Skip to main content
Topic: Celeron D 50% overclock (Read 3623 times) previous topic - next topic

Celeron D 50% overclock

I simply couldn't resist trying out the new Celerons.  Hoping for more bandwidth and slightly higher clock speed, I tossed out my overclocked celeron 2.0 (@3.0 GHz) for a Celeron D 310.  I sort of had to pioneer a way to pin mod the Celeron D for 800 MHz fsb; as far as I know, there are no websites telling how to trick a motherboard into running a native 533 fsb socket 478 cpu on the 800 Mhz fsb.

I chose the 310 b/c I knew it would have no problems running on the higher bus.  It runs nice and stable at 3.2 GHz/800fsb.  If I had to do it over again, I'd probably have oc'ed the 315 (2.26 GHz) model to 3.4 Ghz.  I don't know how stable a 320 running at 3.6 Ghz would be.  Anything higher would probably require water cooling.  My 310 idles at 38 C and never seems to go above 41 C (wierd :screwy: )

PCmark04's cpu bench has my Celeron D being equivalent to a 2.6Ghz, 800MHz fsb, HYPERTHREADING Pentium 4.

For $65, I'm not gonna complain.

Joe

Re: Celeron D 50% overclock

Reply #1
Running my current 2.4ghz celly at 3.2ghz right now,50% OC.
I find that the newer celly's will usually go 50ish with good cooling.
Running about 30idle and 45 under doom3.
Still want a 3.0E at 800mhz though.Then overclocked to over 4 ghz =).
Just bought a new thermaltake Power supply and new 1GB OCZ ram, system seems much more stable now.
I have been able to post 3.7ghz in the past but crashes before windows=( .

Reply #2
ok first question seens how i forgot. how do you over clock it and what could i do with a 1.5ghz amd athon XP anything?

Reply #3
:dunno:

interesting :screwy:

so how much of a risk is there by messing with your hardware like that? ive got a dell that got wacked by lightning (i think anyway). wouldnt mind sacraficing it for the learning experiance. i never got into this kind of stuff.
:america: 1988 Thunderbird Sport, Former 4.6 DOHC T56 conversion project.

Rest of the country, Welcome to Massachusettes. Enjoy your stay.

Halfbreed... Mango Orange Y2K Mustang GT
FRPP complete 2000 Cobra engine swap, T56 n' junk...
~John~

Reply #4
if all works right if you over clock it the computer should run just turns off on its own if it gets to hot. tho i doubt its good for the chip

Reply #5
Dominator:  what mobo are you runnin?  I take it you must have agp/pci locks on that bad boy?  Me, I'm stuck with a bargain bonanza ESC mobo, m-atx.  I have to physically pin mod all my overclocks.  I'm part of a dying breed of o/cers it seems.

88Sptcoupe:  I assume a 1.5 GHz AMD Athon would be the 1800+, correct?  If so, you have to determine what "core" you own.  There were two types of 1800+, a good overclocking core, and a terrible overclocker called the palmino (something like that).  You'd have to physically look at your cpu and find its id #'s to determine what type you have.  That would mean removing the cpu and all that jazz.  Once you find out which version you own, a simple google search will tell you EVERYTHING you want and more.  I have personally attempted to overclock an Athlon XP 1800+, one of the py cores, and was able to get it up to the specs of an Athlon XP 2000+.  It was only like a 300 Mhz overlock.  Big woop. :rolleyes: I just decided to leave it stock.

Shame302:  Doesn't sound like you've got anything to lose.  Find out the specs for the Dell if you don't know them already; look up the model on the dell website under the support section.  Pay particular attention to what front side bus's (fsb's) are supported for the motherboard.  Since it sounds like the Dell's motherboard is probably toast, I would image you don't need to care if it supports a higher fsb, but if the computer's board still worked, then that's the only way possible to overclock a factory computer like a dell:  to trick the motherboard into running the cpu on the next higher fsb.  Some computers may only have one fsb setting, or you may already be using a cpu on the highest fsb available.  If that's the case, you really can only do two things:  buy a new motherboard, or a new cpu.  A new motherboard will play hell with Windows XP on a Dell or other proprietary system, but it can and has been done, just expect to have to call Micro$oft to reactivate your Windows XP operating system. 
If nothing else, that broken Dell should be good for some parts.  It can't hurt anything by trying them out on a working computer.  If the stuff works, great, sell it on e-bay.  If not, who cares?  Just throw it away.  :D

