Skip to main content
Topic: Rubber hose for tranny cooler? (Read 1713 times) previous topic - next topic

Rubber hose for tranny cooler?

Hey guys will tranny hose from the tranny all the way to the tranny cooler hold up fine or should I buy metal lines thanks lmk.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
87 T-Bird turbo'd and supercharged and if things call for it juiced. :evilgrin:
88 Turbocoupe t3, 4.10's, Daily driver

Re: Rubber hose for tranny cooler?

Reply #1
Metal or trouble - take your pick.
Seriously, do you really want to risk the life of your tranny for a few bucks and a couple hour work?  Didn't think so.

Reply #2
Why are you running the lines all the way to the transmission? Can't you tap into the lines at the radiator?
They sell rubber hose specifically for transmission coolers. I bought some that came from Good Year, and the quality is great.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Reply #3
MAny cars come with rubber lines for trans coolers stock.  A higher pressure, abraision rubber should be used.  Not simply a piece of rubber household plumbing pipe!  Flexible metal lines would definitly be better. 

To add an additional cooler i would advice you plumb it into the system directly after the cooler in the rad.  This adds two forms of cooling when needed and in winter (if you live in a cold climate like me) the heat from the coolant in the rad will warm the tranny fluid.  Should you bypass the stock cooler, in winter the trans will not heat up to the point where the fluid will flow quickly.

in extreme cold trans fluid gets thick and reduces line pressure in the trans during warmup.  This causes the clutches and bands to slip.

Reply #4
I don't know much about texas, but I don't think he has extreme cold conditions there.

I've had rubber lines on my car for over a year now. when I first got the car and was swapping out trannys, I had taken the metal lines from the original tranny out, only to realize that the fittings for the cooler were different. so I tried to put the originals in, but there was no way in hell I was going to get the lines back in the way they were bent up. so I ended up using rubber lines for part of the way and some metal parts the rest. so far the only problems have been the lines hanging too far down and sing the street as i drove, eating away the line and a clamp that was on it (easy fix, and one of the rubber lines slipping down the metal lines too much. basically, if I didn't have any metal parts in there, there really wouldn't be any problems. 

I think when I swap engines I'll re-run the lines, it'll be 10x easier without the engine in the way :D but it was line specifically for transmission coolers, it's pretty thick stuff, got it at kragen

Reply #5
I didn't notice he was from texas, whoops!