Skip to main content
Topic: Take it apart and put it back together for no reason!!! (Read 12370 times) previous topic - next topic

Take it apart and put it back together for no reason!!!

Reply #30
The Sport has a Mountaineer GT40-P engine with ported and nicely worked "P" heads. Other stuff as well to give a few extra horsepower.

As far as the smog setup. Install a smog delete pulley,paint it black to match the others,and most people will never notice as long as the rest of the stuff is gone as well.
'88 Sport--T-5,MGW shifter,Trick Flow R intake,Ed Curtis cam,Trick Flow heads,Scorpion rockers,75mm Accufab t-body,3G,mini starter,Taurus fan,BBK long tube headers,O/R H-Pipe, Flowamaster Super 44's, deep and deeper Cobra R wheels, Mass Air and 24's,8.8 with 3.73's,140 mph speedo,Mach 1 chin spoiler,SN-95 springs,CHE control arms,aluminum drive shaft and a lot more..

Reply #31
I'm just leaving the pump.... not actually connected to anything of course
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
***** Project "EVOLUTION" 1987 Cougar LS  & 1985 Cougar Convertible *****
[/COLOR]
5.0 HO 306 roller block, machined GT-40P heads, Wiseco dished forged pistons, Eagle forged floating I-beam connecting rods, Lunati pushrods, ARP bolts, Scorpion aluminum 1.6 rockers, Comp Cams Magnum 266HR, Explorer intake, 65mm TB, MAF Conversion, 19# injectors, Ford Racing stainless P-headers, 2-1/2" cat-less exhaust w/ Flowtech Afterburner lers , SC AOD with 2800 BDR torque converter, 3.73 T-Lok rear, CHE rear control arms, full 2-1/2" frame w/1" jacking rails & seat supports, Rear disk brakes, Turbine wheels, All original interior w/ floor shift upgrade .......
Pretty much every panel on my 87 is new, rebuilt, or re constructed. :D
Join us on Facebook

Reply #32
I've just never seen gray paint on the 5.0 blocks, probably because it was so poorly done that it didn't last much more than a year ;)
88 Thunderbird LX: 306, Edelbrock Performer heads, Comp 266HR cam, Edelbrock Performer RPM intake, bunch of other stuff.

Ford Gray!!!!!! :)

Reply #33
One coat of self-etch primer, two coats of Dupli-Color "Ford Gray". I kiiiiiinda feel like it's a little darker than the remains I found degreasing it LOL. I'm just too  OCD, nuttin's ever good enough! As if it's ever gonna be in a 400 point AACA show :rollin:. I mean I'd really LIKE it to....but EGR parts and the like missing make it non-original.

SO!!!! Looks great, even better in person, no runs or anything, I thought I sprayed it kinda thick, but I'm jsut so worried it's gonna come off with the heat of the engine. I suppose it'll help that the usage will be very very low and of course the car will never have a drop of water touch it anywhere anytime.

I'll start reassembling the motor in it's entirety soon, THAT I can't wait to see.
1987 20th Anniversary Cougar, 302 "5.0" GT-40 heads (F3ZE '93 Cobra) and TMoss Ported H.O. intake, H.O. camshaft
2.5" Duals, no cats, Flowmaster 40s, Richmond 3.73s w/ Trac-Lok, maxed out Baumann shift kit, 3000 RPM Dirty Dog non-lock TC
Aside from the Mustang crinkle headers, still looks like it's only 150 HP...
1988 Black XR7 Trick Flow top end, Tremec 3550
1988 Black XR7 Procharger P600B intercooled, Edelbrock Performer non-RPM heads, GT40 intake AOD, 13 PSI @5000 RPM. 93 octane

Reply #34
Other pics.
1987 20th Anniversary Cougar, 302 "5.0" GT-40 heads (F3ZE '93 Cobra) and TMoss Ported H.O. intake, H.O. camshaft
2.5" Duals, no cats, Flowmaster 40s, Richmond 3.73s w/ Trac-Lok, maxed out Baumann shift kit, 3000 RPM Dirty Dog non-lock TC
1988 Black XR7 Procharger P600B intercooled, Edelbrock Performer non-RPM heads, GT40 intake AOD, 13 PSI @5000 RPM. 93 octane

Reply #35
The paint will stay on fine. When the engine heats up the paint will bake onto the block and heads. After 3 years the duplicolor Ford blue on mine has held up fine. If you're going to do what I do with mine (not drive the car in rain or snow/salt) the paint on the block will last forever.
88 Thunderbird LX: 306, Edelbrock Performer heads, Comp 266HR cam, Edelbrock Performer RPM intake, bunch of other stuff.

