Skip to main content
Topic: Take that new Bimmer and shove it...real luxury is a Box Panther! (Read 6708 times) previous topic - next topic

Take that new Bimmer and shove it...real luxury is a Box Panther!

XX

Thanks to the Show Me state, a bunch of Transtar Body-Tec, Rusfre, and as-obssessive-as-the-temperature-allows washing, should last me many years.
Will get a full GT40 setup when I have time, and the 3.27 axle will get a Trac-Lok.

Recently, driving around blasting the theme from Fletch with the sub cranked makes it just perfect.

At least two people at work thought it was a 1970-something and were thus blown away to see it start on its own as we walked towards it. This winter, that remote starter was amazing. Been sitting around for over a year, can't believe I didn't install it sooner...
1987 20th Anniversary Cougar, 302 "5.0" GT-40 heads (F3ZE '93 Cobra) and TMoss Ported H.O. intake, H.O. camshaft
2.5" Duals, no cats, Flowmaster 40s, Richmond 3.73s w/ Trac-Lok, maxed out Baumann shift kit, 3000 RPM Dirty Dog non-lock TC
Aside from the Mustang crinkle headers, still looks like it's only 150 HP...
1988 Black XR7 Trick Flow top end, Tremec 3550
1988 Black XR7 Procharger P600B intercooled, Edelbrock Performer non-RPM heads, GT40 intake AOD, 13 PSI @5000 RPM. 93 octane

Reply #1
I'd love to have a panther wagon. Or a two door Panther. Or, dare I say it: a two door Panther wagon (yes, I'm aware they don't exist, but being stuck in the house is playing with my head)
2015 Mustang GT Premium - 5.0, 6-speed, Guard Green - too much awesome for one car

1988 5.0 Thunderbird :birdsmily: SOLD SEPT 11 2010: TC front clip/hood ♣ Body & paint completed Oct 2007 ♣ 3.55 TC rear end and front brakes ♣ TC interior ♣ CHE rear control arms (adjustable lowers) ♣ 2001 Bullitt springs ♣ Energy suspension poly busings ♣ Kenne Brown subframe connectors ♣ CWE engine mounts ♣ Thundercat sequential turn signals ♣ Explorer overhead console (temp/compass display) ♣ 2.25" off-road dual exhaust ♣ T-5 transmission swap completed Jan 2009 ♣

Reply #2
Looks good with the later wheels on it ... classy still, but updated a bit.

cheers
Ed
84 Mustang SVO
95 Jaguar XJR

Reply #3
Im not that old, but I love a good hood emblem.  Helps keeps centered on the highway.

Always liked those cars, good job!
Mike

Reply #4
Quote from: Thunder Chicken;446318
I'd love to have a panther wagon. Or a two door Panther. Or, dare I say it: a two door Panther wagon (yes, I'm aware they don't exist, but being stuck in the house is playing with my head)

I don't want one bad enough (yet) but the two door Panthers just take it to the next level...
1987 20th Anniversary Cougar, 302 "5.0" GT-40 heads (F3ZE '93 Cobra) and TMoss Ported H.O. intake, H.O. camshaft
2.5" Duals, no cats, Flowmaster 40s, Richmond 3.73s w/ Trac-Lok, maxed out Baumann shift kit, 3000 RPM Dirty Dog non-lock TC
1988 Black XR7 Procharger P600B intercooled, Edelbrock Performer non-RPM heads, GT40 intake AOD, 13 PSI @5000 RPM. 93 octane

Reply #5
My ideal Panther is an '81 Town Car coupe, yes, those existed!!
Current: 1986 Thunderbird, 105k 3.8/C5, 2 tone  Midnight Wine/Medium Taupe, wing windows, wire wheel covers.

Former: 1985 Cougar GS 115k Oxford White/Regatta Blue, 5.0, full console, 14" 8 hole aluminum T-Bird rims, Edelbrock valve covers.

Reply #6
Id try out a 86-87 two door.

