Skip to main content
Topic: Celeron D 50% overclock (Read 3622 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Celeron D 50% overclock

Reply #15
Hey now I have a ti99/4a at home and I did use it when I was little. My favorite game was minner 49er. I also had several 8088's. I remeber building a 286 when I was 8 or 9. I built a 486 dx server a couple of months after that.(16mb of ram yeah) I have used dos all the was from pre-5.0 to what ever they call windows xp dos. oh yeah command promt. I have used windows 3.xx all the was to xp (which I also hate). I can do anything on the keyboard faster then most people can click in virtally any version of windows. I have played with older macs and even got kicked out of type class for wasting too much class time.(Cause I could type fast) Dont get me wrong but for my age I have been around the block a few times. And when I was 15 was only two or three years ago. What were you running two years ago? about the same?
*edit* I also have two 40 mb hard drives that I used to have windows 3.11 on.
Quote from: jcassity
I honestly dont think you could exceed the cost of a new car buy installing new *stock* parts everywhere in your coug our tbird. Its just plain impossible. You could revamp the entire drivetrain/engine/suspenstion and still come out ahead.
Hooligans! 
1988 Crown Vic wagon. 120K California car. Wifes grocery getter. (junked)
1987 Ford Thunderbird LX. 5.0. s.o., sn-95 t-5 and an f-150 clutch. Driven daily and going strong.
1986 cougar.
lilsammywasapunkrocker@yahoo.com

Reply #16
Curious to know your score in pc mark05 as it has strictor scoring.
Mine has about 1729 in 05 not sure of the 04 score but i know in 3d mark04 my score is much higher than 05.

Reply #17
Two years ago I was running a P-4 2.4GHz Dell laptop with 512MB RAM, 60GB HDD, 15" screen, 24X CD-R/DVD combo drive and not much else - integrated Intel Extreme graphics! YAY! (that I'm still running, it's sitting on my chest as I lie on the couch and type at this moment)

I've also got a Dell Dimension 4700 desktop with P-4 3.0 @ 800FSB, 1GB DDR2, 160GB SATA HDD, dual layer DVD burner, 17" LCD (soon to be 19" LCD) and once again, integrated graphics (but it does have a free PCI Express x16 slot should I choose to upgrade). I only play old MAME games so the py graphics do me just fine.

Before the Dells I used to be an AMD man and still do "root" for AMD in any shootout I see because I like the underdog (and AMD just flat out kicks Intel's ass). I was gonna build a new AMD system, actually, but wanted a laptop and AMD had nothing to offer at the time. Then when I bought my desktop I once again considered building an Athlon 64 system but I couldn't even approach the price on the Dell so I bought it. The last system I had before the laptop was a getting-long-in-the-tooth Athlon XP 1700+, before that was a 1400mHz AMD Thunderbird, before that was an 1100 T-Bird, and before that was a K6/2 550. That was preceded by a K6/3 450 (which IMHO was a better chip than the K6/2 550, but I gave the K6/3 to my sister, who is still using it). prior to that I had a K6/2 350. Before that was a K6/166, and before that was an AMD 486 DX2/80 (the first computer I had a CD burner on, a Yamaha 4x SCSI tray load job that cost $800 at the time). That replaced an AMD 386SX25, which replaced my only other Intel machine (other than the two Dells), a 286-12. Before the 286 I had a Fujitech Jumbo 8086-6, my first "real" computer. That was 1989, grade 11.

I'll probably replace the laptop next year with an AMD machine, depending on what is happening on the technology front in Dec/06

I wasn't making fun of your age, BTW, I was lamenting mine...
2015 Mustang GT Premium - 5.0, 6-speed, Guard Green - too much awesome for one car

1988 5.0 Thunderbird :birdsmily: SOLD SEPT 11 2010: TC front clip/hood ♣ Body & paint completed Oct 2007 ♣ 3.55 TC rear end and front brakes ♣ TC interior ♣ CHE rear control arms (adjustable lowers) ♣ 2001 Bullitt springs ♣ Energy suspension poly busings ♣ Kenne Brown subframe connectors ♣ CWE engine mounts ♣ Thundercat sequential turn signals ♣ Explorer overhead console (temp/compass display) ♣ 2.25" off-road dual exhaust ♣ T-5 transmission swap completed Jan 2009 ♣

Reply #18
In pcmark05 my score was 3955 for the CPU tests ONLY.  I tried running the total system bench, but apparently I would need to download media player 10 (yuck!) and enable internet explorer, plus activate the active scripting.  No thanks, I just stick with the CPU only score.  Besides, I'd bet the total system score wouldn't fair all that well.  I'm running Via integrated graphics and an ata hard drive for petes sake.  :nono:

Reply #19
Wow eh,still the same score,hmm.
Thought about a new celly,but for the extra 100bucks i'll save a bit and get the p4 3.0e,can't beat that 1mb cache.
Be my first real p4.
Am gonna record my current settings though and see how far i can push this one,like i said it did post 3.7ghz one time but crashed in windows(that was with the old  PSU and not so good ram,even my current OC wasn't altogether stable with them).

Reply #20
Quote from: Thunder Chicken
15???? You had an 1800 Thunderbird when you were 15??? When I was 15 I was using a Texas Instruments TI99/4A in some school classes and Apple II GS's in others. Intel/AMD/CYRIX machines were known as "IBM Compatible" instead of "Windows boxes" and ran at about 4Mhz. Windows did not exist. Data was stored on floppies (real floppies. the flexible 5-1/4" and 8" ones. 3.5" was state-of-the-art) or cassette tapes. Hard drives existed but were so expensive nobody had 'em. And they stored a full 8 MB (that's megabytes, not gigabytes) and were as big as a VCR. The platters were as big as 33-1/3 long play records (something else you prolly don't remember :D)

Young pups these days...

When I was 15(1965), we were watching first runs of Star Trek(in B&W) and waiting on computers for home and school to be invented....

Young pups these days... :D