Skip to main content
Topic: Problems with my computer build (Read 1966 times) previous topic - next topic

Problems with my computer build

Ok well I am trying to build a media center PC with the following parts i have left out any pci cards cause i just want to get it running first.

Antec Fusion case
MSI 945GM2FH mobo
2x512mb DDR2 667mhz Kingston value ram
Maxtor 200GB SATA HD
Intel Pentium D 820 2.8GHZ CPU

Now everything was new unopened with the exception of the CPU which i got from ebay and it said new in box but when i got it it had been opened and taped shut and there was thermal compound on the heatsink and CPU. Now the problem is when i try to install windows it only gets as far as installing the installation files and then after it reboots it goes to a black screen with a progress bar on the bottom then reboots. I have tried with a 3 regular IDE drives as well as the SATA and none of them do anything different. when i try to boot under safe mode it the last item listed ended in
mub.sys  or something like that but it immediately rebooted after that
i hope someone can help its starting to really irritate me.
Thanks

Reply #1
What ver.win?
Old Grey Cat to this.88 Cat, 5.0 HO, CW mounts, mass air, CI custom cam, afr165's, Tmoss worked cobra intake, BBK shorty's,off road h pipe, magnaflow ex. T-5,spec stage 2 clutch, 8.8 373 TC trac loc, che ajustables with bullits on the rear. 11" brakes up front. +

Reply #2
Try this.
http://www.annoyances.org/exec/forum/winxp/t1042025071
Old Grey Cat to this.88 Cat, 5.0 HO, CW mounts, mass air, CI custom cam, afr165's, Tmoss worked cobra intake, BBK shorty's,off road h pipe, magnaflow ex. T-5,spec stage 2 clutch, 8.8 373 TC trac loc, che ajustables with bullits on the rear. 11" brakes up front. +

Reply #3
Im trying to install XP SP2 with Media Center 2005.

Reply #4
All them Hd's I take this is not a clean install?,Are you booted to the one you need?,If Its sata ?,you need to boot it to it .Through boot up command.I don't know your exsperiance,with comp.So I mighyt not be much help,It seems like you built it right.I ran into this once ,put win 2000 on and then straitened it out,The best I can tell for now.

Reply #5
One more note,XP does not reinstall willingy.When stuff changes.

Reply #6
Well i was just trying different drives to see if one worked when the others didnt. Im wouldnt say i am extremely experienced with computers but i would say that i am above average and like to get into things and try to fix them. I have had electrical classes(though they were dealing with automotive) and i have had a couple computer classes including a programming class. I have formatted each drive and tried a clean install last time i tried on the SATA drive it didnt work but gave me a different result atleast this time the problem i believe is that i dont have the SATA driver installed and since i dont have any floppy discs/drives that work, i cant figure out how to get that installed because microsoft is STUPID. So i am trying to install on a IDE drive and then move it to the SATA after installing the driver. I did figure out that the VFD display was hooked up to a USB port but i have disconnected that now.

What do you think the odds are that something is wrong with the processor? That is my biggest fear cause i got it from ebay. 
Thanks

Reply #7
try 1 stick of memory and or swap them,I seen other people had the problem wouldn't boot with more than 512 meg.bios issue.