Skip to main content
Topic: 302 speed density to 351W Fuel injected questions?? (Read 3839 times) previous topic - next topic

302 speed density to 351W Fuel injected questions??

OK, I have made up my mind, and I will going with a fuel injected 351W based stroker in the cougar. I currently have a speed density non ho 5.0, I have mass air conversion kit for the 302, can I use the 302 computer for the 351 or do I have to order a computer for the 351? Someone from another site said they are the same, but I am skeptical. Forgive my stupidity but I am fairly new to fuel injected fords.

Reply #1
When you do the mass air conversion, what computer are you going to use?  I would  assume A9L or auto mass HO 5.0 computer.  If that is your plans than that is a well supported EEC-IV computer.  You can get Quarterhorse(the chip) and software and adjust the engine size, fuel injector size and boat load of other things.  Then you would have the ability to tune the fuel curve, if you use a mass air EEC-IV setup.  You could also get the Pimp engine management system that plugs into the EEC harness, which is a megasqirt 2 setup.  You have several options.  Its a good time to modify EEC4 fuel injected fords....

There are no SFI 351 computers that Im aware off....except the 250 1995 Mustang Cobra R.... good luck finding one of those!

Good luck with your swap.

What tranny?

Travis

Reply #2
I have a built AOD (5000rpm shift point) with 2500 stall the poor non ho 5.0 can barely make 5000rpm!!. The mass air kit came with a maf calibrated for 42# injectors and the computer is an EEC-IV with a C3W code.

I am gonna go with AFR heads and trickflow 351W intake, when is this is gonna happen, who knows? I really should just put the turbo kit and wait for it to blow up before rip the motor out as everything is here and paid for. It is good to know it is the same computer. Does the distributor need to be changed??

Reply #3
Quote from: canadiancarguy;381769
Does the distributor need to be changed??

Most likely. Just get one from a 351w from a truck. They're everywhere. IIRC, the difference is in the shaft that drives the oil pump. You may be able to pick and match patrs to use the 5.0 dizzy, and maybe not. Something I've never came across any definite info during my data gathering on swaps and conversions.
'84 Mustang
'98 Explorer 5.0
'03 Focus, dropped a valve seat. yay. freakin' split port engines...
'06 Explorer EB 4.6

Reply #4
I was thinking for clearance issues, never thought about the shaft length, but it makes sense taller block longer distributor shaft. Now just gotta wait to save some cash and need to order another set of upper control arms, I guess mustang ones are too short.

Reply #5
Yeah, as you've no doubt (and hopefully not painfully in the wallet) discovered, Stang RCA's won't work..I recommend CHE control arms, but there's a HUGE wait time. I was lucky, picked mine up from a member here.

I've probably got a couple 351w oil shafts laying around here....
'84 Mustang
'98 Explorer 5.0
'06 Explorer EB 4.6

Reply #6
Watch those truck EFI distributors all the ones I've seen come with iron cam gears.  Check with your cam manufacture and engine builder make sure the cam gear and cam material match
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Reply #7
Good point!
'84 Mustang
'98 Explorer 5.0
'06 Explorer EB 4.6

Reply #8
What Bob said...

You want one with steel not brass.  When I was getting a 351 dizzy for my swap.  All I found was steel one....FYI.

Travis

Reply #9
If you are not much of a tuner get a SCT chip for the EEC-IV.  I have one on my Coupe and it is great.  It was $500 but that included the dyno tune and three different tunes (its a switch chip) which are pass emissions test, fuel economy (never use it), and the one that makes all the power.

Anyone of the van or truck 351W distributors will work as long as the motor is a roller motor.  The roller block in my Bird came out of a 1995 van with a 351W but that car is carbureted so the distributor was used by another guy in his 351W injected Mustang.

The rear UCA's are the same as the GM A-Body cars.  Global West sells them with the T-Bird specific spacers but you will have to call them and ask for them.  They cost more than CHE but they are readily available.

Darren

83 351W TKO'd T-Bird on the bottle

93 331 Mustang Coupe - 368 rwhp

Reply #10
Well I found a complete 351 for free out of a work truck. Gonna take the computer, harness, distributor, etc. I have the top end pretty much unhooked, now just got the trans, motor mounts, and cut the exhaust off and I am set to yank it out. Nothin like free stuff, the truck only 76,000 km on it, so that's like 45,000 miles or so. A lot of plugs are breaking though, seems like the plastic has gone quite brittle. I can't wait to see what computer is in it.

Reply #11
Another quick question, are 351 heads a little better than normal 5.0 heads or same ? I have a non-HO set of heads, an F-150 set, an 86 HO set and I can't tell the difference between the 3, but I haven't really check close yet.

Reply #12
Quote from: canadiancarguy;382510
Well I found a complete 351 for free out of a work truck. Gonna take the computer, harness, distributor, etc. I have the top end pretty much unhooked, now just got the trans, motor mounts, and cut the exhaust off and I am set to yank it out. Nothin like free stuff, the truck only 76,000 km on it, so that's like 45,000 miles or so. A lot of plugs are breaking though, seems like the plastic has gone quite brittle. I can't wait to see what computer is in it.

The only computer you can use would be out of a 89-93 5.0 stang (no 1993 cobra). The harness will not work either.  You need to use a 5.0 EFI harness from a speed density tbird/cougar and than convert that harness to support the mass air EEC. The dizzy should work but make sure it doesn't have a iron gear on it, if it does you can change the gear.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Reply #13
Quote from: canadiancarguy;382516
Another quick question, are 351 heads a little better than normal 5.0 heads or same ? I have a non-HO set of heads, an F-150 set, an 86 HO set and I can't tell the difference between the 3, but I haven't really check close yet.

I wouldn't waste your time with any of the ford production heads on a 351w. The E6/E7 heads are not going to feed your 351w they barely run well on a 302.  This is one of those areas I suggest you sit down and figure out what your goals are with this build because the heads are going to determine the limits of the build. 

I would think a nice new set of edelbrock victor jrs or AFR 205's would be a good choice.  I already had a pair of trickflow alum heads and after talking to several people that ran them on 408's I was convinced I could still make the power I wanted with them so I went with them.  Looking back I should have just sold them and bought new vic jrs or afr205's.  Those trick flow heads cost me $480 at the machine shop getting them redone.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Reply #14
Jeez, I thought for sure I could have used the 351's computer (I thought they were the same as 5.0s) and didn't even have to mess with the distributor. I got all the necessary stuff anyways. Shouldn't have wasted all that time removing the harness so carefully...