Skip to main content
Topic: Champion Fiberglass, and the hoods they make...*Big update. Pictures 3/6/11* (Read 13279 times) previous topic - next topic

Champion Fiberglass, and the hoods they make...*Big update. Pictures 3/6/11*

Reply #30
Quote from: Aerocoupe;328753
These guys have one that is a bit more finished:

http://www.carhoods.com/

Scroll down on the left and select "83 - 93 Thunderbird" and you will find the 3" cowl hood.  A larger picture is here:

http://www.usbody.com/__Photo-Product-Views/A-Hood-Specs/T-Hoods/ttbh-83.htm

Darren

I spoke with another member of the forum about his hood from USbody/Carhoods, turns out it was a lot of work as well, for a much higher price.

They sure do post up a pretty picture though!
1983 Tbird with '03 Split Port V6 motor swap done! Headers, dual exhaust, 500CFM Edelbrock, 3G upgrade, Electric fan. 3.73 Gears and an FRPP Limited Slip. Five lug complete! 5-Speed conversion complete! Standalone Fuel Injection in progress...

Reply #31
Here's a pic of my buddy's car with the hood on.  Since this he's done a ton of prep work and a lot of fitting to it.

41 Dodge Luxury Liner Sedan
78 F-100 2wd flareside
84Turbo Coupe
84 Thunderbird Élan
85 Thunderbird 3.8
88 Turbo Coupe
88 Mustang GT
90 Stang LX 5.0 5spd
93 F-150 4x4 ext cab
96 Mustang GT
98 Mustang GT
99 SVT Cobra
06 Fusion SEL
14 Fusion Sport

Reply #32
I believe I purchased my hood from American Sports Car Design but it has been over 10 years ago.  I checked their website and they are no longer showing it which is a shame as the body shop commented on the fit and finish of the hood.  I just emailed them to see if they did have that hood at one time and if they still make it but just don't have it listed.

Darren

83 351W TKO'd T-Bird on the bottle

93 331 Mustang Coupe - 368 rwhp

Reply #33
Rick emailed me back and said they sped the mold some time ago due to slow sales.  He did recommend US Body Source which I listed above but it sounds like they are about as good as Champion as far a the fitment goes.  I do like how the hood is finished (or at least appears to be finished) on the underside of the US Body hood better than the Champion hood but that can be addressed by the body shop.  My American Sports Car Design hood was finished top and bottom which made the cost to paint it much less as I would have had the shop work over the underside had it not already been done.

Darren

Reply #34
Are you hiding pictures of your car anywhere on this site Darren?

Just fit the hood AGAIN, no dice, the  intake is too tall!! I either have to eliminate the EGR spacer, which will work for 2 years, then i have to come up with something, or go to solid motor mounts, which will suck. Probably end up doing both to get the back of the hood down far enough to sit flush...

I already trimmed 1/4" off the air cleaner.
1983 Tbird with '03 Split Port V6 motor swap done! Headers, dual exhaust, 500CFM Edelbrock, 3G upgrade, Electric fan. 3.73 Gears and an FRPP Limited Slip. Five lug complete! 5-Speed conversion complete! Standalone Fuel Injection in progress...

Reply #35
I have a few here and there but it is in the shop and in the lift so I cannot really get a good picture of it.  The hood is off and in another room in the shop so it would not get a good shot of that anyhow.  I am waiting very patiently for my opening to get the headers and X-Pipe built as the 3" cat back is already built and HPC coated.  I lost interest in the car for over five years and have just got back into it in the last year but its a slow road back.  The car was set up to drag race and be a street car and now I am moving it over to more of a street car with the corners in mind.  This is the best shot I have of it right now:

Darren

Reply #36
Just FYI, the US Body hood is not a true cowl hood...there is no rear inlet/hole for fresh air. It's completely sealed off. I suppose it could be modified to make it that way; as it is, it's pretty much for show and no actual performance benefit.

A few of us here have the US Body hood and like it. Fit/finish is pretty good. Typical pinholes in the fiberglass in various places; not to be unexpected. There is metal reinforcement where the hinges bolt on, and where the latch bolts up (for the Dominator hood; the lift-off hood is pin-on only). The completely finished underside is a big bonus. One thing about this hood that seems to separate it from other designs is that it doesn't have a pr0nounced crease down the middle of the hood...it's very subtle, and the rise in the cowl is precisely gradual.

I have recommended the U.S. Body hood for many years, at least since I bought mine in 2001. It's listed as a 4" rise but I've also seen it as a 3.5" rise. Either way, it easily clears a 302 with Cobra intake and 1" phenolic spacer, using stock motor mounts.

Reply #37
Quote from: EricCoolCats;328991
Just FYI, the US Body hood is not a true cowl hood...there is no rear inlet/hole for fresh air. It's completely sealed off. I suppose it could be modified to make it that way; as it is, it's pretty much for show and no actual performance benefit.

