Skip to main content
Topic: Converting to DIS(coil packs) on a 2.3L *Runs now* (Read 6034 times) previous topic - next topic

Converting to DIS(coil packs) on a 2.3L *Runs now*

Reply #15
Yes, it's connected but it comes from the crank sensor in the original connection.
1979 Ford Fairmont
[/B]
5.0L/4R70W/8.8"/5-lug/3" Exhuast

Reply #16
Basically I'm only using 3 wires from my TFI connector. Spout, ECM PIP, and IGN GND. IDM(tach) and 12v come from the stock coil connector. Also I didn't see anything about the shielded ground for the crank sensor, but that's grounded to a bolt on the upper intake manifold.
1979 Ford Fairmont
[/B]

Reply #17
Without being in front of it, I'm out of ideas.  Was it running before you swapped it? (A bad module perhaps?)
Long live the 4-eyes!  - '83 Tbird Turbo

Reply #18
It was running motor I got from a '92. I'm thinking the same thing. Anyway to test it? I've seen how the dist mounted ones are tested, but not these.
1979 Ford Fairmont
[/B]

Reply #19
Module tested good. Bad EEC?
1979 Ford Fairmont
[/B]

Reply #20
One other thing....on your link it shows 1 wire to the crank sensor. Does it not need a 12v supply and ground, too?
1979 Ford Fairmont
[/B]

Reply #21
Quote from: 32VFoxBird;372622
One other thing....on your link it shows 1 wire to the crank sensor. Does it not need a 12v supply and ground, too?

That basically just shows the wires at the TFI/DIS module, and what needs to be tied in there.

Reply #22
From what I understand the EEC doesn't fire the plugs. It only fires the injectors by communicating with the sensors. The ICM signals the coils once it knows crankshaft position. That should rule out a bad EEC.
1979 Ford Fairmont
[/B]

Reply #23
It doesn't fire the plugs, but the SPOUT signal is what controls the timing.  Do you have fuel and spark?

On this system, the timing is not adjustable, so as long as things are lined up properly from the start you should be good there.

Reply #24
Fuel, yes. Spark, no. I pulled several plug wires off, stuck a good spark plug in the them, grounded the electrode, had someone hit the key. And nothing. Injectors click when set to run. Fuel squirts out the gauge port.
1979 Ford Fairmont
[/B]

Reply #25
Good news.....Found the problem! ICM was not grounded correctly by the mounting bolts. (feel free to point and laugh) I moved one of the mounting bolts to the other side of the module and fired right up!

Bad news....runs like . Has a bad miss at idle. Sounds like it has a big lopey cam. There seems to be many firing orders for the DIS 2.3's, too. That could be one problem. The other thing is I'm not getting enough vacuum to operate the brakes on the car. I don't hear any hissing that would clue me a leak is present. I'll shoot some carb cleaner around the intake and see if the idle goes up and report back.

BTW, Thanks for all the help, Chuck.
1979 Ford Fairmont
[/B]

Reply #27
Chuck, what did you have to do to run just one coil pack? I grounded the 2 tan wires from the intake side coil and disconnected the DPI wire. Won't start again.
1979 Ford Fairmont
[/B]