Skip to main content
Topic: FI 429/460 options (Read 3167 times) previous topic - next topic

FI 429/460 options

Been throwing around the idea of BBF for the Cougar now that my track car project is sold.

What I want to accomplish is a factory quality install, fuel injection, and retain A/C and have all my gauges (digital) work as before. As far as bolt ons I'll handle that as parts come up.

I'm open to suggestion for anything to make this as simple and easy as possible. Depending on how easy it is to go carb and still retain everything for a later FI swap I might be open to that.
1986 Cougar LS

FI 429/460 options

Reply #1
now THAT's my kind of motor swap.. completely off the charts.. obviously, the simplest way to go is aftermarket EFI.. for an intake, these days, a lot of carb intakes have 'bosses' in the casting for injectors.. they need to be VERY carefully drilled or machined in order to run injectors.. i would recommend letting a machine shop handle it, because it has to be precise.. there are a couple options for a throttle body. you can grab a 4 barrel throttle body, which looks like a stripped down 4 barrel carb. the other option would be an elbow and standard single blade throttle body, much like what's found on your 5.0.. however, i wouldn't suggest taking that route and using your stock TB, because of it's size.. a big block needs a considerable amount of air to breathe than your 302 does.. if you're a 'stock hood' kind of guy, like me.. the 4 barrel style will fit under a stock hood before an elbow and single blade will.

as for fuel management, i'd recommend F.A.S.T., mega squirt or the holley avenger EFI.. there are other systems out there, but you will get the best tech support from those 3 companies.. as for injectors, fuel pump, etc etc, it all really depends on your expectations and plans for the motor
ShadowMSC.com < < Still Under Construction

R.I.P. 'Zump' 8/29/86 - 11/11/11
3- 87 TC's / 1 really mean 83 Capri RS / 94 Sonoma SAS Project on 37x12.50 TSL Radials / 88 S10 that's LITERALLY cut to pieces / 84 F150 SAS, 351M, 39.5 TSL's / 85 Toyota regular cab, 22R 5spd, 3/4" drop, my little junkyard save/daily driver

FI 429/460 options

Reply #2
The thing for me is I'm never really set on what motor I want to put in it. 302,351,429,460,LSx,3.0/3.2 SHO, I am always wanted to do something different. I think a BB would be a cool start to the train of motors I'll probably end up swapping in this car over the years. 

On that note, that is why I don't want to do a hack job. My biggest thing no matter what motor I put in is making everything function as if it was factory equipped.

I like the idea of the 4 barrel TB. Although honestly stock hood or not doesn't bother me. At some point I will need to start cutting the wants and needs. Although this is my only project now I would really like to keep it on some sort of budget. That might be the deciding factor for what I end up going with.

Now the big issue comes to how do I get it run? What computer, tuning, turner all that.

I'm going to guess that my AOD and 7.5" life are limited behind a BB. So C4 or C6? I would like to retain some sort of driveablility.
1986 Cougar LS

FI 429/460 options

Reply #3
You can get just as much done with a 418 or 408 windsor stroker. If you were going to do a junkyard swap, the 460's used 24#ers and you can use a 5.0 harness with 5.0 computer with a chip.
Quote from: jcassity
I honestly dont think you could exceed the cost of a new car buy installing new *stock* parts everywhere in your coug our tbird. Its just plain impossible. You could revamp the entire drivetrain/engine/suspenstion and still come out ahead.
Hooligans! 
1988 Crown Vic wagon. 120K California car. Wifes grocery getter. (junked)
1987 Ford Thunderbird LX. 5.0. s.o., sn-95 t-5 and an f-150 clutch. Driven daily and going strong.
1986 cougar.
lilsammywasapunkrocker@yahoo.com

FI 429/460 options

Reply #4
well for 1, your AOD won't bolt to a 429/460 and your 7.5 is as good as dead.. lets use 500rwhp/500ft/lbs as an example, because i don't know what you actually plan to end up with power wise.. but a 9" would be the absolute best suggestion i can make.. am 8.8 could live up to that kind of power, but with some goodies thrown into it

as for trans, a C6 is the strongest factory trans ford build, that will bolt to a big block.. some may say the toploader is it's manual eqivilent, but i've seen them break at less.. but if 500/500 is what you're really shooting for, i would suggest a little upgrading on it's guts, so it's plenty capable, instead of boarderline

the new holley avenger is self-tuning i believe.. it's preprogrammed with a tune that's good enough to get the motor to fire.. then it will go into self-tune mode and begin programming itself.. last i heard, they only made it for the LSx motors, but they may have broadened the horizons by now.. if not, they usually send the software with the system to program it

