Skip to main content
Topic: SHO wagon build (Read 7588 times) previous topic - next topic

SHO wagon build

Almost done with the wagon build. Here a few of the highlights.

Out with the 3.8

Used all the wiring from the 94 SHO from the dash forward. Just a few modifications for the rear wiper/washer and hatch solenoid, had to re-pin some connectors where the dash harness meets the body wiring.

In with the 3.2, everything hooked up and ready to start. 

2.5" 304 stainless exhaust. Borrowed the lers and a few other things I had purchased for the TBird.

Ready for paint

Masked up ready to go

Sealed

Basecoat

Cleared

Reassembled

Recovered SHO seats. The upholstery shop talked me out of leather and used a good quality vinyl. It has a good feel and nice grain so I am pleased with them.

Just a few odds and ends to finish up. I have put about 50 miles on it now. Just a few minor issues, an egr code, and the cruise control isn't working, think it is the deactivation switch on the master cylinder.

SHO wagon build

Reply #1
thats bad ass! nice!
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

SHO wagon build

Reply #2
No kidding.....well done!

SHO wagon build

Reply #3
Badda bing, badda boom. You sure made that look easy, lol.
CoogarXR : 1985 Cougar XR-7

SHO wagon build

Reply #4
Thanks guys.

It wasn't overly difficult, but was more work than I thought it would be. Still would like to do something with the rear bumper cover and maybe shave the roof rack, but that may not happen.

SHO wagon build

Reply #5
That's sick, and I love it. :)
'84 Mustang
'98 Explorer 5.0
'03 Focus, dropped a valve seat. yay. freakin' split port engines...
'06 Explorer EB 4.6

SHO wagon build

Reply #6
This build is freakin awesome.  I want an SHO so bad.  Keep us updated please!
'88 Thunderbird LX
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Engine:  FR B303 cam, GT40P heads w/ Trickflow valve springs, Explorer upper/lower intake, SR cold air intake w/ MAF
Exhaust:  shorty headers, BBK O-R X-pipe, glasspacks w/ turn downs
Misc:  8.8 rear, Saleen SC replicas 17x8/17x10, Mach 1 front springs/SN95 rear springs
&
'74 F100 Custom 351W

SHO wagon build

Reply #7
That's pretty  cool. I like it.
88 Thunderbird LX: 306, Edelbrock Performer heads, Comp 266HR cam, Edelbrock Performer RPM intake, bunch of other stuff.

SHO wagon build

Reply #8
Very cool build, i had a 95 SHO i bought new in Nov. 96.  Never should have let it go.  The only wagon more bad ass and cool than yours is this Unicorn: http://www.hemmings.com/mus/stories/2010/09/01/hmn_feature2.html

1983 FORD THUNDERBIRD HERITAGE 5.0
2008 SAAB 9-7X AERO 6.0 (LS2) 1 0f 554 Made
2011 FORD FLEX SEL Family Hauler

SHO wagon build

Reply #9
Thanks guys. That is a cool wagon, it's amazing to me that combo was factory.

Changed the pressure differential sensor and that took care of my check engine light. That sensor seems to fail, without fail, every 18 months or so. Luckily it has a two year warranty through NAPA. Too bad this time I missed it by 3 months. Also got the cruise control working. The deactivation switch was bad but also had some loose connections and corrosion in the plug at the cruise unit. Down to getting the correct seat trim, some fog lamps, and the correct shift lever with the o/d on off button.

SHO wagon build

Reply #10
Outstanding! I had a '95 Taurus wagon in the stable for many years. It was an excellent car. Utterly reliable, rode and handled very well, performance from the 3.8 was adequate, but not exciting by any means. I had many daydreams of swapping in an SHO drivetrain, but never did. Its great to see someone actually pull it off!

SHO wagon build

Reply #11
http://jalopnik.com/5100267/ford-taurus-sho-wagon-pops-up-on-ebay

This sho started life as proper sho, was rebodied with wagon sheet metal. Interesting approach

1983 FORD THUNDERBIRD HERITAGE 5.0
2008 SAAB 9-7X AERO 6.0 (LS2) 1 0f 554 Made
2011 FORD FLEX SEL Family Hauler

SHO wagon build

Reply #12
cj750

Outstanding! I had a '95 Taurus wagon in the stable for many years. It was an excellent car. Utterly reliable, rode and handled very well, performance from the 3.8 was adequate, but not exciting by any means. I had many daydreams of swapping in an SHO drivetrain, but never did. Its great to see someone actually pull it off!

Thanks, yeah the 3.8 wasn't terrible, almost felt bad about taking it out. It was in perfect condition with 60,000 miles. I wouldn't have attempted this swap if I didn't have a rusted out donor with a good drivetrain.

MY83T

http://jalopnik.com/5100267/ford-tau...ops-up-on-ebay

This sho started life as proper sho, was rebodied with wagon sheet metal. Interesting approach

I did see that one. I think I have seen all of them that are online, lol.  The one I really liked that made me want to buy the wagon in the first place was this one.

SHO wagon build

Reply #13
Wow, that is cool, very nice sleeper on your hands now, nice job!!!

SHO wagon build

Reply #14
The words (and numbers, heh) 3.8, and perfect condition do not belong together LOL.

Or, as a friend of mine once stated about my own 3.8 that ventilated it's block: "son, it came from together"....

Sounds like you have a good one, though. Better to make some form of statuary out of it and put it on your lawn. :D
'84 Mustang
'98 Explorer 5.0
'03 Focus, dropped a valve seat. yay. freakin' split port engines...
'06 Explorer EB 4.6