Skip to main content
Topic: anybody NOT have belt moldings on their car? (Read 9412 times) previous topic - next topic

anybody NOT have belt moldings on their car?

Reply #30
I have to give you credit Vinnie.  You're always accomplishing something with your ride.
William

Reply #31
Quote from: Bruce M;349650
Very nice Eric, I love the side exhaust.

Thanks, but...you've really not seen my car before now?! ;)

While we're on the subject...I have never had one single comment about the spoiler on my trunk. Not here, not at shows, never.
Either everyone likes it or nobody notices it!
Honestly it's the only one that I feel looks good on a Cougar, and I had to mod the hell out of it to get it right. Not a fan of the typical pedestal-style spoilers.
I don't know if the car would have looked right with the ground effects but without a spoiler. It seems to balance something somewhere.

Anyway...back to the removal of molding...

Reply #32
I don't have any side moldings at all on my 85. I took them off before it went to the body shop, and I haven't decided if I want them back on. They are in pretty bad shape.

I do regret having the the body shop put the 2-tone paint line dead center where the molding should be. I pretty much have to put them back on to make it look right. Somebody who doesn't know any better might not notice, but it bugs me. But this will give you an idea of what a cougar looks like with none at all :)

This is an old picture, but it's all I could find on my hard drive, lol.
CoogarXR : 1985 Cougar XR-7

Reply #33
You have to have the trim that meets up with the bumper covers,otherwise,it leaves the bumper covers looking unfinished.
'88 Sport--T-5,MGW shifter,Trick Flow R intake,Ed Curtis cam,Trick Flow heads,Scorpion rockers,75mm Accufab t-body,3G,mini starter,Taurus fan,BBK long tube headers,O/R H-Pipe, Flowamaster Super 44's, deep and deeper Cobra R wheels, Mass Air and 24's,8.8 with 3.73's,140 mph speedo,Mach 1 chin spoiler,SN-95 springs,CHE control arms,aluminum drive shaft and a lot more..

Reply #34
Quote from: hypostang;349639
How much are you offering him for the wing Vinnie??

It's kinda ugly...I'd say I'll have to give Vinnie $20 to take it...:rollin:
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
***** Project "EVOLUTION" 1987 Cougar LS  & 1985 Cougar Convertible *****
[/COLOR]
5.0 HO 306 roller block, machined GT-40P heads, Wiseco dished forged pistons, Eagle forged floating I-beam connecting rods, Lunati pushrods, ARP bolts, Scorpion aluminum 1.6 rockers, Comp Cams Magnum 266HR, Explorer intake, 65mm TB, MAF Conversion, 19# injectors, Ford Racing stainless P-headers, 2-1/2" cat-less exhaust w/ Flowtech Afterburner lers , SC AOD with 2800 BDR torque converter, 3.73 T-Lok rear, CHE rear control arms, full 2-1/2" frame w/1" jacking rails & seat supports, Rear disk brakes, Turbine wheels, All original interior w/ floor shift upgrade .......
Pretty much every panel on my 87 is new, rebuilt, or re constructed. :D
Join us on Facebook

Reply #35
Here was mine during the paint job just before the moldings were re-installed:

I thought hard about deleting the moldings, but just did not feel it looked right with the molding still on the bumpers and in front of and behind the tires.  Plus its from the 80's...its supposed to have stuff like that ;)
'88 'bird, 10.9:1 306 w/TFS top end, forged rods/pistons, T-5 swap & bunch of other stuff, 1-family owned, had it since ‘98, 5.0tbrd88 on Instagram and YouTube

Reply #36
Quote from: 50tbrd88;349684
Here was mine during the paint job just before the moldings were re-installed:

I thought hard about deleting the moldings, but just did not feel it looked right with the molding still on the bumpers and in front of and behind the tires.  Plus its from the 80's...its supposed to have stuff like that ;)

I think it looks better with the moldings. When I get mine painted it's going to be 100% stock looking, like it looks now ;).
88 Thunderbird LX: 306, Edelbrock Performer heads, Comp 266HR cam, Edelbrock Performer RPM intake, bunch of other stuff.

