Skip to main content
Topic: digitial dash troubles (Read 1814 times) previous topic - next topic

digitial dash troubles

when i first bought my bird the dash lights didnt come on at all, si u replaced the bulbs at the top of the speedo and voila! they work... until you hit the headlight switch then they get dim. i replaced the headlight switch thinking it was maybe a bad dial on the switch but it's still happening!! any ideas what the problem could be? i would love to get this car on the road but i need this issue fixed before i can. thanks for all the input!

digitial dash troubles

Reply #1
When you say they get dim do you mean they go out so you cant see them at all ?

They are designed so they  dim with the headlights so they are not so harsh on your eyes at night
Fox-less at the moment

digitial dash troubles

Reply #2
There's a cluster illumination relay in behind the center stack (near the radio, on the left hand side, really hard to get at). That went bad on my old 88 Cougar and it was doing the exact same thing...
2015 Mustang GT Premium - 5.0, 6-speed, Guard Green - too much awesome for one car

1988 5.0 Thunderbird :birdsmily: SOLD SEPT 11 2010: TC front clip/hood ♣ Body & paint completed Oct 2007 ♣ 3.55 TC rear end and front brakes ♣ TC interior ♣ CHE rear control arms (adjustable lowers) ♣ 2001 Bullitt springs ♣ Energy suspension poly busings ♣ Kenne Brown subframe connectors ♣ CWE engine mounts ♣ Thundercat sequential turn signals ♣ Explorer overhead console (temp/compass display) ♣ 2.25" off-road dual exhaust ♣ T-5 transmission swap completed Jan 2009 ♣

digitial dash troubles

Reply #3
Quote from: hypostang;358228

They are designed so they  dim with the headlights so they are not so harsh on your eyes at night

nah i can barely see them i have to shine a light on them if i want to see them lol

digitial dash troubles

Reply #4
Quote from: hypostang;358228

nah i can barely see them i have to shine a light on them if i want to see them lol

digitial dash troubles

Reply #5
Do you have an aftermarket stereo installed?
1986 Mercury Cougar - 2.3T/T5 swap, TC brakes and suspension and rearend, 3" exhaust, 255 lph fuel pump, Stinger BOV, Gillis MBC @ 18 psi
2003 Chevy Suburban Z71 - Daily driver
2015 Chevy Volt - Wife's daily driver

digitial dash troubles

Reply #6
yeah it had an aftermarket tape deck in it and i took it out and put a cd player in it

digitial dash troubles

Reply #7
You might check this article for some useful info  http://www.coolcats.net/tech/troubleshooting/dash.html

I know waaaaaaay back in the day, I put an aftermarket stereo in my car and my speedometer worked fine until the headlights were turned on.  Then you could only see it with a flashlight.  I don't remember exactly how I fixed it, but I think the article will give you a good starting place.
1986 Mercury Cougar - 2.3T/T5 swap, TC brakes and suspension and rearend, 3" exhaust, 255 lph fuel pump, Stinger BOV, Gillis MBC @ 18 psi
2003 Chevy Suburban Z71 - Daily driver
2015 Chevy Volt - Wife's daily driver

digitial dash troubles

Reply #8
thanks that was a great link and had some really good info. does anyone know which relay it is i see three...

digitial dash troubles

Reply #9
well after having the car for 3 months and being completly stumped as to why i had not dash lights i figured it out tonight... it was a 5 amp fuse that was blown.. :punchballs:

digitial dash troubles

Reply #10
Quote from: foxbodyjason;360798
well after having the car for 3 months and being completly stumped as to why i had not dash lights i figured it out tonight... it was a 5 amp fuse that was blown.. :punchballs:

When anything electrical happens to our cars usually the first thing to do is have a peek in the fusebox.........lesson learned lol
FOXLESS!!

1994 Lincoln Mark VIII