Skip to main content
Topic: Engine Compartment detailing (Read 1813 times) previous topic - next topic

Engine Compartment detailing

I was thinking, is it too much of a pain in the ass to try to fill in a bunch of the holes in the engine compartment on the firewall and wheel wells? Can they just be filled with bondo, or will that be no good with the engine heat?
Someday when I finally get my engine ready to go in, I won't have a whole lot of time for the car to be down, like a 3 day weekend maybe at most, and I don't want the engine compartment all shiznitty. that, and another decade or 2 down the road when I get it painted :p I don't want my engine compartment to be shiznit brown and the rest of the car be blue or black or whatever I decide upon. I want to make it probably flat or satin black, what kind of paint should be used?

I'm bored and want something to do to my car!! :p

Re: Engine Compartment detailing

Reply #1
Yes it is a major pain, they need to be welded filled and sanded. Expect to spend in the area of 200-300 hours to do a proper job, not really a weekend project.  :sawzall:

Reply #2
why do they need to be welded? what's wrong with bondo or like JB weld or somethin? :p It is never going to be a show car, I just want it lookin a little better

Reply #3
could try lead'n em :p or better yet, run your wireing harness around everything, and all your lines, then bend up some sheat metal to cover the shock tower/fender frames and make a radiator cover for the front top to match.

Reply #4
It's a big job to do and requires welding and bondo work. I considered that and hiding the wiring on my car when I did the engine swap but man there are a sh#t load of holes to fill and the TC has an overwhelming amount of wiring under there. I simply painted it body color and in the end I'm glad that's all I did as most of the holes aren't visible anyway with all the stuff under there. Depends on your standards...I wasn't looking to build a show piece...just something that looked clean.

Before...

After...

Reply #5
Quote from: Manson
could try lead'n em :p or better yet, run your wireing harness around everything, and all your lines, then bend up some sheat metal to cover the shock tower/fender frames and make a radiator cover for the front top to match.

I could do that, make it all mirror-finish stainless steel so when you look under the hood you go blind  :giggle:

yeah, some light gauge stuff would work well, just hafta figure out how to bendalate it all up so it'll look good...

, good idea!!  :cheers: