Skip to main content
Topic: Opinions (purchasing a mac) (Read 2336 times) previous topic - next topic

Opinions (purchasing a mac)

I'm looking into purchasing a MacBook and wanted to know of any pointers or suggestions.
Right now, I'm looking at the MacBook Pro with the 15in. screen.

Okay so my first question. Am I wasting money by going to the pro or would the standard MacBook with the 13in. screen suffice?
I would primarily be using it for design work so the ability to handle the CS3 package is a must. I know the specs are a little different between them but to be honest, I know squat when it comes down to the nitty gritty components. Specs for all can be found here. Considering the purpose it's going to serve, the larger screen would surely be nice but on the other hand the smaller 13in. one would probably be a little easier to cart around.

Now my second question. This is the first Mac that I'm purchasing so what all extras should I get with it? How about the service plan?

I know it's ultimately my decision but I just wanted to get opinions. I know some of you are diehard apple users so your input would be greatly appreciated.

Reply #1
I've got a 15" widescreen PowerBook G4 (same design, different processor) that's been in use for 4 years. Trust me...do NOT skimp on the screen real estate. Go 15" all the way. It's still a little cramped to run Photoshop but nothing nearly as bad as my other 12" iBook. A 15" computer is very portable and fits on your lap better anyways.

Whenever you buy an Apple computer, always ALWAYS get the Applecare plan along with it. For a laptop it should be somewhere around $150-200 and it extends the 1-year warranty out to 3 years. It's excellent peace of mind. There have been minor issues with some things on both MacBooks and MacBook Pros, some of which have necessitated repairs. Those issues have been resolved by now; still, you definitely don't want to get caught out of warranty for a major repair on an Apple computer. Parts are phenomenally expensive.

Options...a few places sell this leather piece of material that is placed between the keyboard and screen when you close the lid, to prevent marring of the screen. That is a very good idea. You can use any IR or wired USB mouse, and Bluetooth if the MacBook Pro comes with it (it should). If you get it...I've got a lot of links to great sites for software (free and share), troubleshooting, updates and news.

I guess the only real decision would be, glossy screen option or not? A lot of people like it...I don't. It makes the black almost TOO black, and working in Photoshop that can probably screw up color perception. And there's also the issue of overhead lighting putting a glare on the screen. I hope you have an Apple store or other authorized retail center around so you can try that out for yourself. For me, personally, I have glare issues in the office environment. YMMV.

Reply #2
Cool, so 15 it is. I'm definitely not getting the glossy screen as the glare and seeing myself in it would drive me nuts.
Thankfully we have an apple store just 25 minutes up the road in Delaware which is the home of tax free shopping. :D
I'm going to run up there tomorrow after work and check them out.

Reply #4
Didn't read much of what Eric wrote but I have to say, if you're doing graphics, MacBook Pro is a must!  The MacBook does not have a dedicated graphics card.  I also have a Powerbook (one of several systems I use for pro audio) and I like it a lot...
1988 Thunderbird Turbo Coupe
'89 5.0 w/ ported intakes, Mallory Adjustable FPR, BBK shorties and H with 2.5" Flows, 130 amp 3G, 89 Mustang comp/wiring, Aluminum radiator w/ elec fan, T5 trans, King Cobra clutch, 3.55 gears, 13" Cobra brakes (front), Wilwood prop valve, Mustang A-arms, Front Coil-overs, MM CC plates, Silver 17x9 R's, 03 Cobra IRS, Aluminum DS, 2002 Mustang dash/console etc..., custom leather seats

Reply #5
Thanks. I haven't had a chance to go to the Mac store yet due to some unforeseen cirspoogestances. Right now I'm just crunching numbers to make sure I can afford it.

Reply #6
I don't know hardly anything, if anything at all about a Mac, but a friend of mine has one and I was impressed with some of its features. Not to mention the eye-candy is has to offer. Pretty cool. My next computer will probably be a Mac.
Brian

Reply #7
I'm still learning a bit about them. Macs are all I use at school and my design job and are just flat out awesome.

I've been itching to get one so I can do my homework on my time instead of hanging around work. Plus it would give me more time to strengthen my portfolio and an infinite amount of time working with and mastering the programs. I really want to get the CS3 Master Collection so I get everything I need together in one group. It's just a wee bit pricey for a college kid on a tight budget though.