the F.A.S.T. XFI system is GREAT! i love it.. it comes with easy to understand instructions, step-by-step tuning software and is by far the leader in standalone technology and customer support, in my opinion

mega squirt is a DIY system.. you buy the pieces, assemble the ECU and pick up the necessary pieces to finish the system out.. don't be thrown off by the DIY aspect of assembling the ECU.. i was a bit intimidated when i bought mine, but they have great tech support and excellent instructions

as for the 4 barrel, i love it.. i have it on my blue car with a 'carb hat' since it's running boost.. it fits under the stock hood by the narrowest of margins, but that's because i built 'short' motor mounts to lower the motor a bit.. i got extremely lucky with that, as i'm still running my stock TC hood.. on my capri, i have the elbow/single blade throttle body and i like it, too.. but it doesn't look as shagy as the 4 barrel body

3- 87 TC's / 1 really mean 83 Capri RS / 94 Sonoma SAS Project on 37x12.50 TSL Radials / 88 S10 that's LITERALLY cut to pieces / 84 F150 SAS, 351M, 39.5 TSL's / 85 Toyota regular cab, 22R 5spd, 3/4" drop, my little junkyard save/daily driver

FI 429/460 options

Reply #5
Quote from: Haystack;377755
You can get just as much done with a 418 or 408 windsor stroker. If you were going to do a junkyard swap, the 460's used 24#ers and you can use a 5.0 harness with 5.0 computer with a chip.

sh*t! i forgot the late model truck 460's were injected

FI 429/460 options

Reply #6
Not only that, that fast efi system your in love with is an updated stock 5.0 processor, with some data logging capabilities.

If you already have the 5.0 computer in place, then what is the point in swapping it out for the same thing.
I honestly dont think you could exceed the cost of a new car buy installing new *stock* parts everywhere in your coug our tbird. Its just plain impossible. You could revamp the entire drivetrain/engine/suspenstion and still come out ahead.
Hooligans! 
1987 Ford Thunderbird LX. 5.0. s.o., sn-95 t-5 and an f-150 clutch. Driven daily and going strong.
1986 cougar.

FI 429/460 options

Reply #7
if it's a 5.0 processor, than it's a 5.0 processor on some serious steroids..

FI 429/460 options

Reply #8
Yeah I think they took it from 15mhz to like 32mhz...

The stock computers redline is 6200rpm's because that is how many processes it can do in a minute.
Hooligans! 
1986 cougar.

FI 429/460 options

Reply #9
eh, either way.. money well spent.. don't regret it for a second

FI 429/460 options

Reply #10
I was super excited to see one work on the boss's 2.3turbo sand rail. I was disapointed in the lack of being able to run codes, and the complete lack of support from fast them selves. we ended up cutting up a stock harness and repinning the fast plugs, because fast couldn't give us an exact pinout. The computer we were using ended up being a pre production test model, but was identiacal in every way to the first gen system. The pinout for the tps sensor was off. Took them two weeks to figure out, until I pointed them to a pinout for the tps on fordfuelinjection.com.

All and all, I saw no advantage over a stock computer, except for data logging. I can't remember if we could tune it on the fly, but I don't think we could, and from what I remember, you had to be within set values.
Hooligans! 
1986 cougar.

FI 429/460 options

Reply #11
i've never tried tuning mine 'on the fly'.. i let someone else do the tuning, i'm still a tuning NOOB, but it's something i want to get into full force this year and learn.. but i upgraded to the new XFI 2.0, which is supposed to have amazing tuning capabilities and extra logging goodies

FI 429/460 options

Reply #12
If you want to retain driveablility, you should plan on using an AOD.  There are adapters that will mate your AOD to a 460 block.  If you plan on running 500hp, Dan Gilsdorf (A.K.A. Silverfox) who's probably the fore-most authority on AOD's says an AOD can handle up to 500hp with no other modification other than a direct-drive delete converter being installed in it.  If you want to keep the direct-drive function of your AOD, Dan builds AOD's that can handle 1,000hp.  Power-handling will not be an issue for you if you want to run an AOD.  Built right, they can handle the power easily.
William

FI 429/460 options

Reply #13
people pay too much for trans to block adapters.. just saw that bellhousing off and snag a lakewood bellhousing for a 460.. done deal

FI 429/460 options

Reply #14
What if you make your own? I just traded a set of 22" wheels and tires for a complete 429. I see Jegs has a fox body kit consisting of oil pan, headers, motor mounts and oil pickup for $800 and change.