Skip to main content
Topic: Thunderbird Front Sway Bar ??'s (Read 1960 times) previous topic - next topic

Thunderbird Front Sway Bar ??'s

Hey all,

My Capri has all SVO suspension under it. It's pretty common for the SVO guys to use a TC front sway bar as an updrade to the stock 30 mm bar. I'm technically going the other way, I drag race my Capri but also street drive it. I dont want to run with NO front bar, but would like to shed some weight, and dont like to do a lot to flip the car at the track. So if the TC bar is a bolt in, I assume the base model bars will too.

So my question, can someone provide me with some diameters of the stock bars on base 6 cylinder cars of the various years? I assume they would be a lot smaller (and lighter) than the  TC or SVO bars, yet still provide some tie in up front. I donr believe the regular fox or SN95 bars will work for this as I've seen in some searches.

Thanks for any help. Based on the last pics, I dont need to free it up a lot, but would like to loose some weight if possible ;)

Bob Myers

Reply #1
I ran a 1.375" Mustang type front bar on my Thunderbird Sport, so I would think a 4cyl Mustang bar would be the smallest and work better on your car.
Just my opinion....

Reply #2
Quote from: Prototype Services;183993
I ran a 1.375" Mustang type front bar on my Thunderbird Sport,

Roughly speaking, the Fox mustang stuff as a baseling, the thundebirds are 1 1/4" wider in the front, and the SVO stuff is 2 1/2" wider in the front. So a Mustang bar on a T-Bird would be okay, but have too much end angle on the SVO stuff. Other have reportedly tried the normal Mustang stuff on a SVO and no workie.

Bob Myers

Reply #3
that car is amazing in person.
I guess you got a new turbo in!
RIP 1988 and 1990 Lincoln Mark VII LSC
I welcomed the dark side and currently am driving a 2000 Dodge Durango SLT plus, with a 5.9, Code named project "Night Runner"
Shes black on black, fully loaded, with headers, 180 tstat, e fan, straight exhaust into a cherry bomb vortex ler, full tune up, ported intake and T/B, MSD coil, and round aircleaner.
Mods to come: Fully rebuilt and heavily modded 46RE, and a richmond rachet locker.
my $300 beater ;)
R.I.P Kayleigh Raposa 12/18/90 - 2/24/07

Reply #4
Quote from: daboss351;184004
I guess you got a new turbo in!

Yeah, its been in for a while, the pass after the one pictures, I broke an axle, and I think the parts went through the carrier. I'm starting on my winter upgrades a little early ;)

Bob Myers

Reply #5
If it an't breaking, your not doing it right!
Good luck with it! Can't wait to see you race again, and hoping next year to run my lincoln and my stang!
I welcomed the dark side and currently am driving a 2000 Dodge Durango SLT plus, with a 5.9, Code named project "Night Runner"
Shes black on black, fully loaded, with headers, 180 tstat, e fan, straight exhaust into a cherry bomb vortex ler, full tune up, ported intake and T/B, MSD coil, and round aircleaner.
Mods to come: Fully rebuilt and heavily modded 46RE, and a richmond rachet locker.
my $300 beater ;)

Reply #6
Quote from: daboss351;184007
If it an't breaking, your not doing it right!
Good luck with it! Can't wait to see you race again, and hoping next year to run my lincoln and my stang!

Then I must be doing thing REAL right lately :D

Bring it all around, I am at the track every weekend, although I'm going to try and hit more races away from home next year. I am going to do three of the NMRA races, and as many of the UMTR races as I can hit (stick shift series). If I can go as rounds against these auto guys, I should be able to hold my own with other stick shift cars ;)

So, does anybody have any help for me with my original question? I geuss i'm going to have to hit a junkyard this weekend and start measuring.

Bob Myers

Reply #7
Quote from: martin0660;184190
Then I must be doing thing REAL right lately :D

Bring it all around, I am at the track every weekend, although I'm going to try and hit more races away from home next year. I am going to do three of the NMRA races, and as many of the UMTR races as I can hit (stick shift series). If I can go as rounds against these auto guys, I should be able to hold my own with other stick shift cars ;)

So, does anybody have any help for me with my original question? I geuss i'm going to have to hit a junkyard this weekend and start measuring.

Bob Myers

yea sorry for the hyjack. Hope to have the four speed, and new 4.11's in the stang, maybe a few other goodies, should be a blast.

Good luck with the capri!
my $300 beater ;)

Reply #8
Bob,
I have a size book here for bushings, but that doesn't mean they actually made bars in all those sizes. They do get pretty small (3/4"). Remember a hollow bar will weigh less then a solid bar, but it will also keep the nose stiffer. Might have to think about that when selecting one.
As for what to look out for, the 83-86's seem to be a TC with a TC bar, or just not have one (around here anyways). I'd try to find some V6 87-88 Birds/Cats as your starting point.

Reply #9
I run my T-bird with only the rear sway bar and I think it does just fine on the road.  I would recommend taking it off completely and see what you think.

TED

Reply #10
Quote from: Aerobird Motorsports;184246
They do get pretty small (3/4"). Remember a hollow bar will weigh less then a solid bar, but it will also keep the nose stiffer. Might have to think about that when selecting one.

I dont think there are any hollow T-Bird bars are there? I know the SN95's have them, but they will not work i'm being told. A 3/4" or less batr would be sweet,

Quote from: Cad-T-Bird 500;184279
I run my T-bird with only the rear sway bar and I think it does just fine on the road.  I would recommend taking it off completely and see what you think.

Its downright scarry without it. I drive this car a lot, and leave the skinnies on it a lot of times. I've driven some other guys cars without bars and they are tolerable, other guys cars a scarry as heck too. Its just not worth it to me to run without a bar, but I'm not corner carving with it, so a small bar should be okay.

Bob Myers

Reply #11
I know the base/LX V8 front sway bar is 1&1/8" in diameter. I know because I ordered bushings for mine:hick: . I think it's a bit smaller than the TC bar.
88 Thunderbird LX: 306, Edelbrock Performer heads, Comp 266HR cam, Edelbrock Performer RPM intake, bunch of other stuff.

Reply #12
Quote from: martin0660;184415
I dont think there are any hollow T-Bird bars are there? I know the SN95's have them, but they will not work i'm being told.

I could see the "earlier" sn95's working (i.e. 95-97 I think) seeing as they are still using the 5.0 motor and not the 4.6.
Temporarily Foxless? Ride the Bull...