Skip to main content
Topic: Interior Restoration (Read 33435 times) previous topic - next topic

Interior Restoration

I am going for a real "Raven" interior as Raven's are black...not blue.  I will update as I install pieces in the car.  First thing is dashpad, headliner, and carpet.  I redid the headliner first.  It is pretty easy actually.  Get the material from JoAnn's (2 yards)and you will need 2 cans of 3M Headliner($11ea) glue from Autozone....total cost @$50.  Just got the carpet and dashpad today. They were about $240.  I got a can of interior plastic paint from Autozone to try, and it works really well.  It's not too shiny, but looks like it is Armorall'd, and it doesn't scratch off.  First pics are the starting point.  It may take me awhile but at least it's a start.

Interior Restoration

Reply #1
couple more pics.  Man it is sooooooo tempting to throw a cage in there.

Interior Restoration

Reply #2
Cool!! keep us all updated with lots of pics :D
Fox-less at the moment

Interior Restoration

Reply #3
I don't know how one even gets the dash removed like that...and reinstalled. How do you get the wires through the area behind the instrument cluster and how do you remember what goes where?! No amount of pictures can help that...
1988 Thunderbird Sport

Interior Restoration

Reply #4
PRACTISE!  Just take your time, label EVERY connector(I mark each side of every connector I pull apart with a permanent marker and number), take LOTS of digital pics so you can blow them up on the puter, and MOST IMPORTANTLY, keep in good graces with people on this website so when you screw it up you can ask questions! ;)

Interior Restoration

Reply #5
I've replaced all of my interior as well.Holy ,what a c,but,if you're not on a time schedule,and you just take your time,not that bad in the long run.I did the "number marking" system as well.Makes things fall together a LOT easier.Good luck,and keep the pics posted as you go.
'88 Sport--T-5,MGW shifter,Trick Flow R intake,Ed Curtis cam,Trick Flow heads,Scorpion rockers,75mm Accufab t-body,3G,mini starter,Taurus fan,BBK long tube headers,O/R H-Pipe, Flowamaster Super 44's, deep and deeper Cobra R wheels, Mass Air and 24's,8.8 with 3.73's,140 mph speedo,Mach 1 chin spoiler,SN-95 springs,CHE control arms,aluminum drive shaft and a lot more..

Interior Restoration

Reply #6
You can order new carpet for our cars? Or did you get some used stuff?
-'88 Tbird 3.8
-2012 Altima 2.5 BASE. 
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Future: Budget 5.0 300 HP.

Interior Restoration

Reply #7
New carpet is readily available.I got dark graphite for mine a few years ago.I'll probably swap it after the seats are recovered.It'll depend on the color I end up choosing.Go to Ebay and look up (Thunderbird Carpet". Companies will pop right up for you. One piece pre molded.You do have to cut the holes for the bolts to the seats and power seat harness and console harness if you have one.
'88 Sport--T-5,MGW shifter,Trick Flow R intake,Ed Curtis cam,Trick Flow heads,Scorpion rockers,75mm Accufab t-body,3G,mini starter,Taurus fan,BBK long tube headers,O/R H-Pipe, Flowamaster Super 44's, deep and deeper Cobra R wheels, Mass Air and 24's,8.8 with 3.73's,140 mph speedo,Mach 1 chin spoiler,SN-95 springs,CHE control arms,aluminum drive shaft and a lot more..

Interior Restoration

Reply #8
Hey, that looks familiar..lol. Did the same thing on my old Cougar.

95 Ranger Splash 2.3
88 Tbird Sport :ies::ies:
5.0 SO, stainless shorty headers, w/ Magnaflow lers. KYB struts, KYB shocks. 5lug conversion from sn95 Mustang, subframe connectors, drilled and slotted rotors, 03 Mach 1 wheels. sequential taillights.140 speedo

Interior Restoration

Reply #9
Quote from: Seek;336450
I don't know how one even gets the dash removed like that...and reinstalled. How do you get the wires through the area behind the instrument cluster and how do you remember what goes where?! No amount of pictures can help that...

Look at the pictures early in my resto thread. I am a master at removing and installing the dash. When I settled on using a modified to fit 1994-04 Mustang dash in my Bird, I managed to wire up the Mustang instrument cluster to function with all it's extra gauges with absolutely no difficulty. I was also able to wire up the late model audio system and add a keyless entry system. I even was able to do away with the factory joystick power antenna control switch and wire a three wire Mustang convertible top switch to operate with relays so that the up and down function of the power antenna would have isolated circuits.

I am at the point that I sorta laugh when people scoff at the idea of removing a complete dash as I have really taken for granted the skill I have to disassemble anything and put it back together without screws missing or extra screws leftoever. It's an aquired skill and not so much for the inexperienced but you learn by doing even if you make a few mistakes along the way. Every time you do something sucessfully you gain confidence that you can tackle something bigger.

Apart:

All rust removed and painted black:

Original Dash Reinstalled:

1994-04 Dash Installed:

Interior Restoration

Reply #10
It's fine outside of the few issues of where the harness attaches to the dash and I have no idea right now how they routed certain pieces of harness. I'd like to do the de-rusting thing also at some point. I figure if it can easily be done by working on it daily for 2-4 hours a day, within a month, then the job's not all that bad.
1988 Thunderbird Sport

Interior Restoration

Reply #11
The headliner and dash are back in.

Interior Restoration

Reply #12
Nice work,now for all the little stuff.

Interior Restoration

Reply #13
Looking good :D
Fox-less at the moment

Interior Restoration

Reply #14
I gotta figure out how to re-cover the visors.  I painted all the interior pieces today, but I am waiting to put it all together cuz I have decided to but a 6 point bar inside.