Skip to main content
Topic: Welding sugestions (Read 6700 times) previous topic - next topic

Welding sugestions

So I finally got a chance to practice welding again after a few years, and taking a brake from wrenching on my car. I took a fender and tried to make some beads on it, I set the welder to what the chart said for .032 wire then adjusted the speed up or down a little. I know .25 wire is preferred but this is what was in the welder so I was decided to go with it for now. I made one hole and then filled it back in with weld, but I was not able to really make any beads. Guess its been longer then I thought. I was wondering what I was or was not doing correctly any advise?

The browner area is the hole I filled in. It was about the size of a dime.

I had a hard time getting clear pictures as well.

Welding sugestions

Reply #1
Too much heat.
1987 TC

Welding sugestions

Reply #2
Quote from: HAVI;274660
Too much heat.

and not enough wire.........
[/IMG]
Just enjoyin the ride!!!!

Welding sugestions

Reply #3
If your welding sheet metal and body panels, You need to use 023 wire or you'll never be able to weld it correctly. Are you using gas with your welder?

The thinner wire will be a huge difference in what your trying to do.

What kind of welder are you using?
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
***** Project "EVOLUTION" 1987 Cougar LS  & 1985 Cougar Convertible *****
[/COLOR]
5.0 HO 306 roller block, machined GT-40P heads, Wiseco dished forged pistons, Eagle forged floating I-beam connecting rods, Lunati pushrods, ARP bolts, Scorpion aluminum 1.6 rockers, Comp Cams Magnum 266HR, Explorer intake, 65mm TB, MAF Conversion, 19# injectors, Ford Racing stainless P-headers, 2-1/2" cat-less exhaust w/ Flowtech Afterburner lers , SC AOD with 2800 BDR torque converter, 3.73 T-Lok rear, CHE rear control arms, full 2-1/2" frame w/1" jacking rails & seat supports, Rear disk brakes, Turbine wheels, All original interior w/ floor shift upgrade .......
Pretty much every panel on my 87 is new, rebuilt, or re constructed. :D
Join us on Facebook

Welding sugestions

Reply #4
Ah 023... I was thinking 025, would 025 work if I cant find 23? The welder is a Lincoln arc welder "weld pack 100" is all it says. It did have gas set up for it but I don't have a bottle now. I am pretty sure it is set up to run without gas, for gas isn't the - + reversed?

I'll mess with the speed and temp some more I guess. In laymen terms A is cold and D is hot right? the thing that sucks is there is no in between only A,B,C,D

Welding sugestions

Reply #5
It'll be tough to weld sheet metal with out a gas setup. You'll have to use to much heat which will end up distorting the metal. The thinner wire will also lower your heat required to weld.
Are you using flux core wire at the moment?
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
[/COLOR]
5.0 HO 306 roller block, machined GT-40P heads, Wiseco dished forged pistons, Eagle forged floating I-beam connecting rods, Lunati pushrods, ARP bolts, Scorpion aluminum 1.6 rockers, Comp Cams Magnum 266HR, Explorer intake, 65mm TB, MAF Conversion, 19# injectors, Ford Racing stainless P-headers, 2-1/2" cat-less exhaust w/ Flowtech Afterburner lers , SC AOD with 2800 BDR torque converter, 3.73 T-Lok rear, CHE rear control arms, full 2-1/2" frame w/1" jacking rails & seat supports, Rear disk brakes, Turbine wheels, All original interior w/ floor shift upgrade .......
Join us on Facebook

Welding sugestions

Reply #6
I just looked and I think the wire is for gas setup. Couldn't tell because the label was torn but it said something about gascore or something to the lines of that. I'll see if I can get some wire tomorrow and talk to my dad and see if he has a tank, I think he was out that's why I didn't grab the bottle with the welder.

Welding sugestions

Reply #7
.023 and .025 is the same  there is .023  .030  .035  .045 ect as standard sizes
2 88 TC's (1 is the 2.3t race car, other v8 maybe?)
06 dodge dakota 4.7 v8
79 chevy k-10, built 350/turbo 350
Diverse ain't I?
AMSOIL Dealer

Welding sugestions

Reply #8
How can .023 and .025 be the same?
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
[/COLOR]
Join us on Facebook

Welding sugestions

Reply #9
thats what I have been told. they use the same tips, and everything.
06 dodge dakota 4.7 v8
Diverse ain't I?
AMSOIL Dealer

Welding sugestions

Reply #10
Mine uses different tips. 025 wont go through a 023 tip.... I tried. LOL
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
[/COLOR]
Join us on Facebook

Welding sugestions

Reply #11
oh ok lol which welder do you use?
06 dodge dakota 4.7 v8
Diverse ain't I?
AMSOIL Dealer

Welding sugestions

Reply #12
I got a Lincoln 140c
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
[/COLOR]
Join us on Facebook

Welding sugestions

Reply #13
You need shielded wire without gas. Or ruff it like what your doing.
Old Grey Cat to this.88 Cat, 5.0 HO, CW mounts, mass air, CI custom cam, afr165's, Tmoss worked cobra intake, BBK shorty's,off road h pipe, magnaflow ex. T-5,spec stage 2 clutch, 8.8 373 TC trac loc, che ajustables with bullits on the rear. 11" brakes up front. +

Welding sugestions

Reply #14
So far Ive been happy with my HH210 running C25 .023 for thin stuff
06 dodge dakota 4.7 v8
Diverse ain't I?
AMSOIL Dealer