Skip to main content
Topic: Super Coupe Motor In A Fox Body Bird (Read 8020 times) previous topic - next topic

Super Coupe Motor In A Fox Body Bird

Well I was thinking about getting a TC off cragis list that already had the motor and tranny pulled out of it. I also have a friend that is a Super Coupe nutt. He has 3 SC and 3 spare complete SC motors. I was just wanting to see if any one has swapped a SC motor in to a fox body bird. If you have pics or info that would be great. Thanks

Reply #1
1 person has done it........ I hear the wiring is a nightmare.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
***** Project "EVOLUTION" 1987 Cougar LS  & 1985 Cougar Convertible *****
[/COLOR]
5.0 HO 306 roller block, machined GT-40P heads, Wiseco dished forged pistons, Eagle forged floating I-beam connecting rods, Lunati pushrods, ARP bolts, Scorpion aluminum 1.6 rockers, Comp Cams Magnum 266HR, Explorer intake, 65mm TB, MAF Conversion, 19# injectors, Ford Racing stainless P-headers, 2-1/2" cat-less exhaust w/ Flowtech Afterburner lers , SC AOD with 2800 BDR torque converter, 3.73 T-Lok rear, CHE rear control arms, full 2-1/2" frame w/1" jacking rails & seat supports, Rear disk brakes, Turbine wheels, All original interior w/ floor shift upgrade .......
Pretty much every panel on my 87 is new, rebuilt, or re constructed. :D
Join us on Facebook

Reply #2
In before the nutswingers start the endless ford vs. chevy debate...again.

To the OP: search a member by the name of "spazpuppies"...he did or had done the swap with fantastic results.
'84 Mustang
'98 Explorer 5.0
'03 Focus, dropped a valve seat. yay. freakin' split port engines...
'06 Explorer EB 4.6

Reply #3
Quote from: ThunderbirdSport302;375832
In before the nutswingers start the endless ford vs. chevy debate...again.

seriously? that's the dumbest statement i've ever heard, since absolutely nothing was mentioned about a GM motor or any GM part for that matter.. just let it die

ANYWAY, all retarded BS aside.. wiring will be a nightmare if you use the stock harness.. there's a ton of un-needed BS, so the easiest route is a megasquirt ecu.. i've been considering this for quite some time and if my 4 banger lets me down, that's the route i'm taking.. just don't drop the motor in without replacing the head gaskets first.. being a 3.8, they SUCK.. being supercharged, they SUCK even more
ShadowMSC.com < < Still Under Construction

R.I.P. 'Zump' 8/29/86 - 11/11/11
3- 87 TC's / 1 really mean 83 Capri RS / 94 Sonoma SAS Project on 37x12.50 TSL Radials / 88 S10 that's LITERALLY cut to pieces / 84 F150 SAS, 351M, 39.5 TSL's / 85 Toyota regular cab, 22R 5spd, 3/4" drop, my little junkyard save/daily driver

Reply #4
Quote from: Shadow;375835
don't drop the motor in without replacing the head gaskets first.. being a 3.8, they BLOW.. being supercharged, they BLOW even more
Fix't.
'84 Mustang
'98 Explorer 5.0
'03 Focus, dropped a valve seat. yay. freakin' split port engines...
'06 Explorer EB 4.6

Reply #5
Quote from: ThunderbirdSport302;375838
Fix't.

same difference.. suck, blow.. it's all a double meaning reference.. LOL

3- 87 TC's / 1 really mean 83 Capri RS / 94 Sonoma SAS Project on 37x12.50 TSL Radials / 88 S10 that's LITERALLY cut to pieces / 84 F150 SAS, 351M, 39.5 TSL's / 85 Toyota regular cab, 22R 5spd, 3/4" drop, my little junkyard save/daily driver

Reply #6
LOL the motor will be a fresh rebuild so all new gaskets and everything.

Reply #7
My machine shop guy says you should always balance the crank in those motors... it's the weak link in the motor
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
***** Project "EVOLUTION" 1987 Cougar LS  & 1985 Cougar Convertible *****
[/COLOR]
5.0 HO 306 roller block, machined GT-40P heads, Wiseco dished forged pistons, Eagle forged floating I-beam connecting rods, Lunati pushrods, ARP bolts, Scorpion aluminum 1.6 rockers, Comp Cams Magnum 266HR, Explorer intake, 65mm TB, MAF Conversion, 19# injectors, Ford Racing stainless P-headers, 2-1/2" cat-less exhaust w/ Flowtech Afterburner lers , SC AOD with 2800 BDR torque converter, 3.73 T-Lok rear, CHE rear control arms, full 2-1/2" frame w/1" jacking rails & seat supports, Rear disk brakes, Turbine wheels, All original interior w/ floor shift upgrade .......
Pretty much every panel on my 87 is new, rebuilt, or re constructed. :D
Join us on Facebook

Reply #8
felpro used to make a 'correction' gasket, but i think they discontinued it >:l

Reply #9
Well when it comes to 87-97 tbirds I have a friend that is like a walking book. He has a fully rebuilt 91 SC motor, wiring harness and EEC ready to rock and roll for me. He is also the one that found me a 88 tc on cragis list for 300 with no motor or tranny. So I'm just trying to find out what I can to help him along even know he probably wont need it but I still like to know.

Reply #10
luckily motor mounts won't be any issue, since they're the same as standard 3.8 mounts.. i'll be super jealous if you pull this off before i do.. then i'll have to find another capri and do it to that lol

Reply #11
Well a lot of how fast we get it done depends on how long it take to get this 88 TC body. LOL that would be a cool swap for a Capri I don't think I have ever seen that done. But yea I really want to do this swap. My 88 TC that I already have needs a friend.

Reply #12
:headbang: DOOOO ITT!.....and take lots of pictures

Reply #13
I will. I plan on making a how too on it as well.

Reply #14
I almost put a built super coupe motor in my old ranger. It had a comp cam, eagle rods, Ross pistons and ported heads with SS valves and comp springs. I did the heads and my old boss built the engine. Anyway the customer never came back for it and never paid for it. My boss was going to let me have it for the price of the parts. I did the math and it would have been cheaper to put a V8 in it so I declined, and I couldnt find a carbed intake for it at the time.
88 Cougar LS 5.0 .030 over, ported E7s with GT40 valves & trickflow springs, Proform roller rockers, HO cam, removed air silencer, K&N filter, smog pump delete, 2.25" dual flowmasters, Pacestter H-pipe & headers, HO computer, 65mm TB, Explorer intake, 19# injecters, 3.45s, rebuilt posi, and TCI shift kit.