Skip to main content
Topic: Corbeau GTS II Seat Install (Read 14343 times) previous topic - next topic

Corbeau GTS II Seat Install

Reply #15
Finally ... some more small progress.  The past month has been a little rough as far as "spare" time goes, but I was able to get both seat tracks reassembled and tested this weekend.  Both successfully moved and operated correctly in all directions, so I was happy about that.  I also got the driver's side one mounted to the seat, but I have some additional interior stuff that I want to address in terms of stereo wiring, so it will still be a little while before I probably have them installed.

Reply #16
Wow!  Night and day difference.  After taking them apart, cleaning, paint, and reassembly do you think they work better than before?  Did not know if there was an added bonus to the great look.

83 351W TKO'd T-Bird on the bottle

93 331 Mustang Coupe - 368 rwhp

Reply #17
Well ... during reassembly, I made sure to work all of the rotating parts and hinges pretty good.  Some of those areas are pretty tight and there's no real good way to keep paint out of them when you are spray painting the top coat.  I added some oil and just worked the parts back and forth by hand until I was happy with how freely everything moved.  I then added some lithium grease to the the actual track beds and gears that control the different motions.  They run nice and smooth, no issues.  They definitely didn't get worse, but I'm not sure I can say that they run any better ... I think so much of that is a function of the actual electric motor.  The other "issue" I encountered (and could kick myself over now) is that I really don't have any use for the adapter brackets that are needed on the manual tracks.  The power tracks have more surface area to the inside of the stock mounting locations where they come into contact with the bottom of the seats, so I just needed to drill new holes directly in them to mount the seats.

Reply #18
This is what happens when you decide to just keep going instead of simply installing your seats ... ha!  I've had a few "nagging" things that I have wanted to address since getting the car put back together over 10 years ago.  I've taken a little bit of the "while I'm at it" approach here ... so ... more stuff keeps coming off of the car instead of going on.  I think I'm turning a corner though ...

Reply #19
One of my "while I'm at it" items is replacing my door locks and ignition switch in the car.  The car was broken into a long time ago and the person/people who broke into it punched out my passenger side lock to gain access to the car.  I replaced the lock cylinder with one out of a salvage yard, but they left me with one key for the driver's door and ignition, a different key for the passenger's door, and yet a different key for the trunk.  Just a little bit of an annoyance, but since I have the door panels off, I figured it was time to try to rectify the problem.  Did some research and found the OEM Ford kit (complete with keys) to replace these and get back to the way things used to be.  The pictures are not great, but the kit includes both door cylinders, the cylinder retainers (spring clips), ignition switch, two keys, and an ID tag for the keys.

Reply #20
Quote from: 85CougarCobra;457097
I don't have the original OEM seats (w/ console) that were in the car.  I'm actually trying to sell the Mustang seats that you see in the earlier pictures as well as a set of blue Turbo Coupe seats that are the same basic seats ... just blue.

I'm looking for a single seat, driver or passenger, doesn't matter.  You're kind of far, and shipping would probably be a lot though.

Reply #21
Well, I have the seats ... but as you said, shipping is probably prohibitive.

Reply #22
Door lock set now installed along with matching ignition switch.

Reply #23
Old ignition pulled from the steering column ...

Reply #24
Getting the door interior back together after adding wiring for the courtesy lights (upgraded the door panels years ago but never had the actual lights), re-did my door speaker Dynamat, and ran new wiring for the speakers as well.  Pulled the stock leather wrapped (worn out) steering wheel ... to be replaced with an XR7 style one.

Reply #25
Got the passenger side panel back on as well and hooked up my "new" LED courtesy lights.

Reply #26
nice work

Reply #27
 nice work,,
great pictures and progress.

I love the work / detail into the seat tracks,, it may not make them work better but they do look much nicer.
one thing about doing what seems to be pointless tasks,, you end up going through all the pieces parts and along the way making improvements or get the opportunity to  notice something small that you can fix so its not a problem later.

nice work!

Reply #28
my son did LED strip lighting along the bottom edge of the doors.

being the logical one he is, he explains why.

when you park your car at night, your door now lights up the ground,, that way you can see what your about to step into... like water, ice or even dog shiznit!

didnt mean to give you any ideas ,, but you seem like someone who would want to do something like that based on your attention to detail is see

Reply #29
I love the work / detail into the seat tracks,, it may not make them work better but they do look much nicer.
one thing about doing what seems to be pointless tasks,, you end up going through all the pieces parts and along the way making improvements or get the opportunity to notice something small that you can fix so its not a problem later.

Thanks.  A lot of this stuff has been a long time coming.  Again, probably stuff that no one would ever notice or care much about, but it has built up over the years and has been nagging me.  Having a touch of OCD doesn't help ... lol ... but the car is by no means perfect.  I enjoy modifying ... but I like to try to keep it as clean as possible or try my best to have it look like a factory job.  I try to avoid hacking into wiring and stuff of that nature.  Doing the 5.0 swap was a bit of a challenge as I had to go out in search of an '86 Tbird/Cougar EFI 5.0 engine harness.  Frankly, even though I love the car, it was never anything special in terms of rarity or how it was optioned out ... after all these years have passed though, "special" starts to take on a little different meaning when these cars aren't exactly a dime a dozen in the salvage yards.  When I started this thread, I was "simply" swapping in new seats, but that has turned into a little more since many of these things are easier to address while the interior is mostly gutted.