Skip to main content
Topic: teves to vacuum assist, a few questions. (Read 1741 times) previous topic - next topic

teves to vacuum assist, a few questions.

so this is what i have
88 TC
recent sn95 5 lug conversion

i been having issues with the pump and tired of it. i lost abs when i swapped to 5 lug so the teves electro boost isnt needed anymore.

i going to convert to vacuum assist.

the more i read the more confused i get.
i concerned about front/rear bias.
i want a good pedal feel too.

so what i got was 99-04 master cylinder and proportioning valve. plus the lines between the two and some after the valve
also grabbed the twin piston calipers.
i have 94-98 mustang rear calipers and 96 mustang front calipers.
will this combo work with out issues?

i have a 88 sport vacuum booster i can use, but was going to try and get the booster out of the car i got the master and proportioning valve from. its gonna be a lil bit of work since the strut tower is int he way (front end hit 99 mustang in the u-pull-it yard) which is better the 99 stang booster or 88 sport?

anything else i should be aware of?

thanks!
Brian J Larkin
1988 Tbird Turbo Coupe
1989 Cougar XR7
1995  Ranger Splash

Reply #1
From what I read, I would go with the SVO booster or look at its bore and specs and see which of the two you have is close to it.

This is the article I reference when some one talks about this:

http://www.turbotbird.com/techinfo/Convert_ABS_to_Vacuum.doc
88 Turbocoupe: Coast High Performance 331 kit 28oz balance, Comp XE264HR14 cam, 58cc 185 afr heads, 1.7 roller rockers, Mass-Flo EFI (was POS to setup and their techline is a joke at best)
Full 1 5/8 primary equal length headers, 2 1/2 exhaust, Full manual reverse VB c4 and baked off clear coat "BECAUSE RACECAR"

Reply #2
For what it's worth, we always used the 5.0 Fox Mustang boosters. They are smaller around than the Tbird ones, allowing room for the clutch cable to run. :D

On my Sport I'm using the stock Tbird booster w/ a 1" bore sn95 master cylinder and adjustable porportioning valve.
95 Ranger Splash 2.3
88 Tbird Sport :ies::ies:
5.0 SO, stainless shorty headers, w/ Magnaflow lers. KYB struts, KYB shocks. 5lug conversion from sn95 Mustang, subframe connectors, drilled and slotted rotors, 03 Mach 1 wheels. sequential taillights.140 speedo

Reply #3
I have a SN95 v6 brake booster, master cylinder and proportioning valve on my TC.  I forget what year (maybe 98). 

I was able to get it to fit without denting the strut tower.  But I had to make sure and drill extra large holes for the booster studs through the firewall.  The sn95 booster is a different bolt patern, so you need to make a template and drill new and enlarge existing holes.

I still have stock TC brakes front and rear, but plan to swap to Cobra 13" front brakes and lincoln rear brakes when I swap to 5 lug.  Right now my brake pedal feel is stock.  I hope to get a stiffer feeling after my brakes swap.

Reply #4
The 1-1/8" bore SVO MC would be a bit big. The pedal will be rock hard, with no modulation. Something with a 1" bore would be better, or even a stock SN-95 MC would be a good choice.  I wouldn't mess with the stock prop valve from the Mustang, and just go with an adjustable one.  The balance and weight distribution on your car is not the same as that of a SN-95.

My Scorpio has the same set-up, and when I swapped it to Vette brakes, I kept the rest of the stock plumbing in place.  Even with the front ABS disconnected, the brakes feel great, and the pedal feels awesome every time.  I had to swap out the pump assy a while back (had a spare), but I would probably do the same again if this one fails.
Long live the 4-eyes!  - '83 Tbird Turbo

Reply #5
I used a 87 mustang booster and master with the Tc prop valve and pedal was mushy and faded not sure if it was the set up or a bad rebuild on the master. Redid the set up stayed with the 87 gt booster and used a 93 cobra 15/16 master and a adjustable prop valve and looooove the feel of the brakes firm pedal with little travel and no fade. Cant wait till I put the Cobra 13" brakes on this winter with a little more stoping power.
Good luck
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]:ford:87 Turbo Coupe through the floor sub frame connectors, 5.8 swap Ford racing heads Harland sharp 1.6 rockers BBK shorty swap headers 2 1/2 BBk X pipe magnaflow ler's. Megasquirt 2 with 36lbs injectors on hurricane intake with 4150 throttle body.Tremec TKO 600 Quicktime blowsheild spec stage 3 clutch. 3.73 gears and still not done

Reply #6
The 1998 Mustang has about a 56/44 weight distribution and weighs approx 3,400 lbs depending on the options.  The 1988 Thunderbird Turbo Coupe has about the same weight distribution and weighs 3,400 lbs.  So thats why I stuck with the sn95 proportioning valve.

An adjustable PV gives you more control, but may not be necessary.