Skip to main content
Topic: Engine swap input needed (Read 1496 times) previous topic - next topic

Engine swap input needed

I'm only familiar with older carbed V8s , like 1970s and older.

The EFI 5.0 in my 84 is far from speedy.

How easy is a later 5.0 HO Mustang engine with FI ? Is it hard to wire up the later Fuel Injection ? They seem common.

Wondering if a 5.8 out of a early 1990s pickup would be better for more torque, same difficulty other then what looks like a different oil pan ? I found one with low miles. I'm sure the tranny might not love it, though.

Engine swap input needed

Reply #1
going 351 with stock injection is a bit of a hassle, when trying to locate the correct parts.. the truck intake is too tall to fit under a stock hood.. otherwise, everything else is pretty much straight forward.. the ECU wiring, i have no clue, as i haven't done a stock harness swap, just aftermarket injection, which is a breeze
ShadowMSC.com < < Still Under Construction

R.I.P. 'Zump' 8/29/86 - 11/11/11
3- 87 TC's / 1 really mean 83 Capri RS / 94 Sonoma SAS Project on 37x12.50 TSL Radials / 88 S10 that's LITERALLY cut to pieces / 84 F150 SAS, 351M, 39.5 TSL's / 85 Toyota regular cab, 22R 5spd, 3/4" drop, my little junkyard save/daily driver

Engine swap input needed

Reply #2
The 351w will give you way more torque. I mean drive a 5.0L f-150 then a 5.8L f-150. Night and day difference.
1988 Thunderbird Sport. Work in Progress
5.8L swap w/fitech efi, 4R70W swap w/quick 4 controller, 2003 GT rear diff, 5 Lug swap

Bought this car back as an old project car.

:burnout:

Engine swap input needed

Reply #3
an F150 5.0 doesn't count.. you're talking HO firing order (351) to SO firing order (non-ho 302).. it's like comparing apples to rocks LOL definitely 351w though.. more potential
ShadowMSC.com < < Still Under Construction

R.I.P. 'Zump' 8/29/86 - 11/11/11
3- 87 TC's / 1 really mean 83 Capri RS / 94 Sonoma SAS Project on 37x12.50 TSL Radials / 88 S10 that's LITERALLY cut to pieces / 84 F150 SAS, 351M, 39.5 TSL's / 85 Toyota regular cab, 22R 5spd, 3/4" drop, my little junkyard save/daily driver

Engine swap input needed

Reply #4
Do a search and you will come up with all kinds of info on this.  Being that your car is an CFI car I would be tempted to get the Painless Wiring 5.0 Mustang wiring harness and adapt it to the T-Bird.  The harness can be had for about $400 so its not cheap but its brand new.  If you are not one for wiring things and understanding wiring diagrams just go carbureted and be done with it.  Stick to what you know if you are not willing to invest the time and money for the injection.  I say this as to do the injection you will need the EEC computer, wiring harness, fuel pump, fuel pump and return lines, mass air meter, throttle body, upper and lower intakes, injectors, injector rails, regulator, all the sensors (ECT, ACT, oxygen, etc) and a chip to make all this work if you are going to use the 351W motor.  I am scratching the surface here but its a good start on the list of things you will need.

Darren

83 351W TKO'd T-Bird on the bottle

93 331 Mustang Coupe - 368 rwhp

Engine swap input needed

Reply #5
On a cfi car I would go carbed, on a86-88 injected car I would stay efi. If I was going to drive it everyday, fi for sure. Weekend and nice day car, maybe carbed.
Quote from: jcassity
I honestly dont think you could exceed the cost of a new car buy installing new *stock* parts everywhere in your coug our tbird. Its just plain impossible. You could revamp the entire drivetrain/engine/suspenstion and still come out ahead.
Hooligans! 
1988 Crown Vic wagon. 120K California car. Wifes grocery getter. (junked)
1987 Ford Thunderbird LX. 5.0. s.o., sn-95 t-5 and an f-150 clutch. Driven daily and going strong.
1986 cougar.
lilsammywasapunkrocker@yahoo.com