I actually liked my wagon, but it had lots less room then my fox, as far as driving position went.
Quote from: jcassity
I honestly dont think you could exceed the cost of a new car buy installing new *stock* parts everywhere in your coug our tbird. Its just plain impossible. You could revamp the entire drivetrain/engine/suspenstion and still come out ahead.
Hooligans! 
1988 Crown Vic wagon. 120K California car. Wifes grocery getter. (junked)
1987 Ford Thunderbird LX. 5.0. s.o., sn-95 t-5 and an f-150 clutch. Driven daily and going strong.
1986 cougar.
lilsammywasapunkrocker@yahoo.com

Reply #7
I almost bought an 83 Mark VI Pucci Edition 4 door, but it was in rough shape.
Current: 1986 Thunderbird, 105k 3.8/C5, 2 tone  Midnight Wine/Medium Taupe, wing windows, wire wheel covers.

Former: 1985 Cougar GS 115k Oxford White/Regatta Blue, 5.0, full console, 14" 8 hole aluminum T-Bird rims, Edelbrock valve covers.

Reply #8
You need centercaps yo.
88 Thunderbird LX: 306, Edelbrock Performer heads, Comp 266HR cam, Edelbrock Performer RPM intake, bunch of other stuff.

Reply #9
Niceeeeeee! Me likey... Didn't like them nearly as much when the corners were lopped off for '88, have to give it to the CV for looks on the later ones...

I had a '86 that I bought from my mom when she got a new '93, she'd had my uncle in WV order it and was one of the last '86 built... Never really thought about it till I had the hood open and it had 1987 plug wires and also found it had wedge base 3157 tail lamps instead of the 1157 listed in owners manual...

Reply #10
Now that's a sweet ride!  I was just telling my wife that I ought to sell my Silverado and buy a Panther for a daily (she just rolled her eyes).
'88 'bird, 10.9:1 306 w/TFS top end, forged rods/pistons, T-5 swap & bunch of other stuff, 1-family owned, had it since ‘98, 5.0tbrd88 on Instagram and YouTube

Reply #11
Quote from: thunderjet302;446335
You need centercaps yo.

........................They don't pin' fit over the spindle ends grumblegrumblegrumblegrumble :hick:

My aunt always asks my mom "why does Paul still drive those things, he has a new job when's he going to buy a newer, safer car?"
SAFE? Nah, no worries there, this car transfers ALL of the impact energy to the other vehicle. So their crumple points will do the work for me LOL

I'm thinking about plasti-dipping the vinyl roof the same color as the car or perhaps a little darker to see how it turns out. Maybe try and 'shop the pic first.
Tom  - definitely interesting point about the late build. It seems so bizzare, "new age" electronic-era components wrapped in such an ornate, aged, sloppily-manufactured package.

Reply #12
Quote from: ZondaC12;446348
........................They don't pin' fit over the spindle ends grumblegrumblegrumblegrumble :hick:

My aunt always asks my mom "why does Paul still drive those things, he has a new job when's he going to buy a newer, safer car?"
SAFE? Nah, no worries there, this car transfers ALL of the impact energy to the other vehicle. So their crumple points will do the work for me LOL

I'm thinking about plasti-dipping the vinyl roof the same color as the car or perhaps a little darker to see how it turns out. Maybe try and 'shop the pic first.
Tom  - definitely interesting point about the late build. It seems so bizzare, "new age" electronic-era components wrapped in such an ornate, aged, sloppily-manufactured package.

LOL, I remember now my mom being concerned that it may not get built, as I believe it was ordered in the last few days '86 could be submitted... My uncle reassured her "I have a VIN, it will be built"...

She was going to order a '87, but when my uncle called and said he'd just received a info package on those and there was hefty price increase with no real change in specs, she had him order a '86... It was a metallic burgundy color that I never much cared for but only had 45K mi and was garaged from day one, all but still new when I got it...

Last six consec of VIN is(was? It was still reg in '10) 704133 so St Thomas had taken 104132 orders for '86 Grand Marquis ahead of it...

[img]

Reply #13
Quote from: ZondaC12;446348
........................They don't pin' fit over the spindle ends grumblegrumblegrumblegrumble

Mark VII caps should fit.
-- 05 Mustang GT-Whipplecharged !!
--87 5.0 Trick Flow Heads & Intake - Custom Cam - Many other goodies...3100Lbs...Low12's!

Reply #14

That'scha keep-err! I will keep the eyes peeled for some.

And uh...wow MGM's were cheap??? Typical Cougars started at 15-16K right?