I noticed that myself. Thats why I am staying away from that one. This one definitely suits my fancy a little better.

But jrad, you're definitely starting to (unintentionally) talk me out of the split port swap... The lack of clearance with the modified intake... the lack of stock SC compatibility...:toilet:

Hey, btw, have you considered this as an intake option?
I know its not conventional, but it works and looks pretty cool.
And they're definitely shorter:D
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Low-Profile-Dual-Inlet-Carb-Hat-Air-Intake-Plenum-_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQhashZitem1c13cd7517QQitemZ120591316247QQptZMotorsQ5fCarQ5fTruckQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Spectre-Air-Intake-Plenum-98999-_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQhashZitem5ada96fb22QQitemZ390214384418QQptZMotorsQ5fCarQ5fTruckQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Spectre-98499-Single-4-Outlet-Air-Plenum-JEGS-_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQhashZitem5d29b69863QQitemZ400131790947
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/SPE-9824
--Steve
[thread=28690]1988 Cougar V6[/thread]
2012 F-150 3.7L
2011 Mustang 3.7L

Reply #38
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Low-Profile-Dual-Inlet-Carb-Hat-Air-Intake-Plenum-_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQhashZitem1c13cd7517QQitemZ120591316247QQptZMotorsQ5fCarQ5fTruckQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories

That is actually pretty similar to this:  http://www.summitracing.com/parts/HLY-64280/

Which is what I saw at the parts store, but is WAY to expensive($400 locally)... But the one you found isn't terrible, I would just have to fab up some CAI pipes into the fenders.

Oh come on Sarjxxx, when was anything easy ever very fun? But I don't believe I ever said this was an easy project... The supercharger could be done with a blow through carb and a centrifugal SC but I am not at that level yet, and I like the look of a roots style better. Supercharging on carb isn't easy period unless it's track only.

I think I'm going to look into some super slim solid motor mounts to see if I can get the clearance. Maybe it'll drop it plenty low enough for this hood. Without the EGR spacer, the top of the carb would probably be below the fenders anyway(But only just)

Anyway, just be glad someone else is walking in front of you at this point, so you can see whats coming.

Reply #39
Quote from: jrad235;329010
  I think I'm going to look into some super slim solid motor mounts to  see if I can get the clearance. Maybe it'll drop it plenty low enough  for this hood. Without the EGR spacer, the top of the carb would  probably be below the fenders anyway(But only just)
EGR spacer? dude, are you seriously that worried about mpgs? or is there  more to this
Quote from: jrad235;329010
Anyway, just be glad someone else is walking in front of you at this  point, so you can see whats coming.
SMACK!:brick:

(sry i had to):rollin:
--Steve
2012 F-150 3.7L
2011 Mustang 3.7L

Reply #40
Quote from: sarjxxx;329060
EGR spacer? dude, are you seriously that worried about mpgs? or is there  more to this

I don't know about you Floridians, but in the Portland Metro area we still have to pass emissions.
last time I asked, they told me my car had to pass emissions set for the largest engine ever installed from the factory in that vehicle, I.E. A CFI/TBI 302.

EGR spacer in this case means a spacer under the carb with a pipe to allow exhaust gas to flow in.

SMACK!:brick:

(sry i had to):rollin:

Not sure I get that one....

Reply #41
oh...yeah..right...the best thing about living in the rainshine state! No cats for me!!!
--Steve
2012 F-150 3.7L
2011 Mustang 3.7L

Reply #42
Quote from: sarjxxx;329094
oh...yeah..right...

:brick: 
Turnabout's fair play!!

Reply #43
So, I figured a couple of you would like an update on this....

Still waiting to get time in the shop to make drop mounts for the engine, hopefully here in the next couple weeks though. Included are pictures of my current air cleaner height, and one while test fitting the hood with the "new" air cleaner. The rear(Towards the windshield) bolt holes don't match the hinge, but I'll either slot the hinge hole or delete them and use pins so I can get the back of the hood even with the fenders.

Also, the picture of the air cleaner is level across the fenders, and Sarjxxx, you'll probably just need a set of ChuckW's mounts if you go this route.

Reply #44
Idk, I think I'm definitely going to use one of the type I showed you. Plus, I won't be having the EGR spacer either, so that should save me some room too. I think between those two differences, that might be just barely enough to clear the stock hood. And if not, I have planned on putting a 3" cowl hood on anyway, and that should give plenty of room.

I've seen that small air cleaner before too. I've always kinda wondered about their efficiency on a big motors, but on our 232's, it looks like they would provide plenty of air flow. Are you going to stick with it?

Oh, and what is the advantage to Chuck's mounts?
--Steve
2012 F-150 3.7L
2011 Mustang 3.7L