Skip to main content
Topic: no cigarette lighter? (Read 1736 times) previous topic - next topic

no cigarette lighter?

would anyone know where to begin, i have an 86 bird with no cig lighter, my whole assembly is missing. would there be any wires leading to the cig lighter, would this be hard to put back in?

Re: no cigarette lighter?

Reply #1
Do you have a floor shifter or column shifter?  If you don't have a console (column shifter), the cigarette ligher plug will be in the ash tray.  Otherwise it will be below the radio.  Need more details to help you out.
1987 Thunderbird 3.8. Sold :(

1982 Thunderbird - Goodbye 255, Hello 302!

Reply #2
yeah i have the column shifter, but the ashtray and all is missing.

Reply #3
Hrmmm...  There should still be some wires where the ash tray used to be. You could probably pick up a new ashtray/lighter assembly for next to nothing at a salvage yard.  I've got one out of my '85, but the front of it is black, not sure what you need.  You can have it (just pay shipping, $10?).

I didn't notice your location at first.  I'm in Ames.  Yay, someone closer than 500 miles!
1987 Thunderbird 3.8. Sold :(

1982 Thunderbird - Goodbye 255, Hello 302!

Reply #4
Id guess the wiring is laying around in there somewhere also.  Be careful in your hunt cause its probably sitting there with power on it.  worst that could happen is you blow the fuse to the circuit.

Reply #5
thanks for all the info, i got to looking and the metal bracket where the ash tray connects to is all bent and broken so i will probably put some gauges in there somehow?

Reply #6
thanks for all the info, i got to looking and the metal bracket where the ash tray connects to is all bent and broken so i will probably put some gauges in there somehow?

yeah your the first person i seen on the forum that lives in iowa :)