Skip to main content
Topic: wireing disaster (Read 9018 times) previous topic - next topic

wireing disaster

i have a 1988 mercury cougar i bought like 3 years ago. it had no headlights and needed the whole front headlight display (not sure wut its called xactly) but i couldnt find the exact part ANYWHERE but i found a 1995 front header pannel with the lights and everything at a salvage yard. the lights where totally diffrent so we cut and re-wired the lighting to fit the 95 lights... BIIG MISTAKE:punchballs: then everything else electrical went bonkers the tail lights stoped working the blinkers stoped working and wires shortd out and burned out now almost nothing eletrical works im only 17 so dont really know what im doin but i could problly learn does ANYBODY know what i should do????

wireing disaster

Reply #1
yes,
find the correct front clip for starters.

next, go to electrical tech and look into the sticky for the EVTM.  Find the wiring diagrams you need.

link up with someone who is good with wiring and able to read schematics.

if you are comfortable with this, then make sure you have a meter,,a cheapy needle meter will do for what you are doing.

let us know what you want to do,,doit youself or someone else.

wireing disaster

Reply #2
someone else if i can find some one who knows how to do it, but if not ill have to try it myself.

wireing disaster

Reply #3
That might have been a bad decision. The front ends don't even match.

wireing disaster

Reply #4
yea it was a bad decision but cant it be fixed by getting the right front end?

wireing disaster

Reply #5
Well that would be a step in the right direction but you've made a big mess of things that is going to take time to get sorted out correctly.:slap: there is no easy fix, just ask alot of questions and post pictures and we will help all we can.

wireing disaster

Reply #6
If i decide to part my car out,(87 cougar, same header panel) I'll keep you in mind if you are interested i could get you the wiring and headlights and everything you would need, just send me a pm.
FOXLESS!!

1994 Lincoln Mark VIII

wireing disaster

Reply #7
uuuuggghh!! i cant find the electrical diagram i need!!:mad:

wireing disaster

Reply #8
thanx u guys ill defenatly be asking alot of questions and ill post pics now.

wireing disaster

Reply #9
printing off the wiring diagrams here, or buying a Haynes Manual is a good start. Patience is a virtue when it come to electrical problems.  If it were me, the first thing I would do is get the proper year light bulbs for everything, assuming you still have the original sockets.  Hook it all back together, IE undo what you did before.  And then see if everything works again.  I'm thinking you blew fuses and breakers under the dash from crossing the wires, but having everything wired back to original will let you figure that out.  If all the wiring is fixed, then it's a matter of waiting until you have the right header panel and headlights, etc...  I have a maroon header panel but it's got a crack if you can't get one from closer by, but no headlights.  Good luck.
1987 TC

wireing disaster

Reply #10
this one?
I'm not sure where you cut wires.
http://s47.photobucket.com/albums/f162/jcassity_bucket/?action=view¤t=pg90.jpg
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
***** Project "EVOLUTION" 1987 Cougar LS  & 1985 Cougar Convertible *****
[/COLOR]
5.0 HO 306 roller block, machined GT-40P heads, Wiseco dished forged pistons, Eagle forged floating I-beam connecting rods, Lunati pushrods, ARP bolts, Scorpion aluminum 1.6 rockers, Comp Cams Magnum 266HR, Explorer intake, 65mm TB, MAF Conversion, 19# injectors, Ford Racing stainless P-headers, 2-1/2" cat-less exhaust w/ Flowtech Afterburner lers , SC AOD with 2800 BDR torque converter, 3.73 T-Lok rear, CHE rear control arms, full 2-1/2" frame w/1" jacking rails & seat supports, Rear disk brakes, Turbine wheels, All original interior w/ floor shift upgrade .......
Pretty much every panel on my 87 is new, rebuilt, or re constructed. :D
Join us on Facebook

wireing disaster

Reply #11
your so full of it!!!:rollin:
the whole evtm is posted,, the 88 and 87 are gonna be the same basic wiring setup.

brb

wireing disaster

Reply #13
go here
http://www.foxtbirdcougarforums.com/showthread.php?t=20492

go to the index
look for the page number

find the page
save as
open and adjust the view.

All the pages for the most part are in fairly good shape.

why would you question if a front piece would/would not be a good start?

If you need a speed rush crash course on how to use a meter,, go to my diy link,, find my ph#,  I will give you a quick crash course with a couple of hands on tasks to get you comfortable with the tool.  from there, you will be expected to be able to
-measure voltage for both AC and DC
-Measure continuity and resistance
no certificate for passing but it would make a nice resume bullet.

wireing disaster

Reply #14
about the pic you tried to post.

save as a .jpg file
open with ms picture manager
resize until its less than 145kb

on here,,,
click edit
go to manage attachmetns
remove the failed attachement

to upload the new resized jpg while in manage attachements
click browse, find the file, double click it