Reply #36
Its always reassuring that taking something apart that isnt broken basically says its going to start up fine when you put it in.  I totally get what your doing but I couldnt be so close to where you are without doing a rebuild.

Reply #37
I love when you forget to look back for awhile and notice new posts you had no idea were there :hick:. Lou that's exactly what usage the car will see haha. And as far as a rebuild, absolutely this goes against common sense when have I ever exhibited that? :rollin: 

But, onward with some good news! (FINALLY!!)  Completed the piston cutting process today, worked so well with the drill and shop vac adapter to the spark plug hole. I bought sticky sandpaper and cut out circles, had just enough plus an extra so that each relief used it's own piece of sandpaper, which was necessary, it did wear each one right down. But I love the way the "eyebrows" look, a very clean cut in each case and now PLENTY of clearance. To beat the dead horse AGAIN, this car won't get beaten.....buuuuut if I need to strut my stuff and be an asshole by doing a rev limiter burnout, I can just as before and worry not. :evilgrin: Which is handy because boy do these sound good up there.....

Definitely the highlight of the day being my decision to go ahead and re-assemble it to where I had it before I realized I had an issue, including an alternator with the CORRECT awesome-looking fan that these came with, thanks to Anthony aka Kingcars. :D There ya go ya  I know you'd bitch if the credit wasn't included HAHAHA :P  So that picture is of course included as well because I've been waiting to be able to post that kind of pic too as many others have!!!!

Reply #38
Yum!!!!!!!

Reply #39
Nice progress. I am surprised you're not going with a 3G after everything going on. Either way,sweet looking engine. When is it going in the car?
'88 Sport--T-5,MGW shifter,Trick Flow R intake,Ed Curtis cam,Trick Flow heads,Scorpion rockers,75mm Accufab t-body,3G,mini starter,Taurus fan,BBK long tube headers,O/R H-Pipe, Flowamaster Super 44's, deep and deeper Cobra R wheels, Mass Air and 24's,8.8 with 3.73's,140 mph speedo,Mach 1 chin spoiler,SN-95 springs,CHE control arms,aluminum drive shaft and a lot more..

Reply #40
3G is not factory correct ;) And yes I'm sure it would do even better but surprisingly I haven't once had a single electrical *power supply* worry with this car. In fact, the Autocraft Titatnium battery that my dad bought for it, and he couldn't have bought it any more recently than late 2002 is still like new in it's cranking delivery and ability to sit and hold a charge as well. But it clearly must be being charged well while in use. And lights never dim or anything like that.

I'm focusing on the engine now because it's something to get done LOL. Still waiting on my friend's dad to come weld my frame up. He WILL do that, he's as dependable and honest as the day is long. But I told him no rush, and he needs money and refuses to charge me for this. So as of now he's busy bringing cash-making jobs into his garage.

I will be powerwashing, maybe sandblasting the transmission soon as well as getting the very minor front leak fixed. It has to be either the input shaft seal (which I already replaced last spring) or the pump casing gasket. I have to ask around, I don't know if that can just unbolt and slide out or if anything has to be taken apart in the valve body first. I think I will just thoroughly clean the case and around it in the bellhousing and goop Permatex Super High Tack on the joint as a backup plan.

Reply #41
You're going for a restored appearance? Factory fresh.

Reply #42
Yup, factory appearing but sure as hell not factory muscle! I'll keep my trusty 5.0 LITER EFI plaque atop the intake, and aside from headers (which will be a flat dark grey so as not to draw much attention to themselves) you'll never know by looking at it what it's got packing. I keep thinking maybe I'll get some Flowmaster 50 or 70 series and actually put TAILPIPES on the  thing so it's not much louder than your average pickup truck. That would go well with the whole thing and it would be truer to the car itself....these were luxury or semi-luxury cars, it ought to be quiet. Powerful but delivering that with class. The silver car has an E cam and that's the car to keep totally obnoxious. But I dunno...I don't think I can make myself do it. No it won't be driven a lot, but when I do drive it I'm still gonna be aggravated that I can't hear the thing! By "hear the thing" I of course mean setting off nearby car alarms. But that's just obvious (right). LOL

Reply #43
Do you have a Tmoss ported stock HO intake?

Reply #44
Hell yeah! I'm amazed at his (their) work. I say their because it's him and his brother Matt that run the "whole operation". They gave me a list of options and I said I wanted everything with everything on it. Porting it to flow like a GT40, cleaning it in a solvent tank, bead blasting everything and then coating it with clear ceramic enamel good to 500 degrees F. Took 'em a few days and that's it. Really impressed.