Skip to main content
Topic: Turbo coupe spring hight (Read 16406 times) previous topic - next topic

Turbo coupe spring hight

Fox bird springs might be all the same hight I'm sure TC ones have different rates but I'm looking for the hight of the stock springs I want to compare them to some lowering springs I have laying  around

Turbo coupe spring hight

Reply #1
I can get the numbers you need in the AM, if someone else doesn't before then. I've also got a set of Sport springs if you want those measurements as well...

Although I think you're on the right track in the height being near equal, the TC units have a slightly higher rate than the 3.8 versions. I think Sport springs are probably nearly identical to the TC springs though.

Chuck W could probably recite from memory the exact data lol.
'84 Mustang
'98 Explorer 5.0
'03 Focus, dropped a valve seat. yay. freakin' split port engines...
'06 Explorer EB 4.6

Turbo coupe spring hight

Reply #2
Yea I know all the v8 v6 and 2.3 fox mustangs have different spring rates but are around the same length

I want to slam my bird but want stiffer than stock and cutting springs jacks up the rate

If I can get these mustang lowering springs to work with some new iso's I think it will look good and Handel a lot better

Turbo coupe spring hight

Reply #3
I like the look of sn-95 springs in the front. I've heard that they are prog ressive rate, but never looked into it.
Quote from: jcassity
I honestly dont think you could exceed the cost of a new car buy installing new *stock* parts everywhere in your coug our tbird. Its just plain impossible. You could revamp the entire drivetrain/engine/suspenstion and still come out ahead.
Hooligans! 
1988 Crown Vic wagon. 120K California car. Wifes grocery getter. (junked)
1987 Ford Thunderbird LX. 5.0. s.o., sn-95 t-5 and an f-150 clutch. Driven daily and going strong.
1986 cougar.
lilsammywasapunkrocker@yahoo.com

Turbo coupe spring hight

Reply #4
I've got springs from a '97 GT in mine. It came down about an inch, inch and half or so, ride is great. I don't believe cutting coils is a good idea, for one, like you said it screws with the rate and creates a horrid ride.

I'd think some springs from a 2000-something Stang GT would be just what you're looking for. If you really want to get down and dirty, either Mach 1 or Bullitt springs. One lowers more than the other, but I'm having a brain fart and can't remember which one.
'84 Mustang
'98 Explorer 5.0
'03 Focus, dropped a valve seat. yay. freakin' split port engines...
'06 Explorer EB 4.6

Turbo coupe spring hight

Reply #5
Yea if I can't make these lowering springs work ill end up getting SN springs or somthin

I like to put cars in the weeds lol

Turbo coupe spring hight

Reply #6
I like mine a bit lower, but, I also like it highly functional. I do not want to have to slow down to a near stop to take a speed bump.
'88 Sport--T-5,MGW shifter,Trick Flow R intake,Ed Curtis cam,Trick Flow heads,Scorpion rockers,75mm Accufab t-body,3G,mini starter,Taurus fan,BBK long tube headers,O/R H-Pipe, Flowamaster Super 44's, deep and deeper Cobra R wheels, Mass Air and 24's,8.8 with 3.73's,140 mph speedo,Mach 1 chin spoiler,SN-95 springs,CHE control arms,aluminum drive shaft and a lot more..

Turbo coupe spring hight

Reply #7
So dose anyone have any they can measure the hight ?

Turbo coupe spring hight

Reply #8
Subbed because im interested in the topic..
I unfortunately dont have any measurements but so far I do have lil experience with this stuff.

I at first cut a full coil off my stock t bird springs and saw that it was way to low to drive basically everywhere. I rolled my fenders a lil bit and was able to get out of the driveway lol. At that point I had heard that stock v8 SN95 springs up front would lower my car and give it some decent handling as well. So I tossed out my original cut stockies for stock sn95s. I was extremely disappointed in how high it sat. Can be seen here https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-IbNtuc1jnng/UjTyGeAy1OI/AAAAAAAAMfU/WIlabkbOrAE/w1078-h809-no/IMAGE_251.jpeg

So I went and cut around 3/4 of a coil and ended up with a happy medium I guess. Its still a lil on the high side but not slammed enough to destroy my car on our py CT highways. I also put in new sway bar bushings, slightly used tokicos (Meant for a Fox Body), sway bar end links/bushings, and I didnt run any spring isolators.

Now I will say so far ill have both sides of the bushing mounts on the sway bar come loose and actually lost a bolt on both sides...so either I completely forgot to tighten up both sides which might be possible or the lowering may have affected it and I need to use shorter links??

On the highway when this car hits a bump it travels alot but doesnt continue bouncing..im not sure if its because maybe those slightly used shocks are more than slightly used or maybe they are okay and its just the fact that I cut the springs.

Once the spring hits im gonna try finding a set of lowering springs for a SN95 instead of this cut stock springs nonsense. I also heard that the fox springs are shorter than the SN95s so if you lower your turbo coupe id imagine youd be better of running Fox struts instead but maybe someone here has more knowledge on this.
88 Turbo Coupe 5 Speed..Full exhaust, K and N, Boost Controller

Turbo coupe spring hight

Reply #9
The lowering springs I have are out of a SN

I've seen menny pics of stock SN's in a bird I kinda want lower

Turbo coupe spring hight

Reply #10
Quote from: STANG8U;425136
The lowering springs I have are out of a SN

I've seen menny pics of stock SN's in a bird I kinda want lower

You and me both. I was wondering what would happen if we ran lowering springs meant for a sn95 ??

Turbo coupe spring hight

Reply #11
Well find out I just ordered isolators and need to get some tires for the ponys I picked up

Was kinda hoping someone had the hight of the stockers just for reference before I pull it apart

Turbo coupe spring hight

Reply #12
Quote from: STANG8U;425138
Well find out I just ordered isolators and need to get some tires for the ponys I picked up

Was kinda hoping someone had the hight of the stockers just for reference before I pull it apart

Wait what springs are you planning on running exactly with those isolators ? Also you know those isolators give u like an .50" extra lift. But at the same time cut down on noise.

Turbo coupe spring hight

Reply #13
I ordered isolators incase it's to low lol

Turbo coupe spring hight

Reply #14
Just took a quick guess over what I know buildings mustangs over the meny years these springs should drop the bird around 2" give and take how I do it seeing how stock SN slings drop a bird

2" is what I'm looking for ........ I already have a truck lol