Skip to main content
Topic: Diagnostic tester? (Read 3059 times) previous topic - next topic

Diagnostic tester?

How good do those Diagnostic testers work? I was thinking of purchasing one if they work well, because it would come along handy in the future. Where could I buy one at for a reasonable price?
Thanks.

Re: Diagnostic tester?

Reply #1
I got one at Wal Mart for $25.  It has an LED light that blinks and it also has an audible tone.  You count the flashes/beeps to get the error codes.  Then you look up what the code means in the book that comes with the tester.  They work well.  I used it to help track down a problem with my car not starting when the engine was warmed up.  The code scanner told me that the PIP sensor was bad.  I replaced it and the problem was fixed.  There are also more expensive scanners available that have an LCD readout and such, but those are not really necessary.
-Jim
1987 Cougar LS 5.0

Reply #2
yea, im not looking to spend an outrages amount on one, i just want one that will pull out some codes, and i'll looking it up on the book, and fix it. Thanks for the reply.

Reply #3
Hummmmm if 25$ is to much, sell your car.... :giggle:

At CanadianTire.ca, you can buy :

Ford EEC-IV/MCU Decoder

39.99$CAN

Reply #4
Or just use a 2-inch piece of wire and the "Check engine" light.
(bottom of http://www3.telus.net/neat/eec4.html  )
I keep a piece in my glve box.
Cost: about $0.01
Death awaits you all with nasty, big, pointy teeth.

1988 5.0 Bird, mostly stock, partly not, now gone to T-Bird heaven.
1990 Volvo 740GL. 114 tire-shredding horsies, baby!

Reply #5
Or just use a 2-inch piece of wire and the "Check engine" light.

http://www.foxtbirdcougarforums.com/showthread.php?t=384

I keep a piece in my glove box.
Cost: about $0.01

Reply #6
The wire method (I put a couple blade connectors on mine, just for kicks) works pretty well.. only took me two tries to get it right, I think. If I can do it while I'm in this screwy sleep-change thing, I'd think most people could do it.

Reply #7
Dude i never said $25 was too much? .I was just stating that I don't wanna spend an outrages amount like 400 bucks on one.

Reply #8
:giggle: :giggle:

I was kidding.... :slap:

It was just funny cuz you just replied that you dont want spend lot of money after he said you can get one for 25 bucks....

Reply #9
I use a $5 buttstuffog voltmeter from HF & a couple of home-made jumper wires to get codes from my '88.

Reply #10
I got one of those cheap scanners with the tone and light.  I tried it but I think I hooked it up in the wrong place. Can anyone show me exactly where?

Reply #11
It should be under the hood on the right side fender.....jusst look for a mess of wires. There are two parts to the wire harness. I think there is only one connector on the small on and 2 or 3 on the other. Shouldnt be too hard to find, They follow the shape of the plug in for the tester.
Quote from: jcassity
I honestly dont think you could exceed the cost of a new car buy installing new *stock* parts everywhere in your coug our tbird. Its just plain impossible. You could revamp the entire drivetrain/engine/suspenstion and still come out ahead.
Hooligans! 
1988 Crown Vic wagon. 120K California car. Wifes grocery getter. (junked)
1987 Ford Thunderbird LX. 5.0. s.o., sn-95 t-5 and an f-150 clutch. Driven daily and going strong.
1986 cougar.
lilsammywasapunkrocker@yahoo.com

Reply #13
Mine's on the left side near the rear of the engine compartment, hanging out from a bundle of wires. ('88 T-bird)

Reply #14
hanging out from a bundle of wires