Skip to main content
Topic: My new dash panel...... (Read 6061 times) previous topic - next topic

My new dash panel......

I was wanting to install my push to start button and had no idea where.I didn't want to move the clock,or take that spot.I didn't want to drill any holes in the dash panels,and I wanted it to look factory (as much as i can).This is what I came up with.It's the lower right dash panel next to the right side of the steering column.I pulled the panel from a TC and made the backing plate from a s dash piece.I had a friend make the "push to start" badge.As most of you know,I like the Sport to be different,yet subtle.Honest opinions,what do you guys think?

'88 Sport--T-5,MGW shifter,Trick Flow R intake,Ed Curtis cam,Trick Flow heads,Scorpion rockers,75mm Accufab t-body,3G,mini starter,Taurus fan,BBK long tube headers,O/R H-Pipe, Flowamaster Super 44's, deep and deeper Cobra R wheels, Mass Air and 24's,8.8 with 3.73's,140 mph speedo,Mach 1 chin spoiler,SN-95 springs,CHE control arms,aluminum drive shaft and a lot more..

My new dash panel......

Reply #1
I'll install the wiring and relay as soon as I have the time to do so.
'88 Sport--T-5,MGW shifter,Trick Flow R intake,Ed Curtis cam,Trick Flow heads,Scorpion rockers,75mm Accufab t-body,3G,mini starter,Taurus fan,BBK long tube headers,O/R H-Pipe, Flowamaster Super 44's, deep and deeper Cobra R wheels, Mass Air and 24's,8.8 with 3.73's,140 mph speedo,Mach 1 chin spoiler,SN-95 springs,CHE control arms,aluminum drive shaft and a lot more..

My new dash panel......

Reply #2
I think it looks good vinnie. My dad used to have a 71 lincoln that he installed a push to start in it. Again, thumbs up.

What the wiring consist of? How do you make it work?

My new dash panel......

Reply #3
I haven't really got into it yet.There are 4 or 5 wires and a relay.I'll let you know where they go as soon as I know for sure.I have the instructions in my small parts box.

My new dash panel......

Reply #4
There you go, stealing all my good ideas again. ;) JK
Looks like it belongs there if you ask me. Good job Vin.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
***** Project "EVOLUTION" 1987 Cougar LS  & 1985 Cougar Convertible *****
[/COLOR]
5.0 HO 306 roller block, machined GT-40P heads, Wiseco dished forged pistons, Eagle forged floating I-beam connecting rods, Lunati pushrods, ARP bolts, Scorpion aluminum 1.6 rockers, Comp Cams Magnum 266HR, Explorer intake, 65mm TB, MAF Conversion, 19# injectors, Ford Racing stainless P-headers, 2-1/2" cat-less exhaust w/ Flowtech Afterburner lers , SC AOD with 2800 BDR torque converter, 3.73 T-Lok rear, CHE rear control arms, full 2-1/2" frame w/1" jacking rails & seat supports, Rear disk brakes, Turbine wheels, All original interior w/ floor shift upgrade .......
Pretty much every panel on my 87 is new, rebuilt, or re constructed. :D
Join us on Facebook

My new dash panel......

Reply #5
Looks good but I'd change the label to something else, like
'emergency rocket boost'
or
'passenger eject'
#1 (left): undergoing top-to-bottom rebuild     
#2 (right): DD, power everything (sorta)
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

My new dash panel......

Reply #6
I dont think you could have found a better place to put it, and the label looks great too

My new dash panel......

Reply #7
Gah! Another thing I wanted to do stolen right out of under me!!! !

My new dash panel......

Reply #8
Looks great Vinnie!

My uncle used to use push buttons on all his old cars. One for the ignition, one for the wipers, one for the radio power, and so on...he didn't have the patience to actually fix the problems, but man, could he ever find the patience to wire in a push button LOL.

My new dash panel......

Reply #9
Thanks guys.I had thought of different  wording for the little "push to start" label,but,in the long run,I wanted a factory feel to it.Either way,if I change my mind some day,I can change it in about 30 seconds.Nothing to it.

Jerry (daminc),I have a little panel like that for you.I found it when I found mine.It was shipped with the keys and locks.

As far as stealing ideas,NOT !!! LOL  (I know you guys were kidding........).I try to be original,and do a lot of things that will be unique to my Sport alone.I go out of my way not to copy.I appreciate the input,and welcome any more that may be given.Once I install it,I'll let you guys know how it turns out,and I'll grab some pics,also,when my son's camera gets back from being repaired,I'll make a short video of the button in action.

Some of the buton ideas I had were....

-Atomic batteries to power
-Go-Go button
-Grumble or Rumble button
-Do you feel lucky
-On your mark,Get set,PUSH
-Love button
-Click here
-For a good time...Push Here

That's a few.Yes,I put thought into it.LOL.
-

My new dash panel......

Reply #10
How about:
"Engage warp drive"
"The fun starts here"
"Push me, I dare you"

My new dash panel......

Reply #11
"Ludicrous Speed!"
1979 Ford Fairmont
[/B]
5.0L/4R70W/8.8"/5-lug/3" Exhuast

My new dash panel......

Reply #12
I like it. Couldn't you just fuse it and use a wire on the solenoid? Thats how I start my car when I'm working on it. Thats way it won't try to start without the key on as well.
Quote from: jcassity
I honestly dont think you could exceed the cost of a new car buy installing new *stock* parts everywhere in your coug our tbird. Its just plain impossible. You could revamp the entire drivetrain/engine/suspenstion and still come out ahead.
Hooligans! 
1988 Crown Vic wagon. 120K California car. Wifes grocery getter. (junked)
1987 Ford Thunderbird LX. 5.0. s.o., sn-95 t-5 and an f-150 clutch. Driven daily and going strong.
1986 cougar.
lilsammywasapunkrocker@yahoo.com

My new dash panel......

Reply #13
Maybe.I don't know.I'll try to stick to the instructions.They look pretty detailed.I want it "right".

My new dash panel......

Reply #14
Fair enough. I wouldn't blame you at all there.
Quote from: jcassity
I honestly dont think you could exceed the cost of a new car buy installing new *stock* parts everywhere in your coug our tbird. Its just plain impossible. You could revamp the entire drivetrain/engine/suspenstion and still come out ahead.
Hooligans! 
1988 Crown Vic wagon. 120K California car. Wifes grocery getter. (junked)
1987 Ford Thunderbird LX. 5.0. s.o., sn-95 t-5 and an f-150 clutch. Driven daily and going strong.
1986 cougar.
lilsammywasapunkrocker@yahoo.com