Reply #6
over clocking is kinda pointless. you can get about 1/10th better performace with a risk that it will never work again. Dont get me wrong, I use a computer at home that is overclocked. I took a 233mhz comptuer and overclocked it to 300 mhz. I dont know what the heat that it runs at and I dont care. I am just waiting for it to blow up anyways. And when it does I will go out and get a amd 4000+ 64bit processor and have a computer with twice the performance of any intel, and still pay about the same amount as a new dell. If you want something that bad, then you should be ready to either shell out for it, or lose what you have.
Quote from: jcassity
I honestly dont think you could exceed the cost of a new car buy installing new *stock* parts everywhere in your coug our tbird. Its just plain impossible. You could revamp the entire drivetrain/engine/suspenstion and still come out ahead.
Hooligans! 
1988 Crown Vic wagon. 120K California car. Wifes grocery getter. (junked)
1987 Ford Thunderbird LX. 5.0. s.o., sn-95 t-5 and an f-150 clutch. Driven daily and going strong.
1986 cougar.
lilsammywasapunkrocker@yahoo.com

Reply #7
That's like saying modding a T-Bird is pointless because a stock Mustang is faster. It's a hobby, and people like doing it. Buying a fast computer is one thing. Building a fast computer is another. Just like cars.
2015 Mustang GT Premium - 5.0, 6-speed, Guard Green - too much awesome for one car

1988 5.0 Thunderbird :birdsmily: SOLD SEPT 11 2010: TC front clip/hood ♣ Body & paint completed Oct 2007 ♣ 3.55 TC rear end and front brakes ♣ TC interior ♣ CHE rear control arms (adjustable lowers) ♣ 2001 Bullitt springs ♣ Energy suspension poly busings ♣ Kenne Brown subframe connectors ♣ CWE engine mounts ♣ Thundercat sequential turn signals ♣ Explorer overhead console (temp/compass display) ♣ 2.25" off-road dual exhaust ♣ T-5 transmission swap completed Jan 2009 ♣

Reply #8
Exactly,it's like supping up your car.
As long as you don't go crazy with the voltages it isn't gonna blowup on ya.
I lost my py $20 300w power supply the other night but it was alot of the problem with my OCing,always unstable, hard to work with.
Little did i know that the new 480w thermaltake PSU(about $80can) would help this much.
Like i said earlier in the posts i.m running a 50% OC and with temps at 30degC idle and 45degC under load, that's cooler or about the same as stock,howerver i do have a giant heatpipe and fan on the processor.
As for my setup:
Abit IS7 overclocking MB(yes it has PCI locking,1mhz voltage increase increments upto 400mhz :evilgrin:  )
Aercool heatpipe with vantec tornado 80mm fan.
2.4ghz celeron
ATI AIW 9800 pro 128mb vid card
Hercules 7.1 digital audio card.
120gb 7200rpm maxtor HD
Pioneer A04 dvd burner
Thermaltake 480W psu
Thermaltake 3000vu skull case with 4 built in fans,screwless design, and digital temp/fan monitor.
OCZ dual channel 1gb(2x512) pc3200 ram with heat spreaders.
Phillips 17 lcd monitor.

Whew, think that about sums it up,all is pretty much a keeper for long time at this point less the processor which i will be changing to a p4 3.0 or 3.2E wich i think is the last of the 478 processors.
Once i get that i'm gonna try for 4.0ghz plus :D . Sweet.

Reply #9
I have Four AMD Semprom 2200+ Running at 1.49 ghz (166) With little help, they can raise to 1.8 ghz (200) with no problems. But the warpspeeder locks when i pass the 208 mhz mark. Currently is working with Pc2700. The Pc3200 memory will help to gain more speed ?

1985 Mercury Cougar V6
1989 F-200 V8
1996 Explorer V6
2001 F-150

Reply #10
MexCougar:  if you're running that Sempr0n on the 200mhz bus, you'll want to look into pc3200 ram.  It may allow you to overclock higher.  At least it will kep your system stable at 200 mhz fsb, and you can set your ram and processor to run 1:1.

Quote from: Thunder Chicken
That's like saying modding a T-Bird is pointless because a stock Mustang is faster. It's a hobby, and people like doing it. Buying a fast computer is one thing. Building a fast computer is another. Just like cars.

Amen.

Haystack:  come on man, I thought of all people you'd know what the hell you were talking about.  It seems like you've not been working on many platforms past socket 7.  Back in the olden days, overclocking was pretty pointless.  You could take a 120 mhz pentium, and if you were lucky you could get it to 166 mhz.  Wow, 46 more MHz.  Not anything compared to today's standards, but back then it was a noticeable gain in performance.  Plus, the guy who bought a 120 or 150 and overclocked it to 166 could brag about how he got the same performance out of a $150 Pentium 120 as the $200  Pentium 166.  Fifty dollers savings is very nice.  :D  Of course there were the dangers, as you've stated, but with proper research and some common sense you could overclock a processor and not worry about a thing.