Reply #37
Quote from: daminc;349678
It's kinda ugly...I'd say I'll have to give Vinnie $20 to take it...:rollin:

That's funny.LOL.
'88 Sport--T-5,MGW shifter,Trick Flow R intake,Ed Curtis cam,Trick Flow heads,Scorpion rockers,75mm Accufab t-body,3G,mini starter,Taurus fan,BBK long tube headers,O/R H-Pipe, Flowamaster Super 44's, deep and deeper Cobra R wheels, Mass Air and 24's,8.8 with 3.73's,140 mph speedo,Mach 1 chin spoiler,SN-95 springs,CHE control arms,aluminum drive shaft and a lot more..

Reply #38
Quote from: sarjxxx;349654
does the fms fit on a 87/88 rear end?

That's a negative.

Reply #39
I wouldn't mine putting something new on,but what I had do after pulling them off, I'm not. Hidden secrets under those things!
Old Grey Cat to this.88 Cat, 5.0 HO, CW mounts, mass air, CI custom cam, afr165's, Tmoss worked cobra intake, BBK shorty's,off road h pipe, magnaflow ex. T-5,spec stage 2 clutch, 8.8 373 TC trac loc, che ajustables with bullits on the rear. 11" brakes up front. +

Reply #40
Fiberglass replacements with removable chrome strips would be perfect. I've often thought about that.

That being said, if there was a good, simple way to remove the molding from the bumper covers, our cars would have been SO much cleaner looking.

Reply #41
FINALLY!!!

I've been trying to do this forever:D They're like the twins of each other!!

--Steve
[thread=28690]1988 Cougar V6[/thread]
2012 F-150 3.7L
2011 Mustang 3.7L

Reply #42
...lol, more like cousins.
'88 'bird, 10.9:1 306 w/TFS top end, forged rods/pistons, T-5 swap & bunch of other stuff, 1-family owned, had it since ‘98, 5.0tbrd88 on Instagram and YouTube

Reply #43
lol, other then the wheels and door handles, there's not much that's the same
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
***** Project "EVOLUTION" 1987 Cougar LS  & 1985 Cougar Convertible *****
[/COLOR]
5.0 HO 306 roller block, machined GT-40P heads, Wiseco dished forged pistons, Eagle forged floating I-beam connecting rods, Lunati pushrods, ARP bolts, Scorpion aluminum 1.6 rockers, Comp Cams Magnum 266HR, Explorer intake, 65mm TB, MAF Conversion, 19# injectors, Ford Racing stainless P-headers, 2-1/2" cat-less exhaust w/ Flowtech Afterburner lers , SC AOD with 2800 BDR torque converter, 3.73 T-Lok rear, CHE rear control arms, full 2-1/2" frame w/1" jacking rails & seat supports, Rear disk brakes, Turbine wheels, All original interior w/ floor shift upgrade .......
Pretty much every panel on my 87 is new, rebuilt, or re constructed. :D
Join us on Facebook

Reply #44
Quote from: ivygreen;349570
Hey, not to jack the thread, but I just converted to 5 lug wheels and can't use those wheels anymore.  I have the wheels with the tires sitting in the garage, so they could be for sale if someone is interested.  They need a really thorough polish, but other than that they're perfect.

My '83 is also silver, so your car's exactly how I picture mine will eventually look, ivy.  Could you please confirm that those wheels are 16" and their width?  Also, what size tires are you running?
'83 302/AOD Heritage (silver/red, full restoration w/ SEFI, 5-lug, 8.8, rear discs in-progress)
'95 Explorer Limited (white/gray, 4x2, 323K mile daily driver)
'97 Cobra (black/black, bolt-ons, 4.10's)
'04 Lightning (black/gray, bolt-ons, stock-pulley gas guzzler)