Skip to main content
Topic: 351W (427W) w/Canton oil pan ishiznitting steering rack (Read 3554 times) previous topic - next topic

351W (427W) w/Canton oil pan ishiznitting steering rack

Reply #15
Quote from: Cougar5.0;462701
Thanks for the info. I'm guessing I jumped on these as soon as they were available, so early sounds right. There is only one hole for the vertical through bolt.

I got the driver's side on, which was the one being the real pain, I just need to somehow get the passenger side PVC piece (between the u-bracket and k-frame) the proper thickness. I wish I had run a drill through the k-frame holes like I did on the driver's side. I'm just having an issue getting the bolt to start in the nut - it's barely squeezing through the slightly misaligned pieces. Are the long bolts 3/8"-24? I've tapered the bolt to aide in getting it started, but I'm having a heck of a time getting the 3/8"-24 die to grab the original threads without getting hungry. I think I'll get it after work, just having the issue getting the far end to start, though the front allows the bolt to slide right in easily.

If you're Karl, in NH, you bought them in the first batch of Type 6's in '06.

Not sure what PVC piece you're talking about, unless you're using something to shim the u-bracket up off the K-member to get the bolt through. Any reason to not use a floor jack to raise/lower the engine to make things easier? (Just curious if I'm missing something, or not). And yes, the bolts are M10, as you figured out. The original bolts are fine to use, if you still have them. They are tapered and the same thread as what's included with the mounts.
Long live the 4-eyes!  - '83 Tbird Turbo

Reply #16
Quote from: Chuck W;462709
If you're Karl, in NH, you bought them in the first batch of Type 6's in '06.

Not sure what PVC piece you're talking about, unless you're using something to shim the u-bracket up off the K-member to get the bolt through. Any reason to not use a floor jack to raise/lower the engine to make things easier? (Just curious if I'm missing something, or not). And yes, the bolts are M10, as you figured out. The original bolts are fine to use, if you still have them. They are tapered and the same thread as what's included with the mounts.

Thanks, I may look for the original bolts although I got the one's you supplied to work after grinding a bit of a taper on the end. Indeed I am Karl from NH - you keep immaculate records :D

What's funny is I was actually hoping these were a little short, for hood clearance issues, so that worked out good. I still have 1/4" clearance even using a 1/2" spacer between the elbow and intake. This allows me to use a N2O plate kit if I desire. :evilgrin: After thinking about what you said above, I think it would be more elegant to add big washers to shim the mount internally vs. what I did, which was indeed adding PVC "plate" pieces that I cut to size and drilled/counter-bored to clear the bolt head and washer. The difficulty was having the u-bracket too high to get the bolt through, so I had to machine the pieces thinner on my endmill (they started at about 1/4".) I was using a cherry picker to lift the engine up/down, so that wasn't an issue, it was just being stubborn whereas if I didn't shim both sides simultaneously, the engine would tend to slide to the passenger side.

Anyway, the engine is down, and I finally was able to retire the cherry picker for now. I'm pretty excited about the amount of clearance I have, though the oil pan is still just barely touching the rack, thus I'm now thinking (since I have the most shim possible under the mounts) that shimming with the large washers may be the best "final solution". If I remove the shims, I'll need about 0.2" - 0.25" added in washers.
11.96 @ 118 MPH old 306 KB; 428W coming soon.

Reply #17
Quote from: Cougar5.0;462713
Thanks, I may look for the original bolts although I got the one's you supplied to work after grinding a bit of a taper on the end. Indeed I am Karl from NH - you keep immaculate records :D

What's funny is I was actually hoping these were a little short, for hood clearance issues, so that worked out good. I still have 1/4" clearance even using a 1/2" spacer between the elbow and intake. This allows me to use a N2O plate kit if I desire. :evilgrin: After thinking about what you said above, I think it would be more elegant to add big washers to shim the mount internally vs. what I did, which was indeed adding PVC "plate" pieces that I cut to size and drilled/counter-bored to clear the bolt head and washer. The difficulty was having the u-bracket too high to get the bolt through, so I had to machine the pieces thinner on my endmill (they started at about 1/4".) I was using a cherry picker to lift the engine up/down, so that wasn't an issue, it was just being stubborn whereas if I didn't shim both sides simultaneously, the engine would tend to slide to the passenger side.

Anyway, the engine is down, and I finally was able to retire the cherry picker for now. I'm pretty excited about the amount of clearance I have, though the oil pan is still just barely touching the rack, thus I'm now thinking (since I have the most shim possible under the mounts) that shimming with the large washers may be the best "final solution". If I remove the shims, I'll need about 0.2" - 0.25" added in washers.

I kept track of every set of mounts that I sold.

I should have a stack of those washers in the garage (even after the move), and if you haven't moved in the past 10 years, I still have your address. ;) I can send you a few, if you need them.

Reply #18
Quote from: Chuck W;462722
I kept track of every set of mounts that I sold.

I should have a stack of those washers in the garage (even after the move), and if you haven't moved in the past 10 years, I still have your address. ;) I can send you a few, if you need them.

Sure. Yes, same address :) I can Paypal you whatever you need to cover it - let me know.

Reply #19
I'm not too worried about that. Just need to dig them out this weekend.

Reply #20
You should see the extra washers by Sat.

Reply #21
Quote from: Chuck W;462830
You should see the extra washers by Sat.

Awesome, thanks :)

Reply #22
I did indeed get the new washers yesterday. :D Thank you very much. I added 2 to the passenger side mount and now there's clearance between the rack and oil pan! Probably make the driver's side the same after I get this beast running.

Reply #23
Not a problem. Hope you get it running soon. :)

Reply #24
Quote from: Chuck W;462901
Not a problem. Hope you get it running soon. :)

It's fighting me at every turn. Yesterday I had to remove every Earl's straight AN fitting (4 total) and replace them with Russel brand. After spending 45 minutes trying to get one of those fittings to properly cut into the Teflon tubing, I finally decided that I don't trust the engineering behind these when used with an inner hose (braided stainless exterior) that was too hard/slippery to slice axially with their "cutter" ring (it's just a sharp edge soft aluminum ring, no serration.) Glad Pep Boys sells these fittings and they currently have a 30% discount on many items which made them the same price as online (Summit.) This was one problem of several causing me to fritter my time away, though I could only work so hard with 100 degree "real feel" soupy air. Oh, well. At least it wasn't snowing. :)