Skip to main content
Topic: Restoring faded vynil and plastic interior parts??? (Read 1402 times) previous topic - next topic

Restoring faded vynil and plastic interior parts???

My interior is like a monobluematic rainbow. Most of my dash board parts are faded, especialy the center console and instrument panels, those are extremely faded.
They faded even more when i removed the dash to scrub it clean, i used a brush which did nothing but help the fading process. I also used cleaning agents used to remove grease such as Fantastik, the car had 18 year of nicotine build up on all the panels. The color started to come off, like I sprayed, let it sit for 30 seconds, and wiped off, and the towel was dark blue. There's run spots from where i forgot about it and it 'bleached' it to a lighter color.

I love this car, I've put so much time into, cleaning it and beautifying it, i'm not even done, i've been working on it for almost a month now. I still have to get some degreaser and finish the engine. The interior is as clean as it's going to get.

I need to know how and what I need to restore the panels to they're near original color. I can't do drastic color changes because the carpet and door panel carpet are staying, unless you can change the color of that stuff too.

So far this is what I plan on doing to my car, not much because it's got 202280 miles on it and I need money so i can do some repairs on the exhaust.

Interior from most important to least
-head light circuit breaker/head lights and clean head light covers
-steering wheel replacement or steering wheel cover
-Seat covers
-Power window switch replacement
-Restore original color to panels
-Replace door panels
-Replace carpet

Or go to junk yard, find a complete interior in a color I like and replace carpet, headliner, seats, entire dash, door panels and whatever else and get car painted to a color that looks good.

Exterior from most important to least
-Locks on both doors need replacing or fixing, they do not lock with key.
-Hub cabs
-replace bumper....scroll down for pic...lol
-Remove black stripping, sand down to smooth finish on front and rear bumpers, bondo up body.
-Repaint to a nice Midnight blue, or something that goes with dark blue interior.
-Cowl induction hood
-Custom paint, flames, whatever.

Engine
-Air filter, replace all fluids, steering pump hose.
-Replace entire exhaust system with one from a junkyard, from pre cats to tail pipe. Mine is rusted and it's just retarded.
-Replace exhaust manifold.
-weld together custom dual exhaust with flowmaster exhaust i can get off a friend for $20, probably not going to happen.
-Drop in a 5.0.

A few pics of my bucket.
Interior shot

The shagy bumper

Front