Skip to main content
Topic: I finished my cup holder..... (Read 4763 times) previous topic - next topic

I finished my cup holder.....

I finally got my stuff in the mail. I wanted two, but,due to the size of the cup holders, I can't fit two of them, and with modern cups the size that they are, I figured one is sufficient. I need it more than anyone in the car. Driving a 5 speed, it's a challenge to hold a drink, and the passenger can hold their own drink. Anyway,I assembled the cup holder and installed it. It's a quick change back to stock with two screws ,as console car owners already know. There's actually still plenty of room in the console,which I never use for anything except a tire gauge anyway. What do you think?

'88 Sport--T-5,MGW shifter,Trick Flow R intake,Ed Curtis cam,Trick Flow heads,Scorpion rockers,75mm Accufab t-body,3G,mini starter,Taurus fan,BBK long tube headers,O/R H-Pipe, Flowamaster Super 44's, deep and deeper Cobra R wheels, Mass Air and 24's,8.8 with 3.73's,140 mph speedo,Mach 1 chin spoiler,SN-95 springs,CHE control arms,aluminum drive shaft and a lot more..

Reply #1
I like it
Fox-less at the moment

Reply #2
looks real good Vin.the only thing I am wondering is,dont you kinda have to reach back a bit,to reach the cup?
Never drive faster than your guardian angel can fly.
:birdsmily: :birdsmily: :birdsmily::birdsmily: 
  [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
:birdsmily: :birdsmily: :birdsmily::birdsmily:
1983 base model,1969 302 (originally a v6),upraded c5,currently 30,441 original miles.

Reply #3
cool cup holder. My console is always full of spare change. you should see the lincoln's console. must have 80 bucks worth in there. lol
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
***** Project "EVOLUTION" 1987 Cougar LS  & 1985 Cougar Convertible *****
[/COLOR]
5.0 HO 306 roller block, machined GT-40P heads, Wiseco dished forged pistons, Eagle forged floating I-beam connecting rods, Lunati pushrods, ARP bolts, Scorpion aluminum 1.6 rockers, Comp Cams Magnum 266HR, Explorer intake, 65mm TB, MAF Conversion, 19# injectors, Ford Racing stainless P-headers, 2-1/2" cat-less exhaust w/ Flowtech Afterburner lers , SC AOD with 2800 BDR torque converter, 3.73 T-Lok rear, CHE rear control arms, full 2-1/2" frame w/1" jacking rails & seat supports, Rear disk brakes, Turbine wheels, All original interior w/ floor shift upgrade .......
Pretty much every panel on my 87 is new, rebuilt, or re constructed. :D
Join us on Facebook

Reply #4
i see someone stuffin an elbow thu their cup on a hard 1-2 shift :hick:
gumby - beauty may fade, but stupid is forever!

Reply #5
Ummmm, I usually have my arm there............
...and there was light!

Reply #6
could double as an elbow holder.  :rollin:
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
***** Project "EVOLUTION" 1987 Cougar LS  & 1985 Cougar Convertible *****
[/COLOR]
5.0 HO 306 roller block, machined GT-40P heads, Wiseco dished forged pistons, Eagle forged floating I-beam connecting rods, Lunati pushrods, ARP bolts, Scorpion aluminum 1.6 rockers, Comp Cams Magnum 266HR, Explorer intake, 65mm TB, MAF Conversion, 19# injectors, Ford Racing stainless P-headers, 2-1/2" cat-less exhaust w/ Flowtech Afterburner lers , SC AOD with 2800 BDR torque converter, 3.73 T-Lok rear, CHE rear control arms, full 2-1/2" frame w/1" jacking rails & seat supports, Rear disk brakes, Turbine wheels, All original interior w/ floor shift upgrade .......
Pretty much every panel on my 87 is new, rebuilt, or re constructed. :D
Join us on Facebook

Reply #7
My MegaSquirt relay board resides under there.  Not the best place for me to put a drink ;)
Long live the 4-eyes!  - '83 Tbird Turbo

Reply #8
Well,I tested it with an empty glass,and grabbing the glass was comfortable,and not an issue.Rarely do I need to carry a drink,but when I do,nowhere to put it,so,the new lid.Shifting with a cup there is also not a problem.I like it so far. If I change my mind one day,I'll remove two screws and replace it with the stocker.Easy stuff.It's different,and in my own opinion,it doesn't look out of place or an eyesore.

