Skip to main content
Topic: Champion Fiberglass, and the hoods they make...*Big update. Pictures 3/6/11* (Read 13290 times) previous topic - next topic

Champion Fiberglass, and the hoods they make...*Big update. Pictures 3/6/11*

Reply #15
Eric are your autometer gauges mech. or electronic
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
'88 cougar 331 supercharged build in progress
'95 Blazer solid axle swapped 4X4- daily driver

Reply #16
Quote from: supercharged88;327841
Eric are your autometer gauges mech. or electronic

...Nice Hijack....

Anyways, I test fit the hood today, and the hinge holes almost line up, I think I'll just hog out the bottom hole a little bit, and the hood is maybe a 1/4" narrower overall than the original, at least in the "back" by the windshield, so I'm considering just adding a little filler along the edge to shrink the gap. 

I have to come up with a different air cleaner, as I'm about 1.5-2" away from being able to fully close the hood. Really don't want to have to mill down the intake, and I think dropping the engine is too much work, but perhaps. Anyone know anything about drop mounts for a V6?  Probably don't want solid, but maybe.

- Currently running a 1.75" drop housed 3" H x 14" Dia. K&N.
 I could take out the 1" spacer between the carb and the filter housing, but the throttle arm/cable would interfere with the housing I believe. Also doesn't look like I can get anything more than a 2" drop.

NOTE! Most of you will NOT have this problem, I just have a super tall custom intake manifold...

Otherwise hood looked real nice.
1983 Tbird with '03 Split Port V6 motor swap done! Headers, dual exhaust, 500CFM Edelbrock, 3G upgrade, Electric fan. 3.73 Gears and an FRPP Limited Slip. Five lug complete! 5-Speed conversion complete! Standalone Fuel Injection in progress...

Reply #17
Yeh sorry lol
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
'88 cougar 331 supercharged build in progress
'95 Blazer solid axle swapped 4X4- daily driver

Reply #18
I would highly recommend hood pins with that hood.  A friend of mine has one on his 88 Cougar.  The hood latch/catch mechanism started to get weak and crack after about 6 months.
41 Dodge Luxury Liner Sedan
78 F-100 2wd flareside
84Turbo Coupe
84 Thunderbird Élan
85 Thunderbird 3.8
88 Turbo Coupe
88 Mustang GT
90 Stang LX 5.0 5spd
93 F-150 4x4 ext cab
96 Mustang GT
98 Mustang GT
99 SVT Cobra
06 Fusion SEL
14 Fusion Sport

Reply #19
I can't really speak on my behalf, but I've seen quite a few people complain about Champion's fitment, moldings, and overall quality. I almost ordered one from them, but when it comes to our cars - we don't really have a whole ton of options. Can't complain if it fits well, though. Nice.
88 Camaro RS - 355/TH350
87 Thunderbird Sport - 302 (351 going in)/AOD

Reply #20
Quote from: jandmmustangs;327916
I would highly recommend hood pins with that hood.  A friend of mine has one on his 88 Cougar.  The hood latch/catch mechanism started to get weak and crack after about 6 months.

Yep already planned on it, just need to pick a set to order, I was thinking locking ones. Thanks for the heads up though.
1983 Tbird with '03 Split Port V6 motor swap done! Headers, dual exhaust, 500CFM Edelbrock, 3G upgrade, Electric fan. 3.73 Gears and an FRPP Limited Slip. Five lug complete! 5-Speed conversion complete! Standalone Fuel Injection in progress...

Do you have a phone # or web site?

Reply #21

Do you have a phone # or web site? for Champion

Reply #22

That's because at highway speeds it most likely flexes.  In fact, I'll bet it flexed enough that it could be seen by the driver while in the car.
-- 05 Mustang GT-Whipplecharged !!
--87 5.0 Trick Flow Heads & Intake - Custom Cam - Many other goodies...3100Lbs...Low12's!

Reply #23
Quote from: V8Demon;328089
That's because at highway speeds it most likely flexes.  In fact, I'll bet it flexed enough that it could be seen by the driver while in the car.

This, plus the hood seemed a little thin and light.  But really, what other choice is there.  Now if ya wanna talk difficult glass hood to find, try one with a T-Bolt teardrop for a 80 Fairmont.

Here's a link to the site for the guy that asked. 

http://www.championhoods.com/

1-888-416-6276
1-513-531-6640
41 Dodge Luxury Liner Sedan
78 F-100 2wd flareside
84Turbo Coupe
84 Thunderbird Élan
85 Thunderbird 3.8
88 Turbo Coupe
88 Mustang GT
90 Stang LX 5.0 5spd
93 F-150 4x4 ext cab
96 Mustang GT
98 Mustang GT
99 SVT Cobra
06 Fusion SEL
14 Fusion Sport

Reply #24
Small update: I think I've decided against locking pins alone, heard a couple horror stories of the pins shearing at speed, and if you look at them, you can see how.  I did get it test fitted, and I picked up an Edelbrock Pro Flo 1002 air cleaner assembly (A little more low profile) and the hood ALMOST(Not even a quarter inch left!) closed, but I need to trim a bit off the base of the cleaner to get it to fit without hitting, and it looks like the hinges may rub a bit, so I'll need to adjust/modify those to clear and get the hood flat with the fenders since a fiberglass hood is thicker than steel.

So, definitely not "Bolt on and go" but not terrible. And from what I hear, that's about the norm for hoods to fit our cars, no matter the manufacturer. Sorry, I was too busy figuring out ways to make it fit to snap pictures while fitting it, as I have to put the old hood back on each time.(No garage) 

I was thinking about drop motor mounts at this point, if anyone has any ideas, that would be great.

P.S. I did PM Mr. Kentucky(Fastlad) with the contact info....

Reply #25
fyi - Champion told me their parts were not suitable for street use.
#1 (left): undergoing top-to-bottom rebuild     
#2 (right): DD, power everything (sorta)
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Reply #26
Quote from: t3skidoo;328530
fyi - Champion told me their parts were not suitable for street use.

I'm not exactly sure why you mentioned this, 40 or 140MPH, it will still hold together, and it all depends on how much prep work you want to do as far as looks go. If you look real close, all the manufacturers say that since none of these hoods have been crash tested. It's a Federal law workaround.

Reply #27
Quote from: jrad235;328579
I'm not exactly sure why you mentioned this...

I remembered when you mentioned hood pins.  Not trying to be a party pooper, just telling you what they told me.  Forewarned is fore-armed.
#1 (left): undergoing top-to-bottom rebuild     
#2 (right): DD, power everything (sorta)
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Reply #28
Quote from: t3skidoo;328587
I remembered when you mentioned hood pins.  Not trying to be a party pooper, just telling you what they told me.  Forewarned is fore-armed.

Oooh! Gotcha. I am going to use hood pins, but mostly the standard kind, not locking by themselves. the locking ones are not nearly as strong as the standard ones.

Reply #29
These guys have one that is a bit more finished:

http://www.carhoods.com/

Scroll down on the left and select "83 - 93 Thunderbird" and you will find the 3" cowl hood.  A larger picture is here:

http://www.usbody.com/__Photo-Product-Views/A-Hood-Specs/T-Hoods/ttbh-83.htm

Darren

83 351W TKO'd T-Bird on the bottle

93 331 Mustang Coupe - 368 rwhp