Skip to main content
Topic: 84 tbird wanting to put 351w in please help (Read 1696 times) previous topic - next topic

84 tbird wanting to put 351w in please help

I have a 351w with c6 and having problems finding headers any suggestions would be nice also i runing carb to make my life easier lol thanks

Reply #1
I'm puting a 351 in my 84. I'm useing BBK 351 long tube swap headers for a mustang you will have to go to a floor shifter to make them work. Also you might have to bend them a litte to get them to go around a C6

Reply #2
It's been a few years but I helped a friend put a 351 and c6 into a 84 cougar. He used BBK long tubes also. If I remember right one of the tubes on the left hand side was put in  seperate and went in on the outside of the steering shaft. Things were tight all the way around, we clearanced some s on the body and k member also.

Reply #3
Ok thanks another question is there any way i can run my stock hood. Really don't want to run a cowl. Someone said to run convertible motor mounts from a 89-92 mustang convertible to give you your clearance. Thanks again

Reply #4
When I did the 351 swap in my old Cougar I used BBK shortys for a Fox Mustang 351 swap and they cleared the C6, but I did have a floor shifter.
95 Ranger Splash 2.3
88 Tbird Sport :ies::ies:
5.0 SO, stainless shorty headers, w/ Magnaflow lers. KYB struts, KYB shocks. 5lug conversion from sn95 Mustang, subframe connectors, drilled and slotted rotors, 03 Mach 1 wheels. sequential taillights.140 speedo

Reply #5
Stock hood should work fine. Might need to be careful about intake and air cleaner choice. Not real sure on the motor mounts. The 351 in the blue cougar in my avatar came out of a van, I think those mounts dropped right into the 4 cyl k member.  What motor was in your car originally?

Reply #6
It has the v6 3.8 motor in it. I going with carb set up

Reply #7
If your k member looks like the one on the right, I would think any mount for a 302 in that year of car should work for you.  I have a used set from my 289 if you are interested, but they are rubber mounts that are almost 20 years old. 

Reply #8
Any of the 87-93 Fox Mustang motor mounts you get at the parts store are based on the vert design now.  From what I know you cannot buy the Fox motor mounts from Ford any longer.  I know the Energy Suspension units are based on the non-vert mounts as I had to use them on my '83 to get the pan up off the rack.  Everything clears the 3" cowl hood though...

Darren

83 351W TKO'd T-Bird on the bottle

93 331 Mustang Coupe - 368 rwhp