Skip to main content
Topic: Help Pls (Read 6044 times) previous topic - next topic

Help Pls

First off I wanna say hi to all t-bird/cougar lovers out there,I just recently acquired an 87 t-bird that is non h.o :( ,but decided to try n mod anyway.. I have another 302 roller motor I've been working on that has Gt40 tubular intake,ported gt40 cast iron heads/trickflow springs, Tfs1 cam,bbk long tubes,Paxton old school sn2000,n t5 tranny on my budget at the moment.. My questions are being that I'm sd n not h.o can i still do Maf conv. the same as for the h.o or am I in a pickle here? I'm no electrical guru but I get an basic understanding. Also to do the t5 swap would it be better just to find a turbo coupe or stick to my gun here? I've done alittle research n my understanding is that i would need a T C for rear anyway now do to the fact that the tc I have my eye on is manual could I just rip harness out of this one , do swap on tc ,do Maf conv. n be done or just try to build this one?.. Thanks to anyone who takes the time to read this post and any advise is greatly appreciated I Luv these cars:burnout:

Help Pls

Reply #1
Lets see.....You will need the Mass Air conversion done to your car. Here are a couple of options....

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Ford-Mustang-EFI-5-0L-5-8L-Mass-Air-Conversion-Pigtail-/251322916277?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item3a84035db5&vxp=mtr

http://www.ebay.com/itm/86-88-FORD-MUSTANG-5-0L-MASS-AIR-CONVERSION-KIT-FORD-LINCOLN-MERCURY-/301029848855?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item4616c6f717&vxp=mtr

You will need the harness (add tow wires, move two wires, tap in to two wires). The first kit has the easy to follow instructions. The plug to the computer has a lot of pins, and the instructions show you exactly what to do. You will also need the air intake, and computer. The second kit I posted has everything. The computers alone aren't as cheap as they used to be. Shopping around may save you a few dollars.

If you're running a Super Charger, you may want to step it up on injectors which would require a Mass Air meter matched to the appropriate injectors.

Once you get the Mass Air swap done, you will need to remove the vacuum tube from the MAP sensor on the firewall.

As far as a 5 speed swap. You need the pedal assembly from a Fox Body Mustang. Actually, the whole 5 speed assembly, transmission and all (quadrant, cable, bell housing, flywheel, clutch, block plate, fasteners), are a direct bolt in for the Thunderbird. Although if your car was not equipped with a factory floor shifter, you will need to cut a hole in your floor. Mine is a Sport model, so, factory shifter in the floor. The trans mount, crossmember, and driveshaft can all be re-used.

The rear end can come from a Turbo Coupe. You'll need the parking brake cables, and to get the right proportioning valve and possibly a Master cylinder. If you want to go 5 lug, an SN-95 Mustang is a good donor for the front and rear suspension.
'88 Sport--T-5,MGW shifter,Trick Flow R intake,Ed Curtis cam,Trick Flow heads,Scorpion rockers,75mm Accufab t-body,3G,mini starter,Taurus fan,BBK long tube headers,O/R H-Pipe, Flowamaster Super 44's, deep and deeper Cobra R wheels, Mass Air and 24's,8.8 with 3.73's,140 mph speedo,Mach 1 chin spoiler,SN-95 springs,CHE control arms,aluminum drive shaft and a lot more..

Help Pls

Reply #2
You'll also need an EEC such as an A9L, and after you get the whole combo where it runs and drives, the best thing would be to take it to someone who works on Mustangs and other 5.0 Fords with forced induction (as opposed to some random "tuner/builder" type) and have at least one, and preferably 2 or 3 tunes burnt to a flip chip, so if you want to or have to run lower octane gas, you won't melt a piston or valve.

And, with that kind of power, don't use a 2.3 T5, step right up to the V8 version, and have that thing worked over some too, steel retainer, updated syncs, hardened input, etc.

That's the basics, after that, once the parts that make the power are burnin' and turnin', you'll want subframe connectors, tubular rear upper and lower control arms, heavier duty shocks, rear gear change (with a T5, I wouldn't go over 3.73 unless you have some massive tires under the back, with an AOD it's pretty normal and effective for 4.11)
'84 Mustang
'98 Explorer 5.0
'03 Focus, dropped a valve seat. yay. freakin' split port engines...
'06 Explorer EB 4.6

Help Pls

Reply #3
use your existing wiring and then upgrade the fuel pump. you don't need to replace the rear end, but you will want to add mass air with that cam. its really not hard to do.