Flash forward to today, and you'll see there's still the same money to be saved by overclocking a cheaper processor to the performance level of a much more costly one.  Only now, there are no pitfalls to overclocking as there once were.  Just look at dominator.  His board has agp/pci locks and 1 mhz overclocking intervals.  No board had that in 1995.  Ten years time can do that ya know.  Today's cpus will shut themselves down before they ever overheat enough to fry.  There literally is no danger to overclocking anymore.  As for me, my $65 Celeron has the same performance as a $165 2.6 Ghz, 800 fsb, HYPERTHREADING Pentium 4.  I overclocked it 50% (on the STOCK voltage, btw), and got a 70% increase in performance my friend.  I just saved $100 (by switching to geico  :rolleyes: ).

Joe

Reply #11
Hey joe have you run any benchmarks like pc mark or 3dmark?
My system scores increasd by a few hundred on each.
Not to bad for free i'd say.
Curious,you said you got one of the new celly D's,do they run 800fsb or 533?
If 533 howed you endup running 800?
My celly's a few years old now and it only runns stock at 400fsb,now running 533 though.

Reply #12
I've ran sisoft sandra and pcmark04 cpu bench.  In sandra my new Deleron gets beat buy my old Northwood Cely in multimedia (have a hard time believing that), but wins in the other cpu bench, and in bandwith.

For the overall cpu score I got a 3966 using pcmark04's cpu bench test gammit.  I used Tom's Hardware guide to compare.  They show a 2.6 gig HT P4 scoring a 3955 or so.

The Celeron D's run on the 533 fsb from the factory and have 256 kb of L2 cache.  As you know, the old northwood and williamette celerons ran on the 400 fsb and only had 128 kb of L2.  The New Celeron D is based on the Prescott core, so it has the new SSE3 instruction set and a longer pipeline (and also runs noticeably hotter).  I overclocked it by pin modding the processor, which tricked the mobo into thinking an 800 fsb cpu was installed, resulting in a 3.2 Ghz cpu (200 x 16 multi).  No extra volts needed.  :D I have a post on the anandtech forums about how exactly I went about pin modding the cpu.

Joe

Reply #13
honestly I dont care much for intels and yeah I am alittle old fashioned and maybe even misinfomed. But honestally I have killed overclocked computers with my old amd 1800+ that I payed $200. I beat them in both cost for a bigger fan and the cost of an intel. 3 or so years ago I built that computer and my best freind was showing me all of the spiffy stuff that his 2.0ghz celeron could do. He also had it overclocked (cant remember I was what? 15?) and my amd ran circles around it all day with the same ram and video card and operating system. He also payed as much for his new water cooling system as I did for my computer and he built it himself
Quote from: jcassity
I honestly dont think you could exceed the cost of a new car buy installing new *stock* parts everywhere in your coug our tbird. Its just plain impossible. You could revamp the entire drivetrain/engine/suspenstion and still come out ahead.
Hooligans! 
1988 Crown Vic wagon. 120K California car. Wifes grocery getter. (junked)
1987 Ford Thunderbird LX. 5.0. s.o., sn-95 t-5 and an f-150 clutch. Driven daily and going strong.
1986 cougar.
lilsammywasapunkrocker@yahoo.com

Reply #14
15???? You had an 1800 Thunderbird when you were 15??? When I was 15 I was using a Texas Instruments TI99/4A in some school classes and Apple II GS's in others. Intel/AMD/CYRIX machines were known as "IBM Compatible" instead of "Windows boxes" and ran at about 4Mhz. Windows did not exist. Data was stored on floppies (real floppies. the flexible 5-1/4" and 8" ones. 3.5" was state-of-the-art) or cassette tapes. Hard drives existed but were so expensive nobody had 'em. And they stored a full 8 MB (that's megabytes, not gigabytes) and were as big as a VCR. The platters were as big as 33-1/3 long play records (something else you prolly don't remember :D)

Young pups these days...
2015 Mustang GT Premium - 5.0, 6-speed, Guard Green - too much awesome for one car

1988 5.0 Thunderbird :birdsmily: SOLD SEPT 11 2010: TC front clip/hood ♣ Body & paint completed Oct 2007 ♣ 3.55 TC rear end and front brakes ♣ TC interior ♣ CHE rear control arms (adjustable lowers) ♣ 2001 Bullitt springs ♣ Energy suspension poly busings ♣ Kenne Brown subframe connectors ♣ CWE engine mounts ♣ Thundercat sequential turn signals ♣ Explorer overhead console (temp/compass display) ♣ 2.25" off-road dual exhaust ♣ T-5 transmission swap completed Jan 2009 ♣