others headaches ya know?
[/IMG]

Reply #22
if you have a mark 7 there, why not do a 5lug swap on the cougar also?

Reply #23
Discs and 373 in one shot? Pretty sure the mark is 308 gears? And drums?
[/IMG]

Reply #24
The mark doesn't have springs, it has air bags. The tc from the factory doesn't have a booster and conventional master cylinder
41 Dodge Luxury Liner Sedan
78 F-100 2wd flareside
84Turbo Coupe
84 Thunderbird Élan
85 Thunderbird 3.8
88 Turbo Coupe
88 Mustang GT
90 Stang LX 5.0 5spd
93 F-150 4x4 ext cab
96 Mustang GT
98 Mustang GT
99 SVT Cobra
06 Fusion SEL
14 Fusion Sport

Reply #25
But the system should work in the  cat.. ?? I'm going to look over everything before I start swapping parts over. And with that info I'm gonna go do some searching....
[/IMG]

Reply #26
Ditch the abs and ride control. just not worth it. plus the hydroboost  on the tc is a  shoot and hard to fix.

for springs, the tc stuff might actually raise it compared to stock.
Quote from: jcassity
I honestly dont think you could exceed the cost of a new car buy installing new *stock* parts everywhere in your coug our tbird. Its just plain impossible. You could revamp the entire drivetrain/engine/suspenstion and still come out ahead.
Hooligans! 
1988 Crown Vic wagon. 120K California car. Wifes grocery getter. (junked)
1987 Ford Thunderbird LX. 5.0. s.o., sn-95 t-5 and an f-150 clutch. Driven daily and going strong.
1986 cougar.
lilsammywasapunkrocker@yahoo.com

Reply #27
Haystack!! How's things?  I would obv drop the abs.. I'm looking  to use the rear out of my tc and the front spindle and brake assembly on my cougar.  As far as I know I would at least need the booster? And probably the proportioning valve.. I just figured if I have a complete parts car why not take everything I can? I also have a Lincoln mark at my disposal. And I'm not really interested in a five lug swap right now.. Unless there's more benefit than rim selection..
[/IMG]

Reply #28
Id leave the booster and everythubg in the cougar. just drag and drop spindles and axle. might need front brake lines and adaptars. you will need the brake portioning valve.

read the coolcats 11" front.brake upgrade and tc rear swap. it covers things pretty well.

things are good. finally looking up a bit.
Quote from: jcassity
I honestly dont think you could exceed the cost of a new car buy installing new *stock* parts everywhere in your coug our tbird. Its just plain impossible. You could revamp the entire drivetrain/engine/suspenstion and still come out ahead.
Hooligans! 
1988 Crown Vic wagon. 120K California car. Wifes grocery getter. (junked)
1987 Ford Thunderbird LX. 5.0. s.o., sn-95 t-5 and an f-150 clutch. Driven daily and going strong.
1986 cougar.
lilsammywasapunkrocker@yahoo.com

Reply #29
You'll need new front soft hoses...get them to match the year of the calipers you're going to use. I just did all this and more to my '87 4 banger "WussStang". Swapped in an 8.8 tonight with 3.55 gears. Ranger axles and drums, and boom, 5 lug. Something about a rusted and broken brake line put a stop to my fun n' games, but I have a V8 brake line anyway, so once the rubber is on the ground tomorrow, I'll prop up the passenger side and swap the line from front to back. Easy stuff.

My Thunderbird is going to get a 351w...it's in a Lightning...but sadly it's not a real GT40 Lightning engine, just the regular E7 headed version. Previous owner swapped it out..was a beast, there's still a bottle bracket behind the pass seat of the L.
My buddy is going to drop a big block and do a frame off resto/clean up. He's particular, so it'll be perfect when done.

I'm going to carb the 351w, blah blah, put it in my Sport...possibly a track only car at some point. Right now this Mustang is the priority...it's going to be my daily soon. After I get the rear finished up, brake line etc, the 4 banger is coming out, and it's 5.0 time. The V8 will have P heads, Cobra intake, and aftermarket exhaust. Parts are all here, just need to spin the bolts...spent all day on it today and made solid progress. Time for a beer and bed and back at it. I've got 17 days before my time will be gone, but for two days per week, like all you other sons of guns. ;)
'84 Mustang
'98 Explorer 5.0
'06 Explorer EB 4.6