id also upgrade the fuel pump. any v-8 t-5 works and bolts in like factory. I used a 99+ v-6 t-5 and re used almost everything. stock crossmember swapped right on, as did the bell housing bolts.
Quote from: jcassity
I honestly dont think you could exceed the cost of a new car buy installing new *stock* parts everywhere in your coug our tbird. Its just plain impossible. You could revamp the entire drivetrain/engine/suspenstion and still come out ahead.
Hooligans! 
1988 Crown Vic wagon. 120K California car. Wifes grocery getter. (junked)
1987 Ford Thunderbird LX. 5.0. s.o., sn-95 t-5 and an f-150 clutch. Driven daily and going strong.
1986 cougar.
lilsammywasapunkrocker@yahoo.com

Help Pls

Reply #4
Quote from: ThunderbirdSport302;426395
You'll also need an EEC such as an A9L, and after you get the whole combo where it runs and drives, the best thing would be to take it to someone who works on Mustangs and other 5.0 Fords with forced induction (as opposed to some random "tuner/builder" type) and have at least one, and preferably 2 or 3 tunes burnt to a flip chip, so if you want to or have to run lower octane gas, you won't melt a piston or valve.

And, with that kind of power, don't use a 2.3 T5, step right up to the V8 version, and have that thing worked over some too, steel retainer, updated syncs, hardened input, etc.

That's the basics, after that, once the parts that make the power are burnin' and turnin', you'll want subframe connectors, tubular rear upper and lower control arms, heavier duty shocks, rear gear change (with a T5, I wouldn't go over 3.73 unless you have some massive tires under the back, with an AOD it's pretty normal and effective for 4.11)

I have one but I think it's for a 95gt or cobra dunno if i should try to tackle with that or try to find 89-90 5sp EEC-IV

Help Pls

Reply #5
What injectors could I start out with for cam because I want to give the engine a little break in before I just mount the charger n go like 36-46 lb injectors

Help Pls

Reply #6
Thank u guys for input ,will keep u guys posted n try to post picks when I can

Help Pls

Reply #7
For your car, with speed density and a manual trans, you'll want a DA1, for massa air and manual, A9L.

The newer EEC *may* work, but the newer cars also had other stuff, airbags, extra sensors and whatnot, so I can't tell you with 100% certainty those will work. A Cobra EEC probably won't anyway, as they 24# injectors (for 1993, unsure of the 1995 without looking in my notes) and unless you have the setup to require the higher flow injectors, you'll run pig rich with a Cobra EEC.
;)
'84 Mustang
'98 Explorer 5.0
'06 Explorer EB 4.6

Help Pls

Reply #8
i have a 5 speed in my Bird and use an A9P. Works great, no issues.
'88 Sport--T-5,MGW shifter,Trick Flow R intake,Ed Curtis cam,Trick Flow heads,Scorpion rockers,75mm Accufab t-body,3G,mini starter,Taurus fan,BBK long tube headers,O/R H-Pipe, Flowamaster Super 44's, deep and deeper Cobra R wheels, Mass Air and 24's,8.8 with 3.73's,140 mph speedo,Mach 1 chin spoiler,SN-95 springs,CHE control arms,aluminum drive shaft and a lot more..

Help Pls

Reply #9
^That. You CAN use an A9P (the AOD/5.0 eec) with a T5, but a lot of folks say you can't or shouldn't use the A9L with an auto trans. Personally, have never seen it or done it, so no first hand experience. If in doubt, and you have a T5 though, A9p, A9l will work no problems,
'84 Mustang
'98 Explorer 5.0
'06 Explorer EB 4.6

Help Pls

Reply #10
Well thanks guys, it's just that I'm in Houston n can't find a9l, does any one have one close or for a good deal n a Maf calibrated for 24s or larger

Help Pls

Reply #11
http://www.corral.net

Lots of guys over there selling stuff, there's also ebay, but I'd rather help out another Ford guy than give money to effing paypal.

Over the years I've gotten some good parts from folks there (corral)...in fact, believe I picked up my A9L from a seller there for my Bird.
'84 Mustang
'98 Explorer 5.0
'06 Explorer EB 4.6

Help Pls

Reply #12
I just left the Houston area a couple of months ago and this is the local Mustang forum there with a bunch of great guys on it:

http://www.westsidemustangs.com/forum.php

There is a San Antonio forum as well that I have bought parts off of in the past and they are a good bunch of guys too:

http://www.lonestarstangs.com/forums/san-antonio-mustang-forum.7/

Then there is the Dallas/Ft. Worth site that is always good for parts as well:

http://www.dfwstangs.net/

You should be able to find everything that you need on these sites and if you cannot then the Corral is always a good place to hit up as well as Stangnet.

Darren

83 351W TKO'd T-Bird on the bottle

93 331 Mustang Coupe - 368 rwhp

Help Pls

Reply #13
Thanks again guys, y'all have really been helpful, I thought I'd get bashed for being a noob but this really makes me feel welcome,and I'll be sure to check out the forms mentioned :D

Help Pls

Reply #14
Everybody is new at some time. Gotta start somewhere. Welcome and glad your here.