Jerry,for coins,I always carry a bank bag on the outer side of the driver seat in the floor.Out of the way,and doesn't move.Like you,it has some value in it.LOL.
'88 Sport--T-5,MGW shifter,Trick Flow R intake,Ed Curtis cam,Trick Flow heads,Scorpion rockers,75mm Accufab t-body,3G,mini starter,Taurus fan,BBK long tube headers,O/R H-Pipe, Flowamaster Super 44's, deep and deeper Cobra R wheels, Mass Air and 24's,8.8 with 3.73's,140 mph speedo,Mach 1 chin spoiler,SN-95 springs,CHE control arms,aluminum drive shaft and a lot more..

Reply #9
Quote from: T-BirdX3;332213
Ummmm, I usually have my arm there............

I usually have my hand resting on the pistol grip shifter or the steering wheel.

Reply #10
Eh, relocate the window, mirror, and seat controls and fabricate a new center console. That's what I'd do anyways...

I don't drive this car while eating/drinking so a cupholder isn't needed - plus I always use things with solid lids and just toss them into the back seat.

Looks functional and I agree it's easy to revert but I'm not fond of the center console in the first place so creating one from scratch would be my ideal situation. I may do that at some point down the road, moving the window controls to the shifter plate and the mirrors to the door, seat controls to the sides of the seats or on the door. Easy to do and can be reliably done with some simple electrical engineering without the need to run additional large-gauge wire everywhere (so you can go back to stock if you'd like too). Oh how I dislike the center console's lack of efficiency. I guess the same can be said about the center dash also...
1988 Thunderbird Sport

Reply #11
I like the console as it is for the most part.Just the lack of a cup holder....which,for my Sport,I have figured out for now. I may get tired of it.I may not.Time will tell.I am now on to other projects....  By the end of the month,I hope to have the windows tinted,a/c working,and a plan on getting the sound deadener purchased.After that,recover the seats.After that........well,I can't see that far.

Reply #12
These cars don't have cup holders because you're not suppose to have drinks in the car;)
88 Thunderbird LX: 306, Edelbrock Performer heads, Comp 266HR cam, Edelbrock Performer RPM intake, bunch of other stuff.

Reply #13
Quote from: vinnietbird;332234
plan on getting the sound deadener purchased

Did I miss something?

I was let down by the lot of deadener I installed. All my noise comes from the window areas and top of the doors. I could barely perceive a difference and this was with multiple layers of butyl mass loading, plus NBR/PVC barrier sheeting. Removing the stock deadener, I'm sure this stuff would work as well and be much lighter, but I left the stock stuff intact and noticed next to no improvement. I didn't do the roof but I did the sides, floor, and rear deck/behind the rear seat. I had so much deadener on these spots that when trying to reinstall the bottom of my rear seat, I bent the metal and now I can't get it bent back to reinstall properly. I've added like over 1/2 an inch of mass and barrier deadening around the vehicle. Plus it took me like 4 entire days, dawn to dusk, to properly install it all. I did the sides and rear seat area one weekend and posted pictures here but added more later as I figured I didn't do good enough of a job - it didn't improve...Waste of funds on non-go-faster stuff.

Yeah...I can't recommend the stuff unless you're removing all the stock deadening. I'm surprised that even the doors did well with just their factory padding and door panels.
1988 Thunderbird Sport

Reply #14
Quote from: thunderjet302;332236
These cars don't have cup holders because you're not suppose to have drinks in the car;)

Until I get the a/c finished,driving around with the temps outside at 105 plus means there IS a drink in the car.