Skip to main content
Topic: Tough Choices!!!! (Read 3282 times) previous topic - next topic

Tough Choices!!!!

Well it seems like the deal on the 90 lincoln Mark VII is falling through, guy never got the title in his name. Its been like 2 weeks with no reply so I am pretty much giving up on that. Now I have found 2 more cars which I would like to look at I'll let you guys decide. I'm leaning towards the 2nd one though :)

Number 1

Number 2

edit: who would have thought buying a car would be so hard, I have probably been waiting for like 2 months now, the first car i wanted was an 88 turbo coupe, but the guy didnt seem to want to tell us that it had been in an accident, my dads friend felt the bondo on the inner fender, and when we set up a date to go have it looked at by a mechanic the guy never showed. needless to say the car still sits in his driveway he is asking 3000 for it and will never ever get that much. Now this lincoln the guy never got the title in his name so we sent it back so he could do that and its been like 3 or 4 weeks with no response after numerous phone calls. Must be fate or destiny that I am now looking at another 85-86 bird.

Re: Tough Choices!!!!

Reply #1
You don't have to tell me about how hard it is to find a car. It took me two years to find my '87 Sport, which even then wasn't really what I was looking for (I wanted a Cougar), and then another two years to find my '88 5.0 T-Bird (which still wasn't the Turbo Coupe I was really after but in mint shape and under 50k miles I had to buy it). Now, having owned this car for 18 months I have been looking for a Turbo Coupe parts car the whole time with no luck.
2015 Mustang GT Premium - 5.0, 6-speed, Guard Green - too much awesome for one car

1988 5.0 Thunderbird :birdsmily: SOLD SEPT 11 2010: TC front clip/hood ♣ Body & paint completed Oct 2007 ♣ 3.55 TC rear end and front brakes ♣ TC interior ♣ CHE rear control arms (adjustable lowers) ♣ 2001 Bullitt springs ♣ Energy suspension poly busings ♣ Kenne Brown subframe connectors ♣ CWE engine mounts ♣ Thundercat sequential turn signals ♣ Explorer overhead console (temp/compass display) ♣ 2.25" off-road dual exhaust ♣ T-5 transmission swap completed Jan 2009 ♣

Reply #2
If it was me, i wont have hesitate on the 1st one....
1st one look better to me.... Fully loaded, leather and only 90k

The second one seem to already been in a crash.... (seems like Front-end or hood need to be adjusted) And it has a new motor from the s yard.... (hummmm I wonder why....)

Finally, the Ad said  :
..Turbo, 5spd, no winters.....

Is that spring melting snow on that pic or am i blind? :giggle: :giggle:
If you really think of the 2nd one, buy it carefully.... depend what you wanna do with it....

Reply #3
yea i know what you mean, but by no winters he probably meant that it wasnt driven in winter because the snow isnt the problem the salt is. They put so much salt on the roads around here that when the weather finally dries up you can actually see clouds of the salt above the road. I do like the first one also but it would be nice to only have to pay like 600 for a car.

Reply #4
My vote is for #1 :ies:
95 Ranger Splash 2.3
88 Tbird Sport :ies::ies:
5.0 SO, stainless shorty headers, w/ Magnaflow lers. KYB struts, KYB shocks. 5lug conversion from sn95 Mustang, subframe connectors, drilled and slotted rotors, 03 Mach 1 wheels. sequential taillights.140 speedo

Reply #5
Go test drive them both!  :slap:

That t-bird does look a bit miscolored though...but then again, saving a couple thousand never hurts!

I'd probably also consider the 5.0 vs 2.3t issue.

Let us know how it goes!  :cheers:
1984 Cougar Convertible
1988 Cougar XR-7

Reply #7
2000 Jaguar XK8 Convertible - 4.0L DOHC V8 (AJ27)
2018 Ford Explorer - 3.5L DOHC V6 (Duratec 35)
1999 Mercury Grand Marquis - 4.6L SOHC V8 (Modular)
1987 Mercury Cougar LS - 5.0L V8 (Windsor) [SOLD in 2009]

Reply #8
If the tc is rust free like it should from never being winter driven and there are no obvious signes of an accident I would go for #2 just think of what you could do with that extra $1800 you saved on it!  :grinno: but ultimately its your decision. Test drive both of them, drive 'em like you stole them, hard on the gas then hard on the brake. Parking lots are nice, you can tell a fair bit about a car by the sounds it makes when you beat on it  :evilgrin: I've lowered my asking price before when people have found "onknown" noises while driving :hick:
1980 birds X 3, 1982 bird, 1984 XR7, 1988 TC

Reply #9
if you think just letting a car hang out in snow all winter isn't a problem, you should have taken a look at my sports engine after it just sat most of the winter in the snow. Just ask Bill (MerCoug302) who asked me if it rained rust up here.

Now I love my turbo coupes, but something just looks really off abour the front end of that car. And since autotrader uses terrible "larger images" I think you'd really have to go look at it to see what the problem is.

Check em both out, take em for test drives, and see what's what.

Reply #10
Quote from: crystal

Check em both out, take em for test drives, and see what's what.

Agreed.

We all know my choice
(<----owns 3 2.3T vehicles...)
Long live the 4-eyes!  - '83 Tbird Turbo

Reply #11
Oh yeah, get #1, then you can be like 10,000 other people on the message board.  :shakehead

After a drive you should be able to tell which is in better shape.  If the T-bird indeed had been wrecked then avoid it like the plague.  On the same token, though, I can't see paying $2,500 for that color red  :shoothead

Reply #12
You gotta be cool like me, and get the two tone :)
2000 Jaguar XK8 Convertible - 4.0L DOHC V8 (AJ27)
2018 Ford Explorer - 3.5L DOHC V6 (Duratec 35)
1999 Mercury Grand Marquis - 4.6L SOHC V8 (Modular)
1987 Mercury Cougar LS - 5.0L V8 (Windsor) [SOLD in 2009]

Reply #13
Oh u used to be cool like you, those were the days.

Reply #14
You're REALLY making me want to visit my relatives in the Lockport area with pics like that, '86.

The scenery is so much different down here, with the green all year and palm trees everywhere. I like it, and I like being able to plant stuff that'll look good all year, but every once in awhile I like to see northern climates. Been like over a decade since I